Monday, September 12, 2005

Divided We Stand, Divided We Fall

Experiencing some insomnia, I decided to write about a subject that has caught my attention recently. Over the past several weeks, it has become quite clear to me, especially in blogsville, that many people are divided politically. Some divisions are along ideological lines, with morality as a core component of the differences. Others, prefer to be divided politically, with barbs thrown and lashes had if an opinion is expressed contrary to one's own. The result may be unflattering name calling, such as that dumb conservative, or loonie liberal, the later being a particularly distasteful label, and one which stigmatize those who suffer from mental illness. Be that as it may, this country seems to be becoming more and more divided by the day, which, frankly, breaks my heart.

My personal disatisfaction with Bush and this administration will come as a suprise to nobody, and it has been a topic looming large in my own blog in one form or another. I have hoped, and even prayed, for a more compromising President, one who would not view the world in rigid terms, such as my way or the highway, but this is not to be had during the Presidency, I see. Not present are diplomacy with other countries around the world, along with a lack of compassion or understanding for the common, non-corporate, man and woman in America today. I accept him for who he is and the way he leads this country, but I do not agree with it nor like it. Make no mistake, I love my country, and to conclude otherwise, and label me a 'loonie liberal' is insulting and patently false. This is my country too, and it pains me to see the direction in which it is headed.

The recent horrors of Katrina, with the ravages of earth, wind and fire have created a division in our nation even more, along class, race and ethnic lines. Some gross generalizations are established as a result, with some people pointing the ever long finger at the federal government, or conversly chastising local officials and state government. Regardless, of the 'name and blame game,' there is a clear division of opinion, regardless of fault, which is usually accorded to one group or the other. There is little, if any middle ground that exists anymore, and division appears to be along extreme lines pitting one group in dramatic opposition to the other.

Here is the question of the day: Do you believe that the country is becoming even more divided in light of the Katrina disaster? If so, what, if anything can be done, to unite the people of this nation once more? Will divisions among us ultimately cause our down-fall, like a civil war, between 'red' vs. 'blue' or are they needed to achieve some type of necessary balance?

Thank you for your minds.

25 Comments:

Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

I think a lot of this division is exacerbated by the media and doesn't exist as is. Polls (I hate them, but some are consistent) have continuously shown over the past 2 weaks that the vast majority of the American people do not blame President Bush for Katrina's after-math. The media loves to create controversy and pulling out the political divide is the best way to do it. Also, this may seem partisan, but it's just a fact if you look at all the interviews and transcripts. But, it has been the Democrats who have been attempting to use a natural disaster to attack the Administration, calling for investigations and hearing similiar to those of the 9/11 commission. Even democrats in LA are screaming for those on the Hill, like Pelosi and Clinton in particular, to stop the partisan pick axing and let LA get to work in peace. Those are not my words. Even they are sick of it. But, I think this country has always been divided in one sense or another, but bc the main stream media is so broad now, there's so many more forums to portray them.
-OC

4:17 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

OC,

Good points. We may in fact have been divided all along. It seems to be so much more noticable today, however. In some ways, it reminds me of the disappearing small businessperson in America, that is to say.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Niobium said...

The divide has become *bigger* since Katrina. It's been happening since Regan slowly though.

5:39 AM  
Blogger mal said...

I would agree with Olah on the media component. Who heck started this whole red/blue thing to begin with? I also believe both extremes have some extreme hot air types that make the rifts appears deeper and more acrimonious than they are (ie, Michael Moore and Pat Robertson)

As far as the Katrina disaster goes? That type of stuff always gets politicized, especially in this case where incompetence was rife at all levels of government

good political rule, "screw up? point the finger before any one notices"

niobium makes a good point. We have lacked for a true leader rather than a politician. I consider myself a conservative and have not been impressed with character of our presidents for some time, including Junior

5:53 AM  
Blogger Meegan said...

I think Katrina has been a wake-up call for a lot of our country. Many Republicans even (those who are smart enough to realize that just because they may disagree with Bush doesn't make them unpatriotic) are seriously questioning Bush's actions in response to Katrina. Many Republicans are quite disturbed by the whole Michael Brown fiasco.

