Thursday, September 22, 2005

The Answer Is Blowing in the Wind

Who among us is not aware of everything that has gone on this year? Just look at today alone. We have seen New Orleans destroyed by a category 4 hurricane, with countless people, still today, left homeless, jobless, and in some cases separated from their children. Earlier on, we have learned of another hurricane, Rita, considered to be the third deadless in history develop stamina as it was upgraded to a category 5 storm, threatening to claim the coast along Galveston, Texas and the surrounding areas. Two separate hurricanes, with horrific consequences, considered the second and third worse in history occurring less than a month apart? What does it all mean? There was a Jet Blue plane which left from Burbank, California that had problems with its landing gear, having to make an emergency landing, with, thankfully a happy ending, bringing the plane down to safety with no one injured. What is going on inside the world that all of these events are colliding together as if on a collision course to disaster? Can we even begin to explain or understand the unexplainable?

On a personal note, I know when it seems as if things are falling apart, it truly helps to look at what we have inside our own lives that make us grateful. Today, was a reminder that I need to look at all of life's blessings, when feeling a sense of helplessness. My husband, my children, my dog, Astro, who is still alive, my friends, and all the gifts, too many of which I can mention, that seem to constitute the porous thread holding all of our lives together.

Life is so fragile. We can see it here before our eyes, and forget how precious it, and everything else around us truly are. In times of pain and sorrow, let us be mindful of who we are and what we have to offer the world, and thank God, for each and every one of them.

On a side note, tonight I am off to see the opening of a Shakespeare play, King John. It is part of the new mission to reclaim my life again. Our son leaves Saturday night for Hawaii, to begin a new chapter in his life, which, of course brings about a new change to contend with in the moment.

Hurricane Rita, now updated to a category 5 hurricane, blowing at 175 m.p.h. is extremely strong, with potentially cathostrophic impact. All good thoughts are with everyone in Galveston, Houston and Corpus Christi, including those already hit by Katrina.

Good Shabbos and have a good weekend.

Thank you for your minds.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, we here in Texas are wondering what is going on, too.

It seems like someone is creating these things. There is another tropical storm (Philip, I think it is called) that is forming in the Atlantic headed for the US in line after Rita does her thing...

11:45 PM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

Every year some natural catastrophes and tragedies happen, Americans only experience it so intensely because it's so close to home. Yet the people who suffer in other continent are still people...

8:30 AM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

The answer to the hurricane problem: GLOBAL WARMING. Evenually the US was going to have to face consequences for its environmental policy. We've been raping the world for years now, and the world is fighting back. I have no doubt we can survive it all, but I think we need to start making changes in our environmental policy and our consumer habits.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Zeppellina said...

The weather around the world is changing. Research now complete shows ongoing damage by the terrible drought France had a few years back, and it would appear that there is a definate change going on.
We have to get to grips with what we are doing to our planet in terms of pollution.
Once global warming speeds up, it will be extremely difficult to stop it.
The obvious sane step forward is to accept that global warming is a serious threat to all life on our planet, and start cutting emmissions now.
Better to err on the side of caution now, rather than face extinction later.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Sometimes life offers more excitement than you want.

But I have to say that it is premature to call this a result of global warming.

Scientists have shown that hurricanes operate in cyclical patterns and there have been other years such as 1933 where it has been just as active.

The bottom line is that global warming has not been proven to be the cause of this and it is dangerous to run around saying that it is.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to do what we can to protect the environment but we need to do so responsibly.

9:27 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

PC

Global warming is a slow process, and if you look, it was quite similiar last year. That being said, I am not so sure that these hurricanes can be blamed on that process. Nevertheless, they are scary and have dramatic potential.

9:31 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

zeppelina & Jack,

I did not see your posts. I agree, that global warming is a slow process, and this may in fact be a wake up call for us all to pay attention more to our environment as it changes.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Zeppellina said...

Personally, I think it is dangerous to pretend it isn`t happening.

The sea around my own Scottish coast line is warming. The white nosed dolphin is no longer present, neither are the sand eels, as they do not like warmer water.

With few sand eels, this year saw the lowest recorded hatching for sea birds on the Scottish coastline.

Parts of the English coastline are disappearing into the sea with rising water levels.

Yes, it could all be some cycle which happens, but, we also know,unless we are wearing blinkers, that pumping polluted gases into our atmosphere is really not such a smart thing to do.

We just have to re-adjust our lifestyles and technologies and develop a sense of responsibility towards this rather interesting little planet which we live on.

If we don`t, then we are no better than parasites who feed off their host.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Zeppellina said...

I think we were posting at the same time Barbara! :-)

10:15 AM  
Blogger TLP said...

There's been a lot going on, that's for sure.

Is your son actually taking your books with him, or leaving them for you to mail?

10:20 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

It's alot to take in...but at least they have down graded Hurricane Rita...back to a 4 now!!!

I hope everybody gets out of the way of this hurricane.

11:10 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

good to see you, zep! Thanks for your kind words, Lori.

Tan Lucy, he has piles of books on the floor, some he will take with him, others I will ship. What a great memory you have. Letting go, albeit of a child, an idea, a friend, or a possession is not really easy.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

I hope you enjoy 'King John' It is one of the lesser known works. I have seen Macbeth' on stage, with Sean Bean in the title role.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said...

With so many insightful comments, I don't have much to add ... it's wonderful reading, because it takes my mind of Rita. Tomorrow I know I will unplug and try and put my life-line in a safe place.

Right now, there is no place to run and some of us have to stick it out. Looking at the freeways, and the problem those people have, I am glad we decided to stay. Many of them will be caught on the road in the storm and that's sad.

We got to join to heal Mother Earth, so Mother Nature can give us some mercy. I know it can be done ---

Peace and blessings --- until Rita hit I am going to enjoy myself reading Blogs -- and oh yes, without a doubt praying for us all!

5:58 PM  
Blogger I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

Why can't I comment on the next post regarding "personal inventory"? I have sometihg to say - especially today!

11:48 PM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

Barabra,
True, but I do think it's significant that we're having such severe hurricanes because the temperature of the Gulf is rising. We've caused a lot of environmental damage, and though it can't be said for sure that the hurricanes are caused by global warming, it can be said that they are more severe due to the temperature. Though I guess we;re all searching for answers.

4:01 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Such interesting comments.

Rachael, the reason I disabled the comments is because the comment is meant to be reflective. Feel free to send me an email.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Zeppellina said...

Best Macbeth I saw had Felicity Kendall in the role of Desdemona.

She was magnificent!

Good to be back, Barbara.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Zeppellina said...

Okay....

I`m going to try that again, never hold a conversation at the same time as typing!

Best Shakespere was OTHELLO!
With Felicity Kendall as Desdemona!!!

Typing while at work! Trying to talk to 2 people as well as leaving a comment!

Yep! Still trying to fit too many things into the day!

Normality will return soon!!!

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home