Sunday, September 11, 2005

September 11th

We among us does not remember exactly what we were doing the moment that the planes hit the twin towers, the pentagon, and landed in a vacant field in Pennsylvania 4 years ago today?
The images from that day will remain imprinted on our minds and hearts for many years to come, and bleed with pain and sadness.

As for me, I was driving through NYC two weeks to the day, prior to the planes landing there. I had dropped my son off in Philadelphia, where he was ready to begin college that weekend. We were on our way to Queens to visit some family and then we would head back to the unversity, and I would fly back home. On that day, 9/11/04, at 5:40 am, I had was exercising on the tred mill, before the hour and a half drive to down-town where I would go to work in court. Before my eyes, I saw Charlie Gibbons and Diane Sawyer announce that an airplane had crashed into one of the Twin Towers in NYC, unknown was its cause. Within several minutes, I watched as the other plane hit the towers, a live view, and gasped, as my heart sank deep into the ground. Somehow, I knew what it had meant. That terrorism was descending upon us and our nation. Still uncertain what was happening, I got dressed, started on my way to work, and then heard that another plane had crashed into the Pentagon building. Moments later, I heard the same thing had happened in Pennsylvania, and my heart sank as I was thinking about my son, so many thousands of miles away as he was starting his new life. I drove back to my home, and my daughter was getting ready for school, with my husband, as we watched in absolute horror as our country had been invaded by terror.

Almost 4 years ago to the day, we watched as citizens of our country had been affected, like an invasion, by wind and water that caused so much destruction and devastation, reminisent of that painful day, 4 years ago.

My heart goes out to the men, women and children, and all of the families affected by both of these tragedies, and it is sincerely hoped that the wounds of war and nature can heal us, make us stronger and allow us to unite together as a country once again.

Thank you for your minds.

43 Comments:

Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Barb, I too have written my experience. Actually, it was written as homework shortly after the attacks happened, so the story is very raw.
After 4 years, I sadly believe that the sheen of pain and remembrance have worn off. Yes, it is very good that time helps heals the wounds. But, time should not dull or fuzzy our memories. We are losing the focus of what 9/11 should have brought us. For instance, the politicization that has occurred. It's just been disgusting. Also, the plan for the International Freedom Center that is being planned for Ground Zero. Its concept is a complete atrocity and completely dishonors the memories of those that lost their lives on that fateful day. We must regain our core once again. I pray that it will return before the American people face another tragedy.
-OC

8:10 AM  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

I remember exactly where I was too, B, including what I was wearing (jeans and a black silk shirt) when I found out. I had gone for a walk that morning around 8:00 so I missed the earliest news. I came back, showered, dressed, and retrieved a phone call from Greg saying excitedly, "A plane crashed into the WTC; you have to turn on the news!" So I turned on the TV just in time to see the first tower fall. I immediately started swearing and sobbing. I wasn't teaching that day but went in to work to connect with everybody else. At the time I was teaching at Michigan, where the majority of out-of-state students come from New York and California. Naturally classes were cancelled that Tuesday. But they resumed on Wednesday, and professors were supposed to teach. The general expectation was that WE should show up for class, but allow students to show up (or not) and talk as they wished. By the time my class met on Wednesday afternoon, they were exhausted from every class turning into a "rap session" to discuss the attacks, and wanted things to get back to business. Since I was teaching a class on children and the media, we discussed potential fright reactions to news coverage, and how children at different developmental stages would respond to different imagery.

It's amazing how all the details come back when something this unprecedented and horrifying happens.

Speaking of long-term memories and ramifications of such events, I found this review of a shoe this morning at zappos.com. I think it says a lot:

"The perfect black pump for my cranky narrow feet. They actually fit my AAs and the low heel means my bony toes are not jammed forward in agony. I looked and looked for a dress shoe that I could evacuate a high rise building or subway in and walk home in because I live and work in Manhattan. If that isn't a sign of the times, I don't know what is."

9:04 AM  
Blogger GodlessMom said...

You said, "My heart goes out to the men, women and children, and all of the families affected by both of these tragedies, and it is sincerely hoped that the wounds of war and nature can heal us, make us stronger and allow us to unite together as a country once again."

Very beautifully put, it echoes my thoughts exactly.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

An excellent post, Barbara. I remember visiting the postroom and seeing the tv. No one believed it at first when I went back to the office.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Scott W said...

See the posts at Higher Powered.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Meegan said...

I lived in lower Manhattan at that time, and on that day I noticed smoke in the distance as I walked to the subway. "Hmm, a fire somewhere," I thought. "I hope everyone's okay."

