Wandering Through a Sea of Shamatas
This entire week has been troubling to me, especially with the devastation caused by Katrina, compounded with the failure of leadership of our government, and the subsequent death of the Chief Justice. Of course, worrying about my family every day, does not make matters any easier, so I try to keep faith and hope, and stay as positive and strong as possible, even though that is not always the case. Life seems to get constantly in the way...
Something I have been thinking about this week, and a bright spot, actually, was how I had been able to re-discover Yiddish. All my grandparents spoke the language, fluently, as did my father. As a child, I was able to understand phrases here and there, but could not be fluent with the language. As I have re-discovered, Yiddish is a very colorful and passionate language, and in some ways, speaks in a voice of a people who were destined to suffer, and in spite of it, could make the most of life and engage in humerous and often intersting interactions with one another through the magic of words. Some of the language can be insulting, such as se zol dir girhmen in boych, translated as, you should get a stomach cramp, but no matter what, the flavor is fantastic, and suitable to me completely. So, even in middle-age, I have decided to learn it, and see where that goes.
If anyone wants to write Yiddish, please email me, and let me know. Please keep it clean or ech hob dir in drerd.
On a side note: another bright spot today was the discovery that Garbiel Garcia Marquez, a truly prolific writer, has a new novel coming out October 25th called, Memories of My Meloncoly Whores. From the brief reivew in the paper, it sounds like it will life up to its already anticipated and admired awaited reputation!
Here is the question of the day: What, if anything, have you longed to do your entire life and would like to learn now? Can you do it, and if not, what obstacles might be in your way?
Thank you for your minds.
Something I have been thinking about this week, and a bright spot, actually, was how I had been able to re-discover Yiddish. All my grandparents spoke the language, fluently, as did my father. As a child, I was able to understand phrases here and there, but could not be fluent with the language. As I have re-discovered, Yiddish is a very colorful and passionate language, and in some ways, speaks in a voice of a people who were destined to suffer, and in spite of it, could make the most of life and engage in humerous and often intersting interactions with one another through the magic of words. Some of the language can be insulting, such as se zol dir girhmen in boych, translated as, you should get a stomach cramp, but no matter what, the flavor is fantastic, and suitable to me completely. So, even in middle-age, I have decided to learn it, and see where that goes.
If anyone wants to write Yiddish, please email me, and let me know. Please keep it clean or ech hob dir in drerd.
On a side note: another bright spot today was the discovery that Garbiel Garcia Marquez, a truly prolific writer, has a new novel coming out October 25th called, Memories of My Meloncoly Whores. From the brief reivew in the paper, it sounds like it will life up to its already anticipated and admired awaited reputation!
Here is the question of the day: What, if anything, have you longed to do your entire life and would like to learn now? Can you do it, and if not, what obstacles might be in your way?
Thank you for your minds.

21 Comments:
I've always wanted to be a writer and a singer (seperatly).
The writing thing I'm working on. At school we are required to do a lot of writing, and of course in blogdom requires it, so I'm getting better at it.
As for becoming a singer, I couldn't carry a tune in a ten gallon drum if my life depended on it. I'm not sure that you can be taught to sing or it's an ability you are born with. So I sing, badly, in the car and torture whomever is with me.
Cook. I wish I was good at it, but I;m sure I could be. My husband's a Chef, so I don't get to spend much time in the kitchen.
I would pick either to play an instrument or to be able to sing well.
When I was young I wanted to be a teacher, then later I wanted to be a lawyer … but after suffering from so much abuse as a child, that ran into my adulthood my dreams never came true. But I do love to write, and write, and write, mostly for my amusement. For most of my life I have long to at least publish one book, before I pass on; sharing some of the deep dark secrets of the Mississippi Delta in a stroy format. Right now I am working on such a book … again for my amusement.
I have longed to learn how to loom weave. I'd love to make gorgeous, colorful, textured tapestries.
