Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Pittiful State of Our Nation

As I write this post, I am completely saddned and angry at the state of our nation. As men and women continue to fight in Iraq, without any resolution in sight, thousands of people in New Orleans and Mississippi continue to struggle, some begging for help, being without homes, jobs, or any type of public assistance. The National Guard is trickeling in, and meanwhile, we, as a country, continue to have most of our troups fighting in and for a war that has little, if anything to do with the United States. According to Drudge Report, Bush is not supposed to go to these battered area until Friday:
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/01/D8CBGP7G1
Meanwhile, gas in the south is raising, with some cities reporting a cost of close to $6.00 per gallon and growing.

It would sure be a kind and heartfelt gesture if some of those Bushes would make private donations from their own oil money to help these poor souls in need until the government can get its act together and do an appropraite job.

When is this administration going to begin to take any type of real interest in the citizens of the United States of America? Why is help not on the way, faster, and in a more efficient way to those poor souls affected by the hurricane who remain desparate and in a state of need? Should some efforts not be made to bring back our troops from Iraq and take care of the business here at home?Has this country become so unfeeling and numb to the needs of its own citizens, that private people, enterprises and movie stars need to put together packages, auctions and pleas of support?
What is this country all about anymore? Are these the values that you want to instill and teach to your children? Is looting a necessitity in order to survive because this administration cannot and will not do its proper job and act?

I am as mad as hell...

Whew....I feel so much better...And my brief is finished!

Thank you for your minds.

24 Comments:

Blogger United We Lay said...

People on my site are angry at me because I'm watching BBC and Univision and telling the truth about what's going on down there. Our stations are not accurately covering it. Then people have the nerve to be angry at me because I fault the government not only for allowing this to happen, but also for allowing it to happen for so long. And our President is asking people for CASH in the richest country in the world.

2:21 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

PC,

Let the people on your site speak as they must, and hopefully you will be given the same kindness and courtesy.

The government, especially this President, will not readidly accept fault or blame. We know this already from Iraq, Rumsfeld, the Downing Street Memo. To behave otherwise, would be truly suprising.

It just saddens me that our country has become so insensitive to the needs of its citizens.

2:29 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Brandon, I agree with you.

We have already gone to hell, however, and seem to be slipping down that black hole at a faster speed.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Niobium said...

He will never bring himself down to the level of "the people" because there is no reason for him to. Sure, we bloggers type our fingers bloody trying to get him to notice, but it won't do any good. He's never had to work, never had a want, never been without. I'd say he's Marie Antoinette, reincarnated.

Maybe some good will come out of this. Maybe Joe Public will see him for the rotten egg that he is and throw his ass out of the White House--a place he bought.

I posted about this just now.

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is extremely sad that people are in such desperate need in the south right now and, in fact, dying. how can we get news crews down there, but can't get other help in? maybe bush has forgotten about the high rates of unemployment and poverty with the average folks here ... the same ones he's asking to help out with cash. it's sad that celebrities seem to be relied upon to raise money, but at least they help. as for bush's "zero tolerance" on looters -- i think most of the looters are doing so out of desperation (and i can absolutely see their point of view -- you do what you have to when it comes down to it).

3:02 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Do you think Bush would opine the same zero tolerance for oil looters?

Just a simple question...

3:09 PM  
Blogger Lila said...

It does seem like more could be done somehow. I don't minimize how incredibly hard the logistics are, etc. But moving people into the HOUSTON Astrodome? What the heck is THAT all about? Get these folks some real shelter! Maybe some cheap hotel rooms a LITTLE closer to their home and people/families.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Elisa....you bring up a very good point...Why is it we can get reporter's down there...but no real help for the people??.....This all is just crazy...I say send out whoever they need to get them people some help....If we didn't have so many troops over seas...maybe they would have help.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Scott W said...

In early 2001, the Federal Emergency Management Agency issued a report stating that a hurricane striking New Orleans was one of the three most likely disasters in the U.S., including a terrorist attack on New York City. But by 2003 the federal funding for the flood control project essentially dried up as it was drained into the Iraq war. In 2004, the Bush administration cut funding requested by the New Orleans district of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for holding back the waters of Lake Pontchartrain by more than 80 percent. --excerpt from an article by Sidney Blumenthal for Spiegel Online.

Read more here.

9:01 PM  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Bush should be forced to live in the Astrodome for a night.

We are witnessing the largest CRIMINAL ACTION the US Government has ever been part of. Criminal. Nothing short.

