Obsession
Often when someone thinks of or talks about obession, his/her thoughts run in the direction of deep emotion, often passion. Calvin Klein himself named a fragrance after the word, with the intention of soliciting images of fierce preoccupation and desire. More often than not, however, obession has a much darker side, resulting in such preoccupation and intensity of feelings, that abnormal and/or extreme behavior surfaces leading towards a spiral down into destruction.
Speaking from personal experience, I know all about obsession. In fact, if being honest with myself, I would say that more often than not, when I do something it turns into an obsession for me, whether it be shopping, talking about fragrance, going on the internet, this blog, the former make-up site I used to belong to, being on ebay, smoking, drinking or finding a topic to discuss and not letting go. The result has been a preoccupation with such people, places and/or things, that I am robbed of my own time and so are others around me. If the obsession involves a person, the result will often be a dramatic distincing of oneself, resulting in extreme behavior. For example, if someone is sexually or emotionally obessed with someone else, the reaction may turn into a type of distant, detatached admiration. Why can people not react in a balanced way and just be kind, gentle and loving?
Obsession takes me away from self, God, love and service. Having given up smoking, drinking, shopping on ebay, and to a large extent the fragrance board, most of the obsessions that are described above have disappeared from my life completely, and those that have not, have been tempered (going on the fragrance site and shopping.) When inside the realm of obsession, the subject or object takes over my thoughts and actions completely, leaving little room of anything else. Thankfully, I do, to a large extent, live a balanced life today for the most part.
For me, knowing when I am being obsessive means that I must be honest with myself. Dealing with obsession has been about learning how to be more in touch with the intensity of feelings and actions. It also means that I must step completely back, and take a real look at what is going on inside. Often times, I must stop myself in my tracks and retreat completely to gain some balance back.
These past couple of weeks, I feel as if I have become obsessive about blogging. Some of it has coincided with the death of my father, and some of the other personal painful issues that we have had to deal with this year, I understand. But if I am truly honest with myself, the blog has become not so much about allowing myself to write each and every day (which was how it started) as much as it has become about wanting to know what people 'out there in blogsville' think or have to say about my writing. After writing yesterday, I was even thinking about adding a blog counter, which is how my thinking about being obsessed with blogging began. Consequently, I have robbed myself and family of time that could have been used to pay attention to them. Additionally, I have been robbing my soul of the connection that needs to be made so that I can be a person of true love to God, to self, to others.
Here is the question of the day: Are you obsessed with anything in particular? What are the positive and negative sides of obsession for you, your loved ones and friends? Can you share a time when obsesion has been good for you? What about not so good?
After coming to this realization, for today, I am going to be taking a break from blogging for a little while in the hopes of becoming rebalanced once again. For those of you who are observing Tisha B'av, as you mourn, I wish you an easy fast.
Thank you for your minds.
Speaking from personal experience, I know all about obsession. In fact, if being honest with myself, I would say that more often than not, when I do something it turns into an obsession for me, whether it be shopping, talking about fragrance, going on the internet, this blog, the former make-up site I used to belong to, being on ebay, smoking, drinking or finding a topic to discuss and not letting go. The result has been a preoccupation with such people, places and/or things, that I am robbed of my own time and so are others around me. If the obsession involves a person, the result will often be a dramatic distincing of oneself, resulting in extreme behavior. For example, if someone is sexually or emotionally obessed with someone else, the reaction may turn into a type of distant, detatached admiration. Why can people not react in a balanced way and just be kind, gentle and loving?
Obsession takes me away from self, God, love and service. Having given up smoking, drinking, shopping on ebay, and to a large extent the fragrance board, most of the obsessions that are described above have disappeared from my life completely, and those that have not, have been tempered (going on the fragrance site and shopping.) When inside the realm of obsession, the subject or object takes over my thoughts and actions completely, leaving little room of anything else. Thankfully, I do, to a large extent, live a balanced life today for the most part.
For me, knowing when I am being obsessive means that I must be honest with myself. Dealing with obsession has been about learning how to be more in touch with the intensity of feelings and actions. It also means that I must step completely back, and take a real look at what is going on inside. Often times, I must stop myself in my tracks and retreat completely to gain some balance back.
These past couple of weeks, I feel as if I have become obsessive about blogging. Some of it has coincided with the death of my father, and some of the other personal painful issues that we have had to deal with this year, I understand. But if I am truly honest with myself, the blog has become not so much about allowing myself to write each and every day (which was how it started) as much as it has become about wanting to know what people 'out there in blogsville' think or have to say about my writing. After writing yesterday, I was even thinking about adding a blog counter, which is how my thinking about being obsessed with blogging began. Consequently, I have robbed myself and family of time that could have been used to pay attention to them. Additionally, I have been robbing my soul of the connection that needs to be made so that I can be a person of true love to God, to self, to others.
Here is the question of the day: Are you obsessed with anything in particular? What are the positive and negative sides of obsession for you, your loved ones and friends? Can you share a time when obsesion has been good for you? What about not so good?
After coming to this realization, for today, I am going to be taking a break from blogging for a little while in the hopes of becoming rebalanced once again. For those of you who are observing Tisha B'av, as you mourn, I wish you an easy fast.
Thank you for your minds.

16 Comments:
Wow, we do have a few things in common. I love that you're an attention whore too. I'll be back often.
The ADD does weird things to obsessions that I have. I'll be completely engrossed in whatever my obession is, then I'll just walk away from it and never look back. Exception: tracing my ancestory. I pick it up and put it down, but it's been an obession for, ohhh, about, 17 years now.
