Saturday, September 03, 2005

Is the United States of America Prepared for Another Terrorist Attack?

In light of the failure to act by our government to hurricane Katrina, I am questioning whether we, as a nation, are truly prepared for handling a terorist attack on our country.
In the gulf coast, thousands of people still remain homeless after six days. Up until yesterday, help was slow to come to that region, where many people, mostly poor blacks and whites remained and waited in frustration while our government took its time to begin rescue efforts. Let us not forget that it took our own President over five days to mosey on down there to see what was going on himself. Many people, without food, shelter, medical supplies, or family members began to loot take some drastic measures to protect and care for themselves and loved ones. Meanwhile, word was out that our government could have prevented this type of damage if it had been better prepared, especially in securing the levies in New Orleans. The federal response was a complete disaster and failure, even considering that we have a homeland security division, which should be protecting these very types of events.

Where is Dick Cheney in all of this mayhem? Would it not be appropriate to hear the voice and even see the face of our own Vice President? He seems to have disappeared. We did see Trent Lot yesterday, who sadly lost his home in Mississippi, where Bush said that he should not worry, he would have another home. I do not doubt that for a minute, and think that his home will be bigger and better than ever, with flocks of corporations coming to get it built as quickly as possible. Lott and his wife, after looking at thier property loses, were immediately whisked away by helicopter to safety. Bush said he would have zero tolerance for loters in these situations. Why should be not apply the same standard, and have zero tolerance for our own federal government, who could not get its act together to take care of its own citizens in this country. All of our resources and supplies are too tied up with taking care of Iraq, making sure that we spread democracy to a country that is not ever our own, as we watch people in America scramble for safety, food and shelter.

Personally, I am disgusted and feel a sense of disgrace that the leadership in this country has demonstrated in response to and lack of preparation for Katrina and the citizens of this county.

Do you believe in light of what you have seen over this past week that the United States of America is prepared for another terrorist attack on our soil? What if anything could this government be doing to show us, its citizens of the United States of America, its preparedness, and its response should such an event ever, God forbid, occur?

This post will stay for the entire long weekend, for us all to ponder the possibilities.

Thank you for your minds.

31 Comments:

Blogger Niobium said...

Our national guard is 10,000 miles away. FEMA and other disaster agencies are underfunded/staffed. Fire, police, humane agencies rely on donations rather than government funding. Roads, levies, bridges, are poorly maintained. Hospitals and First Responders throughout the nation are understaffed/trained/supplied. Our president tells us to rely on private organizations for help, not the government that we pay our taxes to.

Prepared for another terrorist attack? I think not.

9:22 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Actonbell, you make an excellent point. Perspective is clearly important here in terms of how we prepare and repsond to what goes on around us, especially, weather, poverty, lack of resources, and even global warming.

But I do not think we are adequately prepared, as a nation, under this leadership for any of this kind of stuff, sadly.

I have a friend who is a judge and he is so upset, that, for his own sanity, he wrote a letter to President Bush and sent it to all of his friends. He was demanding his accountability and subsequent resignation.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Scott W said...

Where is Dick Cheny? Rumor has it he is still on vacation in Wyoming or Montana.

9:56 AM  
Blogger TLP said...

What if the some terrorist group decides to attack us this weekend, or any time soon? We're in a big mess. And we have no good person to lead us.

10:26 AM  
Blogger greatwhitebear said...

okay, actonbell stole my thunder!

But in answer to your question, we clearly are not. And this after spending billions of dollars on homeland security!

10:37 AM  
Blogger dddragon said...

gosh, I forgot we had a vice president!

10:50 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

As for Dick Cheney, maybe we should announce it is ground-hog day and see if he comes up for some air!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Pseudo-intellectual lunatic said...

i don't think it's allthe government's fault. i mean raping women after 2 days is just opportunistic animal behaviour

11:29 AM  
Blogger EarthCitizen #23 said...