Someone please tell the president what to do!

This disaster strikes close to home for me. I was hit my Katrina in South Florida. I was in the eye. It was a weak hurricane, barely a category 1 - but what if it was a category 5 when it hit? What if it was me stuck on my roof? Would I get rescued, or would my bloated dead body be ratings for some news network?

I have lost any and all faith in FEMA, or the ability and willingness of the federal government to provide aid to people in need.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

Right now, during this time of turbulence and trouble for this great American nation am I proud to be a citizen of the U.S. Don't get me wrong: I have double citizenship and am just as proud to be a citizen of Israel but America is amazing and President Bush is defending the rights and liberties we, as Americans hold so dear.

Not only has Bush led the invasion of Iraq, succesfully liberating the Iraqi people and freeing the world and the Middle East from a hate-mongering dictator, he has intilled hope that this world can change for the better.

I don't understand exactly what the liberals commenting above are praising...Are you guys thrilled with the fact that the armed insurgency in Iraq is still going strong or that are you thrilled (more perhaps) that things are so bad on the home-front...Either way Bush comes out the one to blame. No wonder the country is in a crisis.

Barbara, I agree to disagree with your opinions and respect you no matter how liberal you get:) please don't censor me-I know u like a heated debate and I'm the guy to bring the heat;)

10:00 PM  
Blogger I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

I was here, I wrote a ridicuously long comment that made sense only to me... and I erased it prior to hitting the publish button...

I'll just say say "hi"... I think you already hit the anil on the head...

11:34 PM  
Blogger rooster peabody said...

Either way Bush comes out the one to blame.

Stupid is as Stupid does.
He is the one to blame! No coming out necessary.

he has intilled hope that this world can change for the better.

Hee hee.

4:48 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Katrina and its aftermath will be Bush's greateest challenge since September 11th. Let us see how this administration reacts to a disaster,which it seems, will have even greater magnitude and effect on the citizens of this country in the long run.

Truthfully, I am stunned that there has not been a quicker response from this government.

7:15 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

NJ,

Aaron,

How can you be so sure that the Bushes have made donations? If so, I am sure we would have heard about it. Somehow, I do not see them parting with thier money except if it will make more more of it for themselves. Humanitarians, they are not, and I would not expect any of the Bushes to step up to the plate in that way. But I could be wrong!

7:17 AM  
Blogger DAG said...

Brandon robbins..How are on earth is Bush "profiting" from this? And you excuse criminal behavior by saying they have no choice? How Ludicrous!


Niobium, it is Clinton, not bush wh has never held a job......

Elisa, Looting food is desperation, looting TV's is criminal


Scott, I would take ANY report from Blumenthal, wh bashes BUsh at ever turn with a grain of salt...but even if true, what stopped LA from fixing it themselves?

Lazt Iguna, please name the criminal statute violated......

8:22 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Bush himself is claiming that the relief efforts are not acceptable!
But then again, neither is his reaction to this crisis.

Do you really believe, in light of the failure to act, and the manner in which this country has repsonded to this crisis, that we are truly prepared here in the United States for a terrorist attack?

We are too busy in Iraq, making sure that they are prepared for democracy, rather than caring about the citizens of this country. It appauls me!

8:34 AM  
Blogger Scott W said...

dag, you need better writing skills. What are you trying to say?

9:38 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Two words, greg:

George Bush!

12:46 PM  
Blogger GodlessMom said...

It hurts so much to watch this unfold. I know that I am unaware of all the complexities of running a rescue operation of this type but I am stunned by the complete lack of response thus far.

These are my countrymen and they are dying by the thousands right here in my homeland because of the ineptitude of our mammoth bureaucracy. Where does the buck stop again?

1:09 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

godless mom & greg,

It is very painful to watch, I agree. It seems as if many, including both Scotts, are very outranged by the chain of events that are occuring. My son said that we could be attacked again, as we are putting on such a weak face to the rest of the world.

But we must spread democracy to Iraq!

2:05 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Our government failed in both its preparedness and response to this disaster. It is unconsionable that FEMA stood by, as did the Department of Homeland Secruity, who has such heavy reasources and money and failed those in need.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Scott W said...

I am so sad. I watched the news last night and I cried.

Today I watched George W Bush, at the end of his first briefing with FEMA (four days late) that the good part of this will be that we will have a better Gulf Coast than we had before. He really said that. I heard it live.

9:04 PM  
Blogger DAG said...

What am I saying? Im asking questions about ridiculous assertions

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home