Observation: in past days you've taken a break from blogging three or four times and I have yet to see it. Lucky me!
statcounter.com
Barbara, firstly I am deeply sorry for the loss of your father. God Bless his soul.
Several yrs ago I learned that it was extremely important to have a well balanced life. Actually it came from a teaching tape dealing with spirituality. So I have no good excuse for my latest obsessions. I know BETTER and have been slipping back to a heavier side on the scales instead of letting them be even.
You spoke of blogging, I have been doing the same thing, neglecting my family, blocking important issues I need to deal with inside, and the list continues.
I have even been considering turning off my blog or letting it sit. (as I have been doing for the last couple days)Not sure yet what my decision will be! I do enjoy more lately reading intelligent blogs like yours and visiting loyal friends of mine. Yes, I feel many of my readers are true friends. I have to allow a time limit for myself though and stick to it.
I do hope you continue to write, because I definitely enjoy your topics and debates, but I do understand about BALANCE. You truly brought up something for ones to think about. Actually though I have already been dealing with it. Obsessions can be addicting and I have enough of those as it is.
Thank you for writing this, I just hope ones read it completely before commenting. Another pet peeve of mine! (laughing)
Your friend....Suzie
Your a great writer...and this last post was very real....we all have obsessions about something...the internet can kinda take you over and it can be overwhelming at times...You just have to draw a line...like your doing now...You go GIRL!!!
Thanks for such a great blog to read!!!
Barbara, I can totally relate to your post. I too have a tendency to obsess about various interests and it isn't always healthy.
My obsessive streak has helped me a couple of times when I had to research various health issues but usually this personality quirk ends up annoying my family or worse. Like you observed, it can seriously cut into family time and personal responsabilities.
I completely respect your decision to step back for a while. I've recently started taking weekends off of blogging and with recent developments in my life have been considering taking some time off all together. You need to do what is best for you!
My obessession is obvious. I am obsessed with education. It's positive because I learn a lot and I'm able to do good things for my family, my students, and my community. It's a negative thing because I am always reading and writing, though my husband has gotten used to saying, "Honey, stop reading for a second and look at me." If he doesn't get me to put the book down, I won't hear a word he says. Also, my mother thinks I'm too smart for my own good, whatever that means. She doesn't like that I offer advice or random knowledge about things we talk about. She won't talk to me about politics because i can quote sources and she can't. She won't talk to me about religion because she knows how I feel. Without trying to sound arrogant, I think there is lonliness is being smarter or more educated than the people around you. Plus, if you want to get credit for what you learn, it's expensive.
If you`re obsessed with blogging, Barbara, then all of us must be too!
If you stop blogging, how will the rest of us get our next fix?!!
:-)
Barbara I got somewhat inspired earlier after being here...could not fight the obsession any longer!! Help me please! (smiling)
Come visit..miss and need you!! (smiling)
Loved your post today...it definitely had great meaning..hope I did not take up too much space again w/my comments.
Susie,
I am not giving up blogging, and happy that you are not either. I am beginning to limit my use.
GodlessMom has a good idea about taking baby steps away from blogging. I am trying to do the same thing, only because it is beginning to interfere in an unhealthy way with my real life.
Be well, and come back anytime! Meanwhile, I will go to check out your blog.
Yeah, it can become an obsessive thing. I hope you can find a happy medium!
Hi B, I am obsessed with cats - I love them dearly as you know. It's positive because it brings a great deal of love into my life, and it's negative because when I hear stories of cruelty I am filled with horror, rage and hopelessness. Example of a good thing: I rescued my Teddie after lots of vigils and hard work, and he is a light in our life. We adore the little fellow. Bad thing: The other day I drove up to our local pharmacy to get something. Just outside the pharmacy a women was sitting on a chair with a poster behind her that said FREE KITTENS. There were two sweet little kittens in a carrier next to her. It was very hot, and I couldn't see any food and water. I was also horrified that anybody would just give kittens away to strangers. There are some sick freaks walking around who could take those kittens to torture them for fun (yes, it happens every day) or people who take them and sell them to vivisection labs so they can be experimented on in the cruelest way. I felt it my duty to go up to this woman and ask her if it wouldn't be better to take them to the Humane Society, and offer to do it for her if she couldn't go herself. She got very aggressive when I asked her and told me it was none of my business. So I told her my fears about the bad people who could hurt the kittens and told her she had made it my business because she was outside a public store, where I had to shop. She started screaming at me, and I walked inside to call the manager. She came up from behind me and started to push me! I was so angry. I turned on her and told her to get her hands off me, and asked the manager to tell her to give those kittens water. I feel I handled it badly. If I had been wise, I would have pretended to be an interested consumer, and taken those kittens home and tried to find a home for them myself. But I acted rashly and allowed my temper to get the better of me.
Hugs to you, B.
I have fleeting obsessions...I will be intensely focused on something and can't escape it -- dominates my thoughts, actions, EVERYTHING, and then it seems as though that pattern vanishes without notice and something new takes its place. There is probably a psychological term for that...but my husband just calls it being fickle!
I have a hard time making myself do things, but then I get obsessed with ANYTHING! Smoking, drinking, spending, internet, reading, Avon, you name it. I have to do everything to extremes (except healthy things I've noticed)!
Princess
All is well. Move along, there's nothing to see here. Hope the family is well. Enjoy the break. :)
I happened by your blog while I was reading up stuff on women and tendencies towards obsession. I have lately been in the grip of an obsession which involves another person and I am being completely irrational which even I can see but I can't help 'feeling' the way I do! I have been having the same thought on my own blogging tendencies the last couple of weeks so it was interesting to see you wonder about your own obsessions... Keep blogging! And wish you the best in dealing with the problems you mention. Take care :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home