Well, I hate to admit it, but this is my Truth, and no one has to think as I do,, here goes.
This should be the STORM that WAKES AMERICA UP from its APATHY.
This week, since I do not have $$ to send to the victims, I have been going through my 'stuff' and organizing piles. Piles of clothing , canned goods that I can contribute, and Another Pile.
The Other Pile is to be inventoried, and placed in proper order. the First thing that I remade, as I have always had my, 'survival stuff', was my BUG OUT bag. A bug out bag is exactly what it sounds like, a bag of things to grab QUICKLY that is prepared and ready to exit in case of a similar emergency here in Charlotte. It sits atop of my Backpack (actually it is a daypack) that is filled with enough items to survive for at least a week or longer in such a situation. Water purification tablets, space blankets, 1st aid kit filled with suture material, scalpels meds, etc.
Next I am refilling ALL my Water bottles, I have always saved water, because to me it is smart, you never know what will happen, terrorist attack, hurricanes, lots of things can happen to a water supply if you are not lucky enough to have a singular one for yourself and family. I will be filling 3 of the 50 gallon drums I have to store water in this weekend.(This is their yearly refill/refresh time anyway)
I think more Americans will do as I have been doing for years now, be PREPARED!! IT can happen anywhere, so the thing to do is 'be a boy/girl scout' and get stuff ready 'just in case'. I don't want to depend on BIG DADDY GOVERNMENT if I don't have to, and more of us should return to our self reliant roots that made America great.
I have talked to my neighbors about doing the same, and think that they will,,, and the doorbell just rung, my neighbor is helping me get some firewood for the fireplace.. so gotta run,, and get prepared.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

We are absolutely not prepared for such a thing. We could be, but it is not a priority with the Bush administration. Fighting overseas is. So, our borders go unprotected, we are slow to respond to disasters, and this is for something that we knew was coming.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Lila said...

It was strange how slowly the government acted, and how long it took W. to make an appearance there.

No, I've never thought we were prepared for another terrorist attack, and I'm honestly not sure whether it's possible to BE prepared, really. But I'm with actonbell...

12:17 PM  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

All my blog posts have been hurricane related since my power and DSL started working again.

I was lucky. In South Florida, it was only a minimal hurricane. Still, over 1 million people were without electricity. Imagine if it were a major storm that took the same path over South Florida. There would be 2 - 2 million out of power, and at least 1 million homeless. The population density here is pretty thick.

Even today, a week and a day later, there are still some areas without power. And the storm was weak. With all the damage up there, who knows how long people will be in the dark, assuming they still have a house.

People in hurricane states now know the truth - DO NOT COUNT ON FEMA! Do not count on the government. Why do we even pay taxes for this level of non-service?

We CAN depend on the American Red Cross. They open shelters before the storm, and do all they can to staff and supply the shelters after the storm.

I hope this storm shakes up some policy makers, but I am not holding my breath. Obviously, they learned nothing from Andrew in 1992. They learned nothing from the storms that have pounded the Carolinas over the years. They learned NOTHING from the 5 storms that hit Floirda last season. And they learned nothing from Gilbert, which did not hit the USA but did kill over 30,000 in Central America.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Zeppellina said...

Hardened journalists from all over the world have been reporting from the ground from the beginning.
They are appaulled at what they have been seeing.
It is horrific.

What is the most shocking is that it would appear that the American red cross were told to stay away. They were apparently told that people would naturally head for the red cross instead of evacuating.
Even more scary, the FEMA trucks were loaded full of fresh water and supplies on the MONDAY, but not allowed to enter until FRIDAY.

The richest country in the world, and people were allowed to remain in 3rd world squalor conditions.

Bush only moved into action 5 days later, and noticeably after the UN offered professional emergency and relief teams.

This is more than simply mismanagement of a disaster situation, it is downright criminal.

Is the US prepeared for an emergency situation?
It would appear not.
Perhaps it depends on where it is, and who`s involved.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said...

I don't know what I can add here that has not already been said. No, America is not ready for a terrorist attack from the outside, but we are suffering from natural ones and ones created by our government. The Bush Mafia is very scary … but can be defeated.

In all this suffering, and lost of lives and property, it is my wish that Americans can come together and sit down and weigh out our commonalities as human being … and put aside the bull, and get down to the business or making life better for all the people living under what should be a beautiful umbrella of peace.

There will always, I believe, be poor folks … but the condition of poorness should not be exclusion from a government where poor folks, black/white/hispanics, and all others not named ... pay most of the taxes, collectively, and receive little or no representation, or even consideration as human being.

We don’t need leaders in the white house, WE, the people can lead ourselves, we need servants in the white house, isn’t that what we are paying for? Goodness … I ran on didn’t I? But I couldn't help digressing.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

I blogged about this today as a matter of fact...

A strong leader would be nice. We have nothing.

The answer to your question is a resounding: no.

I plan to stock up on canned goods and bottled water this week.

I'm not kidding.

Meanwhile Happt LD Weekend, Barbara from California...

Mr. H.K. from New York
Postcards from Hell's Kitchen
And I Quote Blog

4:59 PM  
Blogger The Absent Minded Housewife said...

Don't like how our government responded? Contact your legislators. Let's let them know en masse.

Homeland Security my ass.

