Politics: Is it All in the Family?
Over this past weeks, my husband, son, and various family members have been discussing what has been going on in the world today. It surely comes as a surprise to no-one that I feel as if our current administration demostrates poor leadership, and I am unhappy with the direction in which this country is going. Well, to be more frank and candid, there are moments of complete disgust.
My son, who went to a very good, east coast Ivy League university often found himself surrounded by a circle of roomates who were questioning the politics of me, his mother. A few asked if I was like one of those old Communists, or more specifically, just too 'far left and liberal' (whateverthat means, personally, I felt honored!) My daughter seems rather a political, and my parents were rather conservative, thinking that Franklin Roosevelt was a hero, in spite of the role he and this country played in reaction to the Jews in the hands of the Nazis during WWII. My husband is a bit more conservative than I do, but he understands and respects, and more often than not agrees with my point of view. When my son and I are talking about politics, my husband usually says, 'you know that he (our son) will agree with you completely, so why do you even bother to ask?'
Here is the question of the day: How do you and your children, spouses , significant others, parents tend to view politics? Do you agree, disagree, or find yourself on opposite ends of the spectrum, with one another? How and in what ways? I know that our family of PEZ'S will probably be pretty much on the same page, but I would like to hear it from their own mouths.
Thank you for your minds.
My son, who went to a very good, east coast Ivy League university often found himself surrounded by a circle of roomates who were questioning the politics of me, his mother. A few asked if I was like one of those old Communists, or more specifically, just too 'far left and liberal' (whateverthat means, personally, I felt honored!) My daughter seems rather a political, and my parents were rather conservative, thinking that Franklin Roosevelt was a hero, in spite of the role he and this country played in reaction to the Jews in the hands of the Nazis during WWII. My husband is a bit more conservative than I do, but he understands and respects, and more often than not agrees with my point of view. When my son and I are talking about politics, my husband usually says, 'you know that he (our son) will agree with you completely, so why do you even bother to ask?'
Here is the question of the day: How do you and your children, spouses , significant others, parents tend to view politics? Do you agree, disagree, or find yourself on opposite ends of the spectrum, with one another? How and in what ways? I know that our family of PEZ'S will probably be pretty much on the same page, but I would like to hear it from their own mouths.
Thank you for your minds.

16 Comments:
I have always been the blacksheep of the political family. At least until the last election. My mother, who was a die hard Jesse Helms Republican. Has opened herself up to alot and took a deep look at the Rep. party. When the election was over, normally we would just not talk about it, but I asked anyway,,"So, I guess we canceled each others vote out, right." "Not this year." I nearly fell over with shock. She REALLY didn't Vote for BUSH that time. I was so proud of her, and couldn't stop talking about it for months. Sometimes, miracles do happen.
My mother's side doesn't talk politics because it isn't polite. They tend to be Centrists leaning Right. My father's side is Catholic Bushites as are my in-laws.
Because of our exteme opposite views, I rarely go to family functions. I can't stand the racism, classism, homophobia, elitism, religionism, et ali, that comes out of the mouths of my grandmother, aunts, uncles cousins, and in laws.
Honestly, I think they are all a bunch of shits anyways and don't waste my time with them unless *absoultly* expected to be there. Say like, funerals.
Me and hubby just had a debate the other day...about how long it took the people from the hurricane to get help and why....Needless to say...we just disagree...He says what he believes and I say what I believe.....And for children...I have a 3 year old...and she will agree with whatever Mommy saids...lol
Have a great day!!!
I personally consider myself a rabid conservative liberal... I have views that would make both sides disassociate themselves from me...
My father and brother are your basic ultra conservative, my mother is neutral with slight leanings to the right, sister liberal, most of family is from the old country so they are pretty well conservatives with some specific vices...
Hi Barbara -
Yes, we Pez people stick together in the blogosphere, and in politics. We're all pretty much equally progressive (or what they used to call 'liberal').
My wife (Me Wonder Woman Pez) is on the same page, too.
My parents and grandparents are all very liberal, which makes me very happy. I think it would be terribly difficult to have to argue with family over politics.
We all tend to agree...though as we are all from Utah, we are an island because we dislike Bush and the rest of the state thinks he walks hand in hand with God.
I think Utah has even banned Michael Moore from ever returning to the state!
Most families agree, which is refreshing.
How about those out there that disagree?
Yup, we Pezzes are indeed on the same page. My Kids are, too. And even my previously-Republican DH became a Democrat.
Yep, the Pez People are all alike in politics. Pretty much ABB. Anybody But Bush.
we agree to disagree. mom, who's now living w/us is a conservative and heaven help us likes georgie (there's no accounting for taste or reasoning w/her). hubby is a tad more conservative than i but still democratic. i'm definately a liberal.
work is another thing. like cathy i work in a school (public). most of my collegues are right wing conservatives (we must be the red enclave in a blue state. someone please save me!) today i cringed (1st day and mandatory faculty meetings for all district personal) when we had the pledge, the national anthem and silence for ... if they could have we would have had a prayer also. The moment of silence was forced and made most people uncomfortable as it was done in a prayer like manner. prayer does not belong in a public school.
to those who think i'm heartles - it's not the issues, but the manner in which it was done.
I don't try and interfere with my children's beliefs or politics. I respect them as adults, and remind them that there are consequences to every action. Still, all an all my family and I are pretty much on the same page.
My son, however, who moved to San Antoine last year, politics travel to whatever girl he is dating. Right now I think he's in dating a "right wing", which is really active in politics, and smart as a whip! She dislikes my politics, so we never discuss it when they visit. Yesterday my son called to tell me they were arguing because they disagreed about New Orleans. Oh well – such is life!
My parents and I are very much on the same page politically. They raised me with certain values. I think I agree with them politically because I view the world through the lenses they provided.
My husband and I are on the same page although I tend to run a little left of him on some issues. I couldn't marry someone who had dramatically different views from myself in this area. That would be like marrying outside my own species. :)
With me in Israel now, we don't really talk about American politics anymore. In regards to Israel, we're all on the same page. In some respects, my mother is even more conservative and right wing than me when it comes to Israeli politics. I agree with a lot of what she says, but if I were to voice those opinions, I would definitely be called vile names even if they're not valid. When it comes to American politics, my family only really talks about local politics. My father is a public school teacher, so what happens in the local political spectrum directly effects our lives. Don't even get me started!!
-OC
I'm not allowed to discuss politics with my family. They say I'm to passionate.
When I married my husband, he was a Dem, and I was (still am) a Repub. In the fall of 1998, as he watched the news, he turned to me and said that he could no longer consider himself a Dem and switched over. We agree on many things...and struggle on a few other things...we're not clones and even when we agree on some things, we may come to that conclusion based on different criteria.
My older brother and I are polar opposites on politics -- not even up for discussion. We don't go there.
I tend to think about things the same way my parents do, even though I don't feel I have that much in common with them. I remember early in high school on a family trip asking my dad if I would be considered more Repub or Dem. He asked me a series of questions asking how I felt about each, and said at the end that my leanings were clearly Conservative Republican. But we don't talk too much politics so it isn't like this is something we sit around and celebrate -- our synchronized, brain-washed ideology since Republicans clearly can't believe all that BS based on a rational, intellectual thought process.
My in-laws are smack in the middle of Democratic California, and I don't think they know what they are. If you ask them what THEY believe -- they agree with the Republican philosophy, and that is how they say they vote. However, if you observe them in social situations with their neighbors, they 'go along to get along.'
So, we're a mix...as I bet most families are.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home