Blogging: Fun, Art or an Investment?
Having less and less time to go on the computer these days for blogging, or obtaining information, other than legal writing, it has dawned upon me to question the nature and reasons that I blog.
When I began to blog (here, used as a verb), I looked upon it as an exercise of mandatory writing, an art form, if you will, that forced me to sit down and write each and every day. As time passed, so did the meaning and the definition of my blogging experience. I met some fun people on line, gathered some interesting information, and felt as if I lived inside the Jewish community that I have lacked my entire life! The conclusion reached, however, that blogging was an investment of me, my time and my interest. It was no longer a solitary exercise to write each and every day. When a new post was created, I felt it necessary to visit so many of the interesting people I have met inside of this space. At times, my blogging hours added up to 2 or more hours per day, each day.
When my daughter became ill, I went back to blogging as a means of expressing my feelings, a kind of lamentation in an introspective form. Of course, my never-ending interest in politics, and my intense dislike of the direction the Bush administration has taken this country has remained high on the list of topics that allowed me to let out my feelings as well, a kind of therapy if you will.
Now, I have less time to engage in blogging with my new job outside of the home, and the old one still hanging on (brief writing) as well. As many can see, my writings have been a mix of personal and political issues that interest me. Today, blogging feels more like an investment, of something that I have less and less of these days, which is time.
Here is the question for the week: What does blogging do for you? When you initially started, what was your motivation? Has that changed in any way, and if so, how? Do you see blogging as an investment of some kind.
Thank you for your minds.
When I began to blog (here, used as a verb), I looked upon it as an exercise of mandatory writing, an art form, if you will, that forced me to sit down and write each and every day. As time passed, so did the meaning and the definition of my blogging experience. I met some fun people on line, gathered some interesting information, and felt as if I lived inside the Jewish community that I have lacked my entire life! The conclusion reached, however, that blogging was an investment of me, my time and my interest. It was no longer a solitary exercise to write each and every day. When a new post was created, I felt it necessary to visit so many of the interesting people I have met inside of this space. At times, my blogging hours added up to 2 or more hours per day, each day.
When my daughter became ill, I went back to blogging as a means of expressing my feelings, a kind of lamentation in an introspective form. Of course, my never-ending interest in politics, and my intense dislike of the direction the Bush administration has taken this country has remained high on the list of topics that allowed me to let out my feelings as well, a kind of therapy if you will.
Now, I have less time to engage in blogging with my new job outside of the home, and the old one still hanging on (brief writing) as well. As many can see, my writings have been a mix of personal and political issues that interest me. Today, blogging feels more like an investment, of something that I have less and less of these days, which is time.
Here is the question for the week: What does blogging do for you? When you initially started, what was your motivation? Has that changed in any way, and if so, how? Do you see blogging as an investment of some kind.
Thank you for your minds.

24 Comments:
Hi Barbara!! I saw you posted a post on a post and now here I am with a post. In response to your questions. What does blogging do for me. It gives me a postage free way of connecting with my friends and family. It lets me meet and connect with strangers that I would have never had a chance to meet in the real world. And because I have a second blog... It lets me keep a journal of events thoughts and emotions for somebody to read in the future. A living diary if you will. "Can somebody tell me if I can transfer all my blogs to disk?" My motivation when I started was just as simple as keeping my family updated while Im away. THat aspect of blogging hasnt changed as I have yet to spend a dime on any postage, but with a baby on the way my thoughts towards blog two are a bit different. Blog 2 is a real life daily journal that I keep regarding my new baby and I have at least one panic attac every day that somehow all my blogs will dissappear.
(Found you through berlinbound.)
Taking a peek back at my original blog intentions, I find myself still in sync with what I set out to do which had more to do with creative expression and investment than fun because I hadn't imagined then how delighted I was going to be by how my confidence to write out loud would increase after nine-plus months nor who I was going to meet.
Practice and persistence are at the root of such self-satisfaction, I suppose, but the going would have been tough without the support of those who read my blog.
I'm also grateful for the fine reading and images I've discovered in this community and I know, that I have much, much more to discover.
So, I see my blog as a great outlet for practicing and exposing my writing, as a way of connecting, and yes, an investment of time, too.
Like the time I am not intending to invest in reading back into your blog.
Sorry, I don't know how that not got in there. Must have been from something else I was going to say. I am definitely intending to read more of your writing. Now.
I started my blog because I had nothing else to do. It was 3 AM, and I was drinking beer while watching Catroon Network. I figured I would get a blog to do something. And I did.
I actually thought this would be a flash in the pan, something to do for a few weeks, get bored with it, and move on. But here I am. Still writing stuff.