My husband got me a little "lap loom" for Yule a couple years ago, I have done some playing with that... I'd like to find some sort of class that I could take on weaving.
Way cool..We have a cook, the chief, a wife and his lover!!!
Dramatic.
BB: Oy Vey!
Dance. Nothing fancy. Just acceptable. Not funny looking.
Liquid, here is still time! I went through teaching courses with a woman who was 70. She teaches high school now!
bfc
take a look on my blog the comments from august 24 the last two posts
this will shed some light on the truth
enough said
and he also admited on my latest commentary
its worth a look
I need to learn to touch type.
I keep avoiding it...
But I know it would be an excellent skill to have....
Hunting and Peckingly Yours,
Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's Kitchen
And I Quote Blog
That's so cool about the Yiddish. It seems like a really fun language.
I mostly charge ahead and try things... In the past seven years, I've learned to play trumpet, ice hockey, ukulele, and do some tai chi.
I think my real wish is to always find the time (and sometimes money) to try/do these fun new things!
I had friends that spoke Yiddish and taught me a couple words, but I've always wanted to learn Esperanto. Not desperately enough to actually do it, though. It's a language of the intellentsia; you won't find anyone actually speaking it. It's kind of like Latin.
I have been lucky enough to do pretty much everything I've always wanted to do. For instance, I've always wanted to sky dive, but my reservations about it keep me from wanting to do it badly enough to actually go do it...
Yes, I agree that it is not too late to do something that one loves. To obtain a professional level at it, might be another issue, but the pursuit is something separate.
Jen, honestly, I was going to make a post tomorrow about whether Bush's prayers have been answered! Haliburton got some of the contract for the clean-up of Navy property from Katrina, now there are two vacancies on the US Supreme Court. It is like an incestuous relationship that has occurred, and it is frightening!
Playing instruments is always a good thing! My hat is off to all of you.
Musically, I wish I had just one small bone in my bone that could demonstrate Talent. I used to have a piano when I was a child, and I can play a song or two, but can not read music. So, wish to learn how to read music before I die, and return to learn more about the piano. Physically wish I had rhythm,, did not get that Gay Gene,, nor the decorator one either..
Well, a small moment of happiness:
I just pre-ordered the Garcia Marquez book, along with a book on learning Yiddish.
Hi Barbara -- I have NOT fallen off the face of the earth...I'm back to the blogs even if only for a few days.
Hmmm...something I would love to learn to do is clean house. I mean 'really' clean house. There are people who have a knack for it, and I would love to be one of those people. Another something is learn to speak a foreign language fluently.
Funny story about Yiddish -- a former boss of mine spoke Yiddish quite often, especially when meeting with other Jewish men. One day during a meeting, I happened to walk by the conference room they were in, and he started yammering at me in Yiddish. I paused, hearing my name, but must have had the most puzzled look on my face. The other men in the meeting started laughing, and Alan (my boss) became more flustered and repeated whatever he had said previously. When I politely reminded him that I don't speak Yiddish, he joined in with his guests laughing at his language gaff -- he was stopping me to ask if I would bring them some coffee, which of course I was happy to do. After that, we had a running joke that I would look at him puzzled even if he were speaking English...just to make him think twice about which language he was speaking. I LOVED working with him!
I'm not good with foreign languages. I do good just speaking English.
I would learn to paint water colors. Mom was quite good. Sadly, I lack perspective which became clear as I was trying to do 3D renderings in college. I can see it, I can not bring it to paper. I think Mom always felt bad for me
Welcome back to the world of blogging, Whit! We missed you.
This is off your subject question, but in regards to the new book (thought you meant another one in addition to) "Memories of My Meloncoly Whores"
I read months ago, that "100 yrs of Solitude" is now a high school requirement for books to be read. Then a controversy started thereafter over this new book, but I thought it had already been released......since it has been months since I read the article of the above mentioned.
Thanks....I am looking forward too..hopefully learning some of the language as well. I ask Aaron to please send me some info. (smiling)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home