Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Can Feeling Bitter Turn Us Into Acting Better?

Over these past several days, I have been feeling discontent and bitter, even angry. It is because my expectations about how others should act have not taken place. My daughter is ill again, and despite my sending emails to family and friends, many have remained silent. Does this mean that they do not care about her, the family or me? What can we do, to better ourselves, when others disappoint us in some way or another? Can being bitter help us grow into being better human beings and make us think and ultimately act differently? Who benefits in the end?

In Judaism, we are commanded to judge others fairly. In fact, the Talmud promises a devine reward to those who judge in a merciful manner. What does this mean in terms of how we process the actions and thoughts of others? For me, it means that one should acknowledge virtues even in those whom we may dislike and do so without mentioning their distasteful traits. Our own opinion of the person may be inaccurate, and ultimately, the action we expect may have nothing to do with us.

Being grateful for any act, whether it is large or small is a blessing. There may be times when I forget this myself, often wanting more rather than being thankful for what others have given me in the past and the present. In fact, each day, since I have been feeling bitter, so as not to forget these good acts, I write down at least one favor or act of kindness extended to me, no matter what it may be. Afterall, to some extent, gratitude is rooted in memory more so than expectation. Additionally, it does not hurt to do good deeds for others. Being motivated by the act of kindness rather than receiving something back for oneself is, of course, the best of all possible outcomes, but ultimately, an act of kindness is of great benefit.

Many who know me say that my writing is a gift. This blog is now going to be a means for dealing with my own inner feelings, and if the words I write can help someone else to feel good, or to make him/her think about someone or something in a different way, then I too will be greatful. It is now time to have it serve that purpose for myself, and these words that I inscribe today are with the hope of transforming my state of mind from one of bitterness to betterness.

Thank you for your minds.