Then a homeless man made a comment as I walked past him about a plane crashing into the WTC. I ignored him, thinking, "yeah, right, whatever." For some reason, I pictured a tiny little plane, somehow stuck on the roof of the WTC. How wrong I was! I will never forget that day, being at work at Rockefeller Center, and seeing everything happen before my eyes (we were on the 25th floor and had a clear view of the towers). I have never been so scared in my life; we didn't know what would be hit next. When I remember that feeling of terror, I think about the people in Iraq who are being "liberated." I can't imagine experiencing that daily.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Niobium said...

I too feel for the people directly affected by 9/11. But I also feel for the family members, friends, and aquantiances of the men who felt it was neccessary to kill 3000 people. I feel for the countries whom we have invaded, the children without parents and homes, victims of a capitalist society.

I hope 9/11 doesn't take the focus off of New Orleans. But I'm sure it will.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Niobium, your comments are completely horrific and inappropriate, especially on a day like today. That is in comparison to the professor who wrote an essay comparing the victims to little Eichmans. Just completely disgusting. You feel for the family members of those that perpetrated these atrocities? They supported and sent their children to do this. You sympathize with their desires to kill innocents? That actually brings chills to my body. Do you also feel and sympathize wtih the families of those that feel it "necessary" to send their 12 year children to blow themselves up in Israel's streets and on their busses?!? From that comment, it is clear you know absolutely nothing about these people and about the war that we are fighting. "Victims of a capitalist society"? Tell me, what would you rather have? Tell me which form of government is better, more free, and more properous? Would you rather we be a theocracy? How about a communist country? How about fascist? I know, dictatorship, that's the way to go, right?
9/11 and New Orleans are both equally horrific. However, one is a natural disaster and one was a direct attack on America. Your comment almost implies that 9/11 wasn't a big deal (Reminds me of the great words from "President Moore" that "there is no terrorist threat. There is no terrorist threat."), so it shouldn't be remembered properly during the after math of New Orleans. By not taking away from New Orleans, do you mean all the finger pointing and blame gaming that's going on? G-d forbid, we should stop doing that for 5 minutes to remember an event that should remind us every day what that exact finger pointing and blame game got us! G-d forbid, we should spend 5 minutes today remembering that there was an event that brought this great nation together. Oh wait, America's not such a great nation. Never mind. Forget everythign I just said.
-OC

11:39 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

We all seem to have a story of our own to tell about this sad day.

What makes me even sadder today, howerver, is that when making an effort to create a post about unity, some still speak in words of division....Why can we all not just quiet our minds and get along...To start off by telling someone that their comments are horrible does not speak towards unity, even if one's intentions and points may be good.

12:14 PM  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

Thank you for your mind. You give a personal touch to important issues and observations in this blog.

12:18 PM  
Blogger EarthCitizen #23 said...

Before Sept 11th, many of us had been waiting on a wake up call. I remember when the Taliban destroyed the Buddhas carved into the mountainsides, and I came to work that day all in a huff, telling my co workers how dispicable it was... but they had never heard of the Taliban... and they didn't care about some heathen Buddhas destroyed in Afganistan. I railed on and on .... then 9/11. I was again at work, Becky came in crying telling us to turn the radio on. We got a TV on just in time to see the second plane hit. Silence. I said, "This is what happens when Americans are Apathetic, and walked out of the room" Our Apathy is our greatest Enemy. We must care, even for the families of our 'enemies' we must care, if we don't we risk losing some of our humanity. The division that is created will never heal unless we get beyond this, us/them mentality. I think of 9/11 and the Katrina hurrican as Wake Up calls to America. We must take care of ourselves before we can take care of the world. But at the same time, we must retain our humanitarian aspects that make us such a great nation. Peace to all the souls lost in this sea of unrest in the world.

1:36 PM  
Blogger TLP said...

Yes. I remember exactly where I was the minute I heard about the attacks. I didn't even believe it was happening at first. Had to be a mistake...

1:39 PM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

I apologize, Barb, for my strong words. But, again, politics do not belong on this day. Subtlely yet obviously degrading the country does not belong here, on this day. Giving sympathy to the murderors of thousands does not belong to this day. If only one, ONE day, we could just say a terrible thing happened here, and, as a result, a great miracle happened here, things would be a lot different. But, no, there are those that have to sully the memories of those lost with degradation and politics. I'm sorry. That is just wrong.
-OC

2:13 PM  
Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said...

I was standing in front of the television, getting ready for work ... I never made it. After that, everything became a blur because I was in shock.