I started my blog to give me a reason to write and record memories. It has turned into a learning adventure for me as well.
I find that I spend a lot of time reading other people's blogs and leaving comments. I have discovered a few blogs which are mentally stimulating (make me think)including this one. I like that aspect of blogging.
But all of this blogging is take up too much of my time. It has taken on a life of its own practically. I seem to be caught in its grip. I know that other bloggers complain of the same thing.
I suppose I will tire of it someday. But in the meantime, it is fun to me.
Here is the question for the week: What does blogging do for you? When you initially started, what was your motivation? Has that changed in any way, and if so, how? Do you see blogging as an investment of some kind.
I addressed some of the reasons I haven't started a blog until just recently in my first blog entry, but have not really considered the questions you posed, so here goes:
Blogging, like writing in general, slows down my thought process so that I can better crystallize my thoughts. It gets me to analyze my ideas at a deeper level than just the passing thoughts they would otherwise be. It also gives me regular practice and provides me with valuable feedback, which in turn, boosts my confidence. My journalism professor says that writing is like a muscle that needs regular exercise. I concur.
My initial motivation was twofold: First, I was bored in between semesters at Sac State and felt a need to write and decided that I could use some discipline. Blogging helps in that respect. Second, it has become painfully obvious that this is a forum that has gained significant legitimacy and that I probably should jump on the bandwagon, especially considering my chosen profession.
My motivation has grown in that I am seriously enthused by the results. Not just in the form of feedback, but because writing begets writing and I am motivated almost to a fault.
Blogging is definitely an investment as far as time is concerned. It’s also an investment in my future. I am exercising that “writing” muscle. Furthermore, I feel that through my words, I have a means to express my opinion; it's a voice that may not otherwise be heard.
Good questions – good post,
~Mike
I started because I wanted to write, so my intentions have not changed. But I have been taken aback by how many people give a damn about my life!
It sounds silly to say I've made friends here, but I feel like I have. I think my blogger friends are some of the most genuine people I've met. Not all bloggers, but you know what I'm saying....
Blogging allows you to tell your story uninterrupted, and it proves that, when allowed to do so, we all have the capacity to understand... and be understood.
Some feedback is cruel for the sake of cruel - screw those people. And some feedback is flattering for the sake of self promotion. Screw them too!
I now have several blogger friends who know enough about me to give kudos and criticism that never feels accusatory and is ususally on-point. Does that mean I'm a talented writer, or that they are keen observers? Or is it that we're all writers and we're capable of seeing various truths, despite the lighting?
I intend to keep at it. Even when I feel bored of writing, I don't feel bored of reading. To a degree, I do feel invested.
It's good for me no matter what... all I can hope is that people get something out of what I have to say... in my posts, or in their comments section.
I've grown to see it the same way that you do. It's sort of an evolution of the penpal, but now we have 30+ penpals instead of merely one.
Happily, we can often write a brief agreement or disagreement, but there are times that it gets very time-intensive indeed.
With many of MY readers, they don't post as often as *I* do (daily), so it spares me a great deal.
Still, I may have to start cutting back more. And yet, I feel that I have something valuable to contribute. Never having become a teacher (because my parents begged me not to be) I was never able to share certain things with an audience. This gives me the ability to be preachy, funny, witty, entertaining, and informative. I don't always get that daily opportunity!
My blog is a sort of journal for me. A journal of my life's events and my reaction to those. It is very time-consuming. I only put up about 2 posts/week because I am very busyy. But that works for me. If it ever becomes a chore or I run out of things to say, I will close it down.
it changes everyday
It's interesting how blogs evolve, isn't it? I started a blogger.com account so I could post on YOUR blog. :-) Then I started posting random musings so my cyberfriends could respond. I haven't told anyone in my "real" life about it except one or two close friends, my husband, and my dad. Unfortunately my dad told my mom, so whenever I post I imagine her reading it. This is a woman I do NOT want knowing the intimate details of my life and emotions; anything I say can and will be used against me. Consequently, now I censor the heck out of my posts, which is a shame. Part of me wants to keep the blog and post baby pictures on it for my parents' benefit (I think it would be cruel and self-centered to deny them that -- this is, after all, their granddaughter), but then to start another blog and not tell them the URL, so I have a safe place to express myself to my friends. I'm just not sure I have the energy to maintain two blogs.
Most people, it seems, started blogging to write, in some form or another. Others to become connected to the world, in one way or the other.
