Requiem for a Dream
Many of you may remember the visually elusive and artistically stimulating movie, with its haunting sound track by the Kronos quartet Requiem of a Dream. Many scenes in the movie played out as a visual assault on the senses, with a theme leading to the destruction of hope.
I use the title not so much for its content and and significance, but more to talk about the subject of dreams and how they manifest themselves and play out in our own lives. Many say that dreams speak of inner desires, or fears, longings or hopes, something consumed, but unexpressed deep within our unconscious.
For about a year now, I have been having a theme appear in my dreams. Luckily, my dreams are quite vivid, colorful and full of details, which I can remember when upon waking up in the morning. One theme, however, that has replayed itself over the last year over and over, in various forms, is this image of me pulling string through my teeth. The string is tenacious, rough, more senious than floss, but not as strong as rope. I keep pulling and pulling it through my teeth. Sometimes it breaks, and there is relief. Lately, however, it is too strong, and unable to break, and I am left with the act of pulling and pulling it in a never-ending manner.
Here is the question of the day: Does anyone have any idea what this type of dream may symbolism? Do any of you have a recurring dream, or any dream that you remember, that is significant to you, that you would like to share?
Today is a long needed work-day. My blogging will be limited. (but I will check back during breaks for answers.)
Thank you for your minds.
I use the title not so much for its content and and significance, but more to talk about the subject of dreams and how they manifest themselves and play out in our own lives. Many say that dreams speak of inner desires, or fears, longings or hopes, something consumed, but unexpressed deep within our unconscious.
For about a year now, I have been having a theme appear in my dreams. Luckily, my dreams are quite vivid, colorful and full of details, which I can remember when upon waking up in the morning. One theme, however, that has replayed itself over the last year over and over, in various forms, is this image of me pulling string through my teeth. The string is tenacious, rough, more senious than floss, but not as strong as rope. I keep pulling and pulling it through my teeth. Sometimes it breaks, and there is relief. Lately, however, it is too strong, and unable to break, and I am left with the act of pulling and pulling it in a never-ending manner.
Here is the question of the day: Does anyone have any idea what this type of dream may symbolism? Do any of you have a recurring dream, or any dream that you remember, that is significant to you, that you would like to share?
Today is a long needed work-day. My blogging will be limited. (but I will check back during breaks for answers.)
Thank you for your minds.

11 Comments:
Teeth dreams! I have the often.
Mine are of my teeth falling out. When I first starting having them, I would wake up screaming, grasping my teeth to make sure they were where they were supposed to be. Although never the same dream twice, the theme was the same: my teeth would fall out, copious amounts of blood would spill, and I woke up screaming. This went on for years.
I asked my therapist about them and he said that according to Freud, when one dreams about teeth, they are aware, on some level, that there will be a change in their life, a right of passage so to speak. Like how when you were a kid your teeth fell out and you got new ones, you knew you were growing up. Same thing, only dream wise.
Your father died, both your kids have moved out, your dog is ill. These are major life changes and you're feeling the effects of events you have no control over. You are growing in ways that you never have before.
Now, when I have the dream and someone tells me my teeth are falling out, I say "Oh, that happens all the time, don't worry about it." No longer are the dreams a source of fear for me.
Not quite sure, but I do believe dreams have meaning, but it is also in the 'world of the unknown'. My thoughts are we are not suppose to know some things in this world.
However, my sister wrote a post recently on dreams and meanings, perhaps you may want to check it out. Below is the link.
I had a weird one the other day....since I take naps with my illnesses...it was very vivid. I commented on her site about it.
http://alwayzinmiddle.blogspot.com/2005/08/dreamin.html
Thanks Barbara for being so kind and always commenting on my site. So happy you found me not so long ago. Your posts have been very refreshing and informative..esp with me suffering from so many things and facing a difficult time drawing near.
Your friend, Suzie
P.S.
This may be easier, since the last copy and paste did not get the whole URL.... ending in html.
http://alwayzinmiddle.blogspot.com/
Dreamin... (Name of post with definitions)
niobium,
Great analysis, and thank you for your kind words.
In my dreams, my teeth actually do not fall out. It is the string, neverending and being unbroken that is significant. Acccording to my daughter, who is a psychology major, she says that this seems to be about fear of never-ending stress.
Hope you are well, and thanks, as always for your great input.
I think the key word here is PULLING.....Because you keep pulling and pulling in your dreams....So that could mean you keep struggling with situations in your life
Wow Barbara, I bet those are really strange dreams to wake up from! I have no clue what dreams mean but I find it interesting that people have recurrent dreams, it's like your mind is working on a problem and just can't let it go.
I always dream about water, lakes rivers, dams, swamps...weird.
Like Niobium, I have teeth-falling-out dreams pretty frequently. I've heard it has to do with fear of losing control or potency, of, figuratively, "losing one's teeth." But I don't put much stock in across-the-board interpretations of dreams because the real meaning of the imagery to the individual depends on that individual's memories and associations. I could see a baseball bat in a dream and it would mean nothing to me, but to someone who was once attacked by a baseball bat it would hold an entirely different meaning.
Not sure how to interpret the string dream, but your daughter's take on it certainly seems sensible. Heaven knows you've had more than enough stress in your life lately. {{{{B}}}}
I would ask my dentist.
Cheers,
Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's
Kitchen
And I Quote Blog
Actually to set the record straight, Aaron, this statement regarding never ending fear of stress what what my daughter says these dreams are about, not me.
But to answer your quesiton, if I had to say what causes me never-ending stress, it would be worry about my children.
I have the reoccuring dream of failing out of school. I'm either late for a final, failed to study, failed to attend class, etc... and I'm going to fail out of either high school or college. I read that it means I have unresolved issues with school.
I have always had very vivid and bizarre dreams. The most notable one was when I was younger than 5 (I know that because of where we lived) and I dreamed about a little boy -- in the context of a very disturbing dream that I can still remember quite distinctly over 30 years later -- whose features were emblazoned on my brain and whose full name was in the dream. And then our family moved 5 hours away to another town within the year, and that little boy was in my kindergarten class. It still gives me chills when I think about it. Even at age 5 I recall being introduced to him and being freaked out that it was the little boy in my dream. Yikes...goosebumps.
Probably the most recurring themed dream I have is that I am pushed out on stage into a huge dance or drama production in which I do not have any knowledge of the choreography or script or blocking (I do drama and improv, so that might explain some of that), but there are 'important' people in the audience such as past serious boyfriends or prior bosses, etc. I believe I know what that dream means, but I will keep that to myself.
I always dream in full color and typically can remember my dreams when I wake up, even if only for a short time.
In fact -- (Sorry, don't mean to ramble) -- I had one last week that was SOOO vivid that I was furious with my husband when I woke up because of something he had done IN MY DREAM! I knew it was only a dream, but the physical response to my anger was so real from the dream that while my mind knew it wasn't real, my body had to calm down from the physical anger I was feeling. I can laugh about it now, but boy was I ticked off at him!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home