I remember thinking that the war had landed on America's soil --- I do recall putting aside my differences with the leaders of this country, and joining with America, as an American ... united, and for the first time in my life I waved our flag proudly!

2:19 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

No need to apologize, OC...Everyone has a right to his/her feelings on this sensitive, and often painful subject.

May we become more united through the grief that this country is experiencing. This is my humble desire.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I was starting my new job, and first heard about it just before 9 AM when the first plane hit. I immediately called my fiance to make sure he was OK (remember we had no idea what was going on then) and to let him know the news. Then the rest of them hit. It was a shocking, arresting day; the day America (and the world) stood still.

2:58 PM  
Blogger dddragon said...

I have a photo of my two daughters sitting on top of my PC monitor. It is Father's Day, 2001. They are on top of the South Twin Tower, the Empire State Building can be seen in the background.

Later, when we were reviewing old videotapes, we came across the one the girls made while we up on the Tower. Goa'uld is acting as a tour guide, and pointed out the sights, and the tall fence that "kept you perfectly safe from falling", as she put it.

It sent shivers down our backs.

3:12 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

What beautiful comments, filled with so much love and meaning.

Thank you for sharing your own experiences with me.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

Wonderful Post Barbara, it is amazing the first thoughts that go through our minds...our children and families.

I also wrote a post on where and what I was doing on that day and my own little terror that occurred being stuck in another country.

We will never forget....and I pray for all the victims and their families.

Take care friend....

5:45 PM  
Blogger DAG said...

Barb, much more offensive then OC's words are the implication tha the people who died, died b/c of america....they died b/c there IS pure evil in the world

6:18 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

There is no question in my mind that the attack on this country from 9/11 was a result of pure evil. Period.

Nevertheless, that does not elimate the need for civility between people with differing opinions, nor an attempt to try to make sense of it all in a way that speaks of common decency. Name calling creates rather than solves problems, do you not think?

6:28 PM  
Blogger EarthCitizen #23 said...

Barbara, and everyone, I think it is interesting how people do react to a different point of view. That is how alot of this "evil" starts. We pull back, in shock to our sensibilities, before we hear each other out. The belief that we are all going to agree needs to be put aside at the onset of any civil intelligent discussion. We are different. I am glad I do not think the same as many people. But, for others to question, my humanity, my right to say what I believe just because it does not toe the 'normal'
path of thought, that is primitive in my mind and very weak minded. I think that there needs to be room for the far left and far right, hopefully if they, (the Extremist on either side, right left) don't destroy us all in their childish debates. Mature, let's jump start the 21st century by learning how to communicate effectively,,,, especially with those with whom we disagree.

thank you Barbara for stimulating so much thought on this matter.

6:51 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Thank you, Scott, for such interesting and meaningful insight!

Wait until you see my post for tomorrow! There is inspiration here as well.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Whitney said...

I posted my thoughts on my blog, so I don't want to double post.

But yes, I remember that day quite vividly. We just finished watching "The Flight That Fought Back" on the Discovery Channel, and it was surreal even though I remember the day so clearly. Strange collision of distinct memory and disbelief...hard to imagine that people actually woke up that day with that sort of evil scheme on the agenda for the day.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Wonderful post Barb...I believe most of us...feel as you feel..It's something we will never forget...always with us.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Niobium said...

I was at home and my friend Lisa called. It was her birthday and she was freaking out because one tower had come down already. I didn't belive her, so I turned on the TV and saw the second come down. I got off the phone with her immediately and started packing as I knew the medical team I was on would be deployed. I thought to myself "we did this to ourselves. We have no one to blame but us."

As for OC's comments, yes, I feel for *all* the families who lost someone. For me it doesn't matter if they were "american" (read: good) or "terrorist" (read: bad) we are all humyn, and someone mourned and grieved for the dead terrorists.

I feel terrible that a bunch of humyns felt the only option they had was to highjack some planes and commit murder/suicide.

I feel terrible that capitalism is ruining Our Mother's resources, her skin, hair, internal organs.

I feel terrible that one nation feels it can invade another for Earth's oil.

I feel terrible that we must draw lines in the sand and call it a border, line it with young boys who have guns, and give them permission to kill other humyns.

I feel shame that humyns can't get along.

I feel shame that we are divided and use bombs, guns, planes, and natural disasters to kill innocent people.

I feel shame everytime I buy gas--for wasting Earth's finate resouces-- eat food that is covered in pesticides, watch TV, read a blog, or go to the bathroom for wasting water and toilet paper.