5:47 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

After doing a google search, it appears that scott w is right. Cheney has been on vacation in Jackson, Wymoing for the entire time. Meanwhile Condeleza Rice is on a three day vacation in New York, and has not visited her home town in Alabama after it was hit hard by the hurricane.

I am looking at Bush and his responses to people yesterday, and it seems to be a clear opportunity for a photo opp, just like when he went on Thanksgiving day to Iraq. Where is the real action? Where is our leadership?

I agree with you, Mr. H.K. I am going to begin thinking about preparing myself and my family in the event of a diassaster, not trusting the government which is supposed to be for the people, and by the people.

And yes, LI, thank God for the American Red Cross. They have been doing the most excellent of all possible jobs. FEMA should follow their lead!

6:29 PM  
Blogger EarthCitizen #23 said...

Damn Barbara,
I didn't kNOw That you where Starting a Chorus!!!!

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!"

6:34 PM  
Blogger Turtleheart said...

Barbara, your question is exactly what has been on my mind this last week. No, we absolutely are not prepared for another attack. I DON'T mean to be the harbinger of doom, but I am afraid that the terrorists may be realizing we're totally off guard and use it to create even more chaos.

It seems we are without a true leader to direct, organize and motivate the workers so that the survivors can get their basic needs met. Where are all the leaders? Who is in charge?

9:15 PM  
Blogger Zoe Strickman said...

I never made the connection from Katrina to National Security. You're right. It's a big problem. I remember a year or so ago when the electricity went out. I thought that was it. Sitting in the dark and seeing candles in all of the houses and watching as the street was empty, I was sure there would be an attack.

PS - Thank you for helping me find your blog.

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm glad to see that another person has noticed dick cheney missing in action. if the president could not get down there until 5 days later, what's this guy's excuse. i have not heard one word about him on any news show or read anything about him -- and have not heard anyone (not once) question where he is. what is the role of a vice president? and why do we put up with one that seemingly is not around. is he in hiding again?

6:28 AM  
Blogger rooster peabody said...

Prepared to prevent an attack? Of course one can never prevent all attacks. Prepared to manage it? No way.
One thing that rang true for me, as stated by the head of FEMA or HS, I forget: emergency preparedness HAS to be a matter of personal responsibility to some extent. Chaos is not unnatural and we as creatures of the planet should be prepared for it. "Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice." In the same vein, so is civil content.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Zeppellina said...

The west has developed an "I`m all right Jack" mentality over the years.

This is the weak link in the chain, and is what will be so easily exploited.

It isn`t enough to say that those less fortunate have to fend for themseves, and that somehow they are to blame for their own circumstances.

We have to change our outlook, and start caring for the well-being of those less fortunate than ourselves.

There has to be a safety net whereby people who are living in poverty get access to healthcare, dental care and help with housing and education.
The US is the richest country in the world, it can afford to take care of it`s own people if it wanted to.

The money it spends on foreign policy, weapons and overseas military campaigns would take care of a lot of US domestic problems.

World journalists are commenting now on the level of poverty within the US system...they`re calling it Americas` best kept secret.

There is no doubt that this disaster has opened a large gaping wound.

It has also radically affected and damaged the image of the US.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Barb-

I do not believe we can ever be prepared for another terrorist attack. How do you prepare for something that you have no warning about, and comes out of the shadows?

We live in a terrible time.

8:14 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Many newsboadcasters, including Ted Koppel, Aaron Brown, and today, Bob Schiefer, have questioned our government's repsonse to Katrina in the harshest of possible terms, wondering, why we were not more responsive, and preventative of this type of a tragedy.

If heads are going to role, where will they begin their descent down the slippery slope, I wonder.

11:00 AM  
Blogger rooster peabody said...

Of course I didn't mean that everyone not prepared should be abandonded, not at all. We've done a terrible job with the rescue efforts.
But I am cosidering if more effort shouldn't be put into personal emergency preparedness. Education, that sort of thing...

7:48 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

No I don't think we are properly prepared for another terrorist attack. The boarders seem to be wide open and the terrorist could just prance in any time.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Udarnik said...

Before any further discussion on the topic, I suggest a trip to Sweetness & Light for enlightening AP articles and comments.

10:09 PM  
Blogger DAG said...

Liquid, the fact that the poor pay most of the taxes would be a huge surprise..to everyone....it simply isnt true

12:26 PM  
Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said...

Dag, I said collectively .. and this does not include just colored folks. There are a lot of poor folks out there ... there is no middle class ...there's the rich and the richer --- the poor and poorer ...

8:35 PM  
Blogger DAG said...

OK...collectively, the poor dont pay most of the taxes either

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home