WW - I am honored that you came into the blogsesphere to post on my blog, and since I have had the dear pleasure of meeting you and your adorable husband, this forum does keep us connected. Since your blog is for you, not others, I think you should write what is pleasing to your needs, and let go of trying to figure out how to deal with others out there, i.e. family. We can reveal or disguise as much as we want with our words, and that is the beauty of them, in my humble opinion. As a 'word person,' I am often challenged to put together the right sentences and phrases, without compromising my integrity, honesty or self.
I use my blog as a means of documenting the past and the present. I have zillions of pictures and videos, and it's a great way to get them off the shelf and share them with my family and friends.
I'm looking forward to reading my posts in 20 years to see what I was thinking at the time.
Barbara;
I laugh because you keep mentioning how your blogging time is heading south, yet you keep on producing interesting pieces.
First of all, since Im after FRED in the comment section, let me say to him that I know what he will think in 20 years.. "GET A HAIRCUT"!! ..
Ok.. When I started blogging it was to create my own editorial piece. That took all of one or two posts. Now I blog about things that I would probably talk to friends while sitting at dinner or over drinks..
But blogging has become the best form of relaxation I can find.And reading other blogs is better than readin anything else. I have learned more from Jewish culture from your blog than I have in my entire life. Its interesting to think that if all of us commenting here were put physically in one place, we might just pass each other without saying much. But yet, here we are 'sharing our minds'.
T
I started bloggin with two thoughts in mind - I was bored, and wanting something to do at work. And secondly I wanted to see if blogging would teach me something on coding in a fun way. And it did! I can fiddle with the templates and make changes. That's a good thing.
What I didn't expect was that I'd gain so many great friends or that I'd keep it up for over a year. And I'm not even getting close to be bored with it!
Rabbit, rabbit!
It's fun... a fun way to journal and keep in touch with my family... and to make a few cyberfriends.
DMJ- it seems odd that you would change your occupation so flippedly. Is there anything else that we should know about you that has not been revealed?
JBF: Thank you for your kind words. I wish you lots of nachas and peace.
Actually blogging has taken time away form things that I should be doing. When I started out blogging I wanted to offer frugal living ideas, but it has drifted away from that somewhat because most of the people want to hear about my life. I don't mind mixing a little of both. I enjoy posting recipes and a few pictures of my family. The bonus is that I have met some wonderful people thru blogging and I love it. I have enjoyed reading your blog. Enjoy your new job, take care of your daughter and don't feel guilty if you can't blog as much as you used to.
I had no intention of maintaining my blog but over time it seemed to be a great way to talk about things about my life, I liked and didn't like.
When I started Weight Watchers I found it to be a great way to keep track of my progress and to let go of the emotions from week to week.
I view it as my personal journal that's open for anyone to read.
my experience has been similar to yours. i started my site to create a daily practice and many wonderful people became involved. my site took on its own integrity that called for my responsibility. but then any writing practice does so, be it a site or a novel. the writing creates its own definition. i must look deeply to see if i am serving what i want it to be, what i think others want it to be, or what the writing seeks to become.
i, too, struggled with the need to participate in the sites of all my wonderful commenters and found it impossible to do. i make every effort to be attentive and responsive (sometimes responding via email rather than logging onto the site for public responses) but i have very little time to visit their sites (i am busy with a book manuscript in addition to editing others). and yet my readers are vital to me, and their personalities and their insight have deepened my own life. i want to be faithful to the gift they are to me. attending others and following our necessary path create tough choices.
i loved reading your post and seeing what the experience has been for someone else.
I started because I had too much time at a certain point, since then I've much less of it, but I continue because I know I would miss it.
In 10-15 years it will also be interesting to know how I felt back then. Sometimes memories are tainted; this blog functions as some sort of diary as well.
As AP3 said, the Pez family started as a way to keep up with each other different than the usual emails. Then we made friends with other bloggers.
It can get to be a burden at times. We need to remember that we are allowed to take breaks.
(just let us know that you are ... sometimes we get worried!)
I did a post about this a few months ago, and got a nice range of comments on that post at the time...
Why Do You Blog?
Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's
Kitchen
And I Quote Blog
[url=http://kfarbair.com][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/_photos/photo_big8.jpg[/img][/url]
בית מלון [url=http://www.kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] - שירות חדרים אנחנו מציעים שירותי אירוח מגוונים כמו כן יש במקום שירות חדרים המכיל [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/eng/index.html]סעודות רומנטיות[/url] במחירים מפתיעים אשר יוגשו ישירות לחדרכם!
לפרטים אנא גשו לאתר האינטרנט שלנו - [url=http://kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/contact.html][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/apixel.gif[/img][/url]
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home