And I insulted that my opinion isn't valid in your eyes, that you actually think I condone violece on this scale. I don't. I don't support violence on *any* scale.

Katrina is a very real problem right now. People are living in sports stadiums, pets are starving in their homes, bodies are floating around New Orleans. Take a minute to remember 9/11 and use the anger and grief associated with it to help change our gov't to one based on fairness and equality and help those who need it, NOW.

6:07 AM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

OOK, I got a call from Houston. You have permission to enter back into Earth's atmosphere. Please get both of your legs back down on the ground where they belong. In addition, if you are so opposed to the consumption of any of "Mother" Earth's resources, please stop smoking Marrijuana b/c those are the only two ways that I can explain how rediculous your comments are.
Having said that, I can't really comment on what you wrote b/c that would imply you partaking in the "real world". And, I would appreciate it if you didn't respond to this post, as I don't want to be responsible for you wasting any more electricity. Also, please refrain from taking too many breaths, as you are using up the Earth's precious oxygen. Also, every breath you take is one less for me.
If you are so disgusted by humanity and are so ashamed to be using Earth's resources, I would strongly suggest moving to a shack in Montana or please sell/donate your house and all your goods to live amongst the animals in the wilderness. We'll see how the animals find you, and how well you survive. Happy hunting...lions, tigers, and bears.
-OC

11:11 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Thank you to everyone for your own personal, unique and often spirited memories.

God forbid it should ever happen again!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

Olah...miazben huh? This niobium (poor soul) should either shut up before he realizes he's on too much crack or just emigrate to Pakistan and spent some quality time discussing ways of burying America with Mr. Bin Laden. I'm sure they'd find plenty of common interests and hobbies such as blowing (up) and the like.

Barbara, as has already been said, great post! Finally, after all the sickening politics we have something humane to discuss (if only niobium would volunteer to never post his comments again-on any site!!!)

9:44 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Rege 23,

To come to my blog and tell someone whether he/she can post takes chutzpah (nerves). It would be within your best interests to learn how to hear what other people have to say, even if they disagree with you, without attacking the person specifically or putting them down. This takes a certain level of maturity and the ability to take a breathe before speaking.

Agreeing to disagree is what my blog is all about. You can say how you feel, and so can everyone else, in a respectful, civil manner.

And I like niobium, who is welcome to voice her opinions on my blog.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

Hi Barbara,

It takes a lot more chuzpah(yes I know what it means) to say the kind of backbone-lacking junk niobium, your friend, had to say. I always try to be as positive as possible, pointing out both what I perceive as right and wrong in peoples' posts/essays/books and I try to be fair. I also try to be honest in my assessments.

In my opinion, niobium is scum: s-c-u-m. If you don't want me telling people how I feel feel free to ask me not to post anything on your blog and I will stop.

Respectfully, Eitan.
p.s. Of course niobium can post comments on your blog and u misunderstood me if u actually thought I wanted her to stop posting on yours but if I were in charge of blogsville I'd have an FBI agent check out this friend of yours.

12:53 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

What you seem to fail to understand, rege23 is that people have a RIGHT to say what they want, whether you agree with it or not. Voicing one's opinion, and learning to accept differences, whether you agree with them or not is a lesson in humility and grace. It is unnecessary to make personal attacks against someone just because you disagree.

And you are right: since this is in fact my blog, I will not permit people to treat others in an uncivil way.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

regreg:
שתינו מבינים ויודעים שחסרים לניובום כמה ברגים בראש.

לא נורא, אולי היא תיקח את העצה שלי ותפסיק לבזבז את האוויר שלנו!!!

-OC

2:51 PM  
Blogger Niobium said...

OC and regreg

If you don't like what I have to say, don't read my comments. And please note your comments been filed in

c:/niobium/delete/emptyrecyclebin

Oh, and PS: I have tits. Womyn. Not man. Womyn.

3:17 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I welcome both your comments, OC and Reg., even if they are not in agreement with my own.

To direct a message to another person in another language, howerver, is rude, and gives the appearance of elitism. So, to be fair, and not look like I am favoring anyone, especially my own, I am going to translate what you wrote OC:

You said,

'We both undersand and know that niobium is missing some screws in her head, no big deal. Maybe she will take my advice and stop polutiing the air.

Heading home now, take care.

What bothers me most about this message is that it is mean-spirited, and attacks someone else on my blog. I am very disappointed in you, OC. You appear to be an intelligent woman. I am saddned, especially after the comments I made about attacking someone that you wrote this, and in Hebrew none the less, the language of the Torah, as if it were some secret language!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

Barbara, thank you for your understanding. Most people I know wouldn't put up with my antics although I do think that standing up for certain ideals and moral/ethical principles sets me apart from that majority.

