Monday, September 19, 2005

Women and Men on the Verge of Meeting Deadlines

Some people love to push the envelope and wait until the very last second to turn in a paper, for school, or meet a work deadline. Personally, I like to work ahead of schedule as working up to the last moment is mind boggeling and anxiety producing for me. As I have blogged, I have been working diligenty to turn in a brief. It makes me feel edgy, frustrated, and a bit off balance working close to a deadline. This current project leaves me with a very small window of time to meet the deadline and have the document postmarked for mailing. The reason being was that part of the brief had to be re-written, and while waiting for someone else's comments, the deadline was literally hitting close to the last minute. The document must be written, with table of contents, table of authorities and printed and bound, with a Wednesday postmark at the latest.

As if working on parallel course, my daughter has a paper due today, which will bring an end to her summer school quarter. God willing, it will be turned in on time, she can rest, and get ready to start fall quarter next week. Her paper is due in less than an hour, and she is literally fighting the race to finish it. Since she always works like this, it is nothing unusual for her to go down to the last second before it is finished, and she runs to turn it in, but in the process, my teeth are clinched double today, having to deal with her deadline and mine as well.

Are you someone who finishes projects or work ahead of time or do you wait until the last minute? If the later, why do you cut time so close to the edge? Does it make you work better, and more efficiently in the end?

An update: We both finished our projects, and tomorrow, the mailing will be done! My newest resolution is to continue navigating and rediscovering myself through books, music and art before the next deadline looms larger than life once again.

Thank you for your minds.

11 Comments:

Blogger Trudging said...

I like doing things ahead of schedule too. I used to practice law too. Brief, tables of authorities, yikes.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Trudging said...

P.S. Thanks for the 449 thing. It helped.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Y.Y. said...

i like to do things way ahead of schedule i hate last minute stuff
the brain thinks differently under time pressure

5:46 PM  
Blogger Lila said...

You know, I've done it both ways. YOUR way is certainly better, in general. However, sometimes I feel like I'm more focused on a tight deadline, which is maybe why I occasionally procrastinate.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Niobium said...

I do both, but usually have them done before hand. Often, it depends on how my ADD is control my brain or if I'm controling my brain.

6:03 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

We have BOTH finished, thankfully.

Tomorrow is a brand new day!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

I'm glad you both finished Barb!!

I've done both as well....Only thing about being ahead is....I tend to go back over and over...till I'm still cutting it close!!!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

It depends on whether or not I like the project. If it's fun, I'll delve into it right away. If it's serious or will be a chore, I sometimes will tackle it immediately too; for fear that my ID will overtake my ego and I'll never touch it until the last minute.

If it's dull, I'll put it off until the last minute and then rush like mad. I suppose it's in the hope that it will simply go away and vanish? Or perhaps it's that I need the extra stimulation that a panicked frenzy will cause in order for me to finish the project...

7:26 PM  
Blogger EarthCitizen #23 said...

I do it both ways also, but tend to be a procrastinator which I wish to change about myself. When I traveled for business I would always wait till the last moment to pack also,, which drives me nuts about myself. The horrible thing about my current finacial situation is that I ALWAYS USED to pay all the Bills ONE month in advance. Those were the good ol days,,wish I was back to that in my life.. but I had money then!!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said...

You know Barbara, everytime I visit your Blog, I have to smile at the title, because as it relates to your initial post and others comment, it seems to be a wonderful paradox ...

... I do my best work under pressure; because that is how I have been programmed from youth, so I excel under tight deadlines. Weird, but it works for me.

However, I am somewhat of an organizational freak --- in business and when it comes to sticking to my budget, I calulate it months in advance. I chalk that up to survival skills.

2:10 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I have worked both ways and getting the project done early is ideal, but I usually get things done better at the last minute. I think I am more focused, who knows. I think it depends on the seriousness of the project.

I was put in charge of feeding 300 people for a church service project. I had a budget of $300. to work with. I found a wonderful chicken pasta salad recipe and a Texas Sheet Cake recipe for our menu. I got organized immediately with my group of ladies who were going to cook. I bought all of the ingredients on sale or with coupons and came in under budget. I had a wonderful group of helpers with the table settings and clean up and everything went well. If I had put that off till the last minute, I would have been pulling my hair out.

I seem to know how much time I will need for a project and work accordingly. There are some that I end up at the last wire, but I try not to do that too often.

Glad everyone got there projects done on time. Now you can relax till the next project.

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home