What Takes You Out of Yourself?
At times, it can be said, that one of our best friends, and worse enemies lies between our own very ears: our brain, which can think us, at some time or another into a state of chaos, turmoil, or alternatively bliss and happiness.
So the question becomes, if we stay too much within ourselves, what, if anything can take us outside of ourselves? For some, the activities are more cerebral, and may include music, art, painting, poetry, writing, playing with a beloved pet or the mere sights and sounds of one's own environment, during a quiet, contemplative walk. For others, the activities may be more physical in nature, and include sex, exercise, gardening, twelve step work, doing something or saying words that are meant to benefit another, just for the sheer joy of seeing that person smile. The reward is within the other person, not within ourselves.
As Memorial Day descends upon us this weekend, many of us will be thinking about those soldiers who have served in various wars, the meaning of their commitment, and the memories of their deeds. We may honor them in so many different ways, by words, deeds, thoughts, or actions, in some way or another. My heart of course goes out to all of the families who have suffered casualties or losses as a result of war, or hatred, a plight that exists for some, but without meaningful resolution.
Here is the question of the weekend: What takes you out of yourself and why?
Have a good Shabbos and a truly enlightening weekend, and if you can enter the realm and resulting tranquility of stepping outside of yourself, even if for a single moment, or sliver of time.
Thank you for your minds.
So the question becomes, if we stay too much within ourselves, what, if anything can take us outside of ourselves? For some, the activities are more cerebral, and may include music, art, painting, poetry, writing, playing with a beloved pet or the mere sights and sounds of one's own environment, during a quiet, contemplative walk. For others, the activities may be more physical in nature, and include sex, exercise, gardening, twelve step work, doing something or saying words that are meant to benefit another, just for the sheer joy of seeing that person smile. The reward is within the other person, not within ourselves.
As Memorial Day descends upon us this weekend, many of us will be thinking about those soldiers who have served in various wars, the meaning of their commitment, and the memories of their deeds. We may honor them in so many different ways, by words, deeds, thoughts, or actions, in some way or another. My heart of course goes out to all of the families who have suffered casualties or losses as a result of war, or hatred, a plight that exists for some, but without meaningful resolution.
Here is the question of the weekend: What takes you out of yourself and why?
Have a good Shabbos and a truly enlightening weekend, and if you can enter the realm and resulting tranquility of stepping outside of yourself, even if for a single moment, or sliver of time.
Thank you for your minds.

16 Comments:
Reading. I miss it so.
Have a great holiday weekend, B.
meditation
Hi Barbara, I think you might be right about moving on similar planes.
For me, breaking the routine will take me out of my 'self'. Doing the same thing over and over again gives me too much time to think. It things change frequently then it enables me to analyze outwardly, and not inwardly.
People can have the same effect. If I am paying attention to them then I am not so concerned about what is going on inside of me.
Worried about this all week, but, can't always afford the fourty mile trip t'get to the 'puter.
The comment,"soap opera" was too far.
Dang! I write a lot like I talk....words just keep flying out'a the pen, the keyboard or the mouth...
I only meant that, if I remember this right, you don't need to focus on the suffering as it comes along too plentifully as it is.
Go on out there and look at the ocean fer a while, girl.
"course, even now, I've come flying over here and am writing this withouit having read yer blog yet, but, like I said. It bothered me that I had chosen poorly words to use (sorry. I hail from the land where "throw the cow over the fence....some hay to eat" actually makes sense) so I haven't even posted m'new picture yet.
About the jokes.
Everyone needs a little humor, and sometimes when a joke is juxtaposed to something different, it creates a foil for the funnies....
Or, maybe not.
I dunno.
bone man;words flying out of mouth & fingers? That's the story of my life. Honesty is always good, tho.
barb; as most of my hobbies are introspective.
I work to get out of myself. Pysical labor.
Boneman,
I just want to send you a smile and say that I hope you have a good day.
"My heart of course goes out to all of the families who have suffered casualties or losses as a result of war, or hatred, a plight that exists for some, but without meaningful resolution."
Your heart has "[gone] out" of yourself and I second your thoughts -I think it is through empathy and love that we are brought outside of ourselves as well as, as you said: by creating music, art, painting poetry, etc. It can be a challenge, for we all suffer tendencies to hate. On the other hand, although "love" may be an intangible thing, when it goes out in its centrifugal way I believe it is, in some way, a scientifically testable form of healing synergetic energy.
I thank you for the influence of your heart and the use of your mind -I hope it spreads more peace so that others may not experience or cause violence, which is meaningless. It is also an intangible thing yet it does so much physical damage to the world in which we live. Rubble, blood and broken dreams can be documented and measured. Grief can't. And violence has no meaningful resolution.
I think it is good to venture outside of ourselves. If we linger inside too long we can really do a number on ourselves.
Music, movies, cooking/baking, walking my dog and spending time with friends and loved ones all serve to take me out of myself.
Interesting post!
Meditation, Blogging, Battlestar Galactica, and Sex.
Hawaii. On a mountain overlooking the ocean. What a view.
Have a great weekend, Barbara.
Accupuncture is a trip and a half for me because if I move it hurts like a million bee stings so I generally force an out of body experience...LOL
My hubby's spirit has a way of sweeping me away out of myself like a magic carpet ride but I will never share how:)
Holding my children next to my heart is a truly spiritual feeling.
That is when the light in me gets so bright I have to close my eyes and take a deep breath of gratitude.
Thanks for sharing YOUR mind with us and asking such great Q's.
Hi Barbara, for some reason I'm not getting a "comment" link on your most recent post. So, re. that quote,
"Some problems are just too complicated for rational, logical solutions. They admit of insights, not answers. " Jerome Wiesner
Don't know as this is specifically what's being addressed, but as far as problems of inner life go, especially things relating to one's psychology and dealing with old wounds:
I've had a couple of major blows in my life. What I found to be true personally is that while healing was never 100% - there will always be a scar, it's never as though these things never happened - they healed to a point where they no longer had a negative impact on how I lived. So I think this may be a realistic goal for everyone who bears some wounds, which is probably pretty much everyone.
I used to try and exercise, but recently I discovered that nothing woks like a good war bath with my favorite music in the background
Prayer with kavvanah (complete focus), gazing on a body of water, walking in nature, gardening, music, art, creating art and anything creative, doing for others, a good joke.
Prayer with kavvanah (complete focus), gazing on a body of water, walking in nature, gardening, beauty, music, art, creating art and anything creative, doing for others, a good joke.
Forgot to answer why! Because I was made that way! :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home