Thursday, September 01, 2005

Saddened by the State of the World

September lst has always been such a meaningful day. It was a reminder that summer was about to end, the children were going to be returning to school, the weather would be changing, and usually so would I. Today, I see September through a rather different, out of focused lens.

As I woke up this morning, the news is glom and dark. Pictures from the ravages of hurricane Katrina loom large on the front page of the newspaper showing the damage and destruction from its grandeur. To top it all off, people are acting poorly, looting from many stores and businesses, and tempers are flying, and anger is surfacing. People are left without jobs, homes and cars. It makes me sad. To top matters off, more than 845 people were killed in Bagdad yesterday as a result of a stampede in the streets, killing mostly innocent women and children, these individuals appearing to be of lesser value to a where women are not as important as men. The gas at the pump is almost $3.00 per gallon, and I continue to worry about my cousin and my dear friend. Even the keypad to the computer seems to be crocked this morning for some strange and illogical reasons, as if like everything else, it is out of place.

When life seems to be unbearable, grabbing us like unsolicited octapus, what does one do to stay centered and balanced to keep from falling down that black hole? For one, I pray, it keeps me centered and focused. I also remember, as my friend Scott W. Reminds us each and every morning, to stay grateful for all that is good in our lives, and know that this too shall pass.

On a pro-active note, I think one thing we can all do is not be complacent. If able, we can get out there and help in the best way possible. Donate money, blood, send clothing or other items to organizations who are set up for those services as well.

Thank you for your minds.

14 Comments:

Blogger Scott W said...

It's tough to be human, and oddly enough, this too shall pass.

7:51 AM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

I feel the way you do right now. I'm keeping my balance by donating to the Red Cross and writing letters to or local, state, and federl officials demanding accountability for allowing something like this to happen.

8:29 AM  
Blogger mal said...

sometimes I think we all despair for the fate of humanity. Then some thing comes along that is beautiful in its self and hope for the promise is rekindled

Grace
mal

8:35 AM  
Blogger Y.Y. said...

ppl are looting because they need food and life sustaining needs

8:50 AM  
Blogger Meegan said...

It's kind of sad that it takes something like this for me to realize how lucky I am. I feel so terrible for the people in the south.

9:00 AM  
Blogger rooster peabody said...

Sadly, I think it will get worse before it gets better. Someone mentioned yesterday that we need a great leader to show the way. I've thought that for some years but have concluded that the person with that kind of courage will not be coming forward. In any case, I believe it's too late; the momentum is simply too powerful. Which is why I have recommended to my 4 children, albeit subtly, that they seriously consider not having any children.
Of course there is the miracle factor! lol.
I'm having lunch soon with some old family friends who are up from New Orleans. Looking forward to that.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Niobium said...

I agree with YY--looting is happening because people are without basic necessities.

10:06 AM  
Blogger dddragon said...

I don't blame those "looting" for food and other necessities. Even fishing rods (tho' the guy on tv with about ten of them, I don't know...). But the ones loading up on televisions and similar items are just plain stealing.

I can't believe that the government and military weren't ready for this and poised, ready to go, as near as they could. Sending ships from Norfolk around Florida to Mississippi and New Orleans is going to take too long.

10:28 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

dddragon hit the nail on the head. Those who are taking to facilitate survival is one thing. Those who are taking for personal gain, such as videos, TVs., jewerly, or other stuff, that is something else. But who am I to judge the actions of people when faced with such a tragedy?

It is my sincere hope and prayer that help is on the way, and that these people can re-build what has been so sadly lost.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Y.Y. said...

callie
you cant compare the two events

11:19 AM  
Blogger Sand said...

My thoughts are with all those affected both in the stampede and with the hurricane.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

I was struck by a coment by Y.Y. He says (I quote): "people are looting because they need food and life sustaining needs". Y.Y.: first of, there's no such thing as a "life sustaining need". Instead, there are life-sustaining resources.

But most of all I'm appalled by the complete ignorance of your comment. Apparently you're a kid who doesn't quite realize that because one person is in need it does not make it alright for him/her to take property belonging to others from their rightful owners. Mostly gangbangers and high-school drop-outs take part in such imbicile action!

What the hell are you thinking buddy???

10:08 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

It still amazes me how, it has been more than 5 days, and Bush is not going to go to that region until today. What does this say about his toughts towards those people in New Orleans? If you look at the paper, it is the poor, black people who are must affected, the scene on the front pages looks like someplace in Africa. Can you imagine if this would have happened in Texas? At least the Texans are being descent people, and unlike our government, as citizens, are stepping up to the plate.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Y.Y. said...

some looters said
the waters will destroy everything in its path why not take it b4
wether its rite or wrong they have a point

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home