As you've seen, I tend to say what I think. Perhaps as you said, I should think a bit before I actually print/say something. Nevertheless, I must question niobium's good senses. The womyn-as she considers herself-feels bad for terrorists who were responsible for not only more than 2,000 American victims on Sept.11, 2001 but also for several thousand brave American boys killed in Afghanistan and Iraq over the past 4+ years of fighting.Her arguments are naive and irresponsible. I will deny her the ability to control what I say by simply ignoring every one of her remarks from now on.

Olah...ein li et hayacholet le'haklit be'ivrit. Karega ani ezel horai be'chicago. Be'chol mikre, ani maze mode lach al hanisayon la'azor. Ani mode she'yesh anashim briim shemevenim et kovonotai.

Be'tikva, Eitan.
p.s. Ani hozer la'aretz be'esrim la'october. Ulai nitrae az. Dash le'baalech! Agav, ani gam nasui.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

Barbara, just read your last post. Seems we were posting our stuff at around the same time. Sorry about the answer in Hebrew. I didn't think you'd take it personally. You can certainly translate what I had to say as you probably will...no problemo:)

Please don't take what Olah Chadasha said offensively. I don't know whether you'll believe me but Olah, you, and myself are on the same side. We all detest terrorism and would like nothing less than to put a complete stop to terrorism worldwide

How do you stop it? By neutralizing every single terrorist out there-not by feeling sorry for them and letting them get away unscathed.

Olah Chadasha is, as far as I gather, a young Zionist Jew who made the difficult step of returning to Israel. We should give her all the respect in the world. I did it myself and know how hard it is.

Be'tikva, Eitan.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Niobium said...

I think reg is misinterpreting me. I do not condone any kind of violence. None at all. I clearly stated earlier post, but obviously I have to state it again.

Thank you Barbara for translating the Hebrew text. I'm in agreement with you, it seemed elitist to post in another language on a blog that is not your own.

I have a question:

George Washington: terrorist or freedom fighter?

4:17 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Let me translate this transliteration for all to understand equally from rege23:

Olah. I don't have the opportunity to record in Hebrew. Right now, I am in my parent's home (city omited.) In any case, I thank you for trying to help. I am thankful there are healthy people who understand my intentions."

As someone who has advocated fairness of thought on the blog, it offends me when I ask someone to stop being negative that they do so, especially in the language of the Torah. Rege23, I understand that our messages crossed, and you were not put on notice, and I think your new revelation and way of handling comments that do not suit you is a good one. In my humble opinion, having discussion is good, provided that we do not attack an individual directly for his/her thoughts or actions, at least on my blog. That being said, I do not always agree with Niobium myself, but when I do not, I say so, and look at what is said rather than who is saying it, and call the person names or say what they say is horrific. To me, this speaks of persecution, a subject Jews are more than familiar with.

I applaud OC's move to Israel, and her making aleah. This fact is not underestimated nor overlooked in any way, shape or form. Frankly, it has nothing to do with the comments I have made above or in my posts to her. It is a separate issue, and I agree that there are many struggles and difficulties that are faced in these situations. I only wish I had the nerve to make such a move. Maybe one day, when I become sufficiently frustrated with what is going on here, and if I can convince my husband to do so, I will go.

Meanwhile, I send all blessings and good wishes to all people in Israel.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

Barbara, thank you very much for not deleting my previous post(the one with the name-calling). As you know I've gotten in trouble in the past because of lack of self control on my behalf. The fact that you actually took the time to explain rather simple yet sometimes difficult things to me made my day! It really did.

I must reiterate at this point that I will not call anybody any names from now on but that I do intend to ignore anything and everything niobium posts. That's just a choice I feel I have to make for my own sake.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

correction in the Hebrew interpretation: "lehaklit" either means "to type" or I've been in America for too long.

BTW, Barbara, I have several questions for you. Would you be willing to be "interviewed" by me?

Be'tikva(please do not interpret:), Eitan Divinsky.

4:59 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Eityan,

Please cut and paste the questions below or above (don't remember now) and answer them on your blog.

I will look for your responses.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

Man oh man...did I spell it "lehaklit"!? silly me. I meant "lehaklid". One silly letter can make all the difference. Barbara who lives in California has officially put me in line; I leave the battlefield in chains:)

Anyhow, Barbara: what I'd like to do is interview...you know the way so many people have done by now. In other words you've been tagged by Eitan/Greg-pick one personality please...j/k-either name is fine!

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home