I will be optimistic and say that I am just holding my breath until 2008. I think our next president will have no choice but to try to discourage the divisive mentality that Bush encouraged ("either you're with us or you're against us"). At this point, I am less concerned with whether the next pres is Republican or Democrat -- I will just be happy when it's not Bush.

5:55 AM  
Blogger The Absent Minded Housewife said...

I noticed this during the last election especially. The spin that God was with Bush and to vote for anyone else makes you immoral.

Afterall, Bush was saving us from "praying to Allah". Sheesh.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

I wish it would divide further, like: why didn't we let the south secede when we had the chance?

Those who voted for Bush (esp the 2nd time)have damaged this country in ways that we may never recover from, and I'm very angry about it. I'm ashamed of my country and of those who have supported this administration. They don't reflect me or my values. They also don't reflect the values that this country was founded on.

To say I am bitter is an understatement. I can't believe Bush hasn't been impeached yet. I hope we have a revolution.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Niobium said...

Kate, I'm with ya as long as it's a bloodless revolution.

7:37 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Although I share the frustration that many have with this government and particularly our current administration, a revolution is not the answer. Look at Cuba and Iran, as models, and how much worse, rather than better they are after such take-overs. Although it is hard to imagine, one may not be happy with the results.

Suffice it to say, I believe in our democratic form of government, and hope that 2008 brings about a new, better view in the political areana. Meanwhile, we should allow our voices to be heard and do what we can to make as many inquiries as humanly possible.

7:40 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

As I am watching these Senate confirmation hearings for John Roberts, and having heard about the recent resignation of Mike Brown from FEMA (big surprise), it is even more evident how divided we have become as a nation. There is sadly very little middle ground left in American politics today, on both sides of the fence. There used to be a middle, but it seems to have dropped out somewhere.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

The country may not be 'more' divided, but Katrina has highlighted those divisions.

Have you read 'Swann's Way' by Proust? I have, and have never met anyone else who has.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Y.Y. said...

im a diehard democrat
although i didnt vote for sharpton lol

1:08 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Yes, I have read Proust's Swann's Way. A truly original treatise on the meaning of memory. I would love to read the entire set, IN SEARCH OF LOST TIME, but think it would take a life-time to do!

1:44 PM  
Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

The country will come around.

Nine Eleven blinded them. Now they are beginning to see again.

Thge revolution will happen in the voting booths in two years...

The repubs are on their way out of Washington.

And the Dems already have a lot of damage to repair!

Cheers,

Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's Kitchen
And I Quote Blog

2:14 PM  
Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said...

JlP is right when he says … “The country may not be ‘more’ divided, but Katrina has highlighted those divisions.”

When levees break, both literally and symbolically, what is hidden will be revealed.

Where most see hopelessness in these day of disaster and shame, I see hope. I see it because of the very tools we are using to communicate these days – the Blog World. Even in my darkest hours, when I was being told historically and by other members of my culture to hate all white folks, I did not and I will not hate anyone. The reason I didn’t is very simple --- stereotyping and stupidity.

The communication I have shared these last days on my Blog with whoever read it is very raw and the 100% of white folks who commented were outstanding. We didn’t judge each other based on skin color, we communicated based on commonalities --- which as you know supersede cultures, etc. Their compassion for me as a “human being” was/is second to none.

I daresay open and honest dialogue between cultures, without the bullshit, wherever it comes from, brings about hope. This I must believe, because humanity is a beautiful thing, and when we evolve, and we will one day, it will be like a caterpillar metamorphosis into a butterfly --- where the sun’s energy will determined it color, consciously. How beautiful can that be? In the meantime, we must work within this cocoon of life with all it negative and positive shit, to create tomorrow’s beauty, which will give us (all) wings to fly.

This is what the Bush Head Hogs have done to most of the Republican Party --- they have made the mistake of stereotyping them. Barbara said it better, “my way or the highway” syndrome is the dish that is served not only to the Democrats, but also to the Republicans.

Today this dish is being rejected. First it is being rejected by a few Republicans in public, but mostly, because of our foreign policies and the Iraq war, it will be rejected by many behind closed doors. While we are calling for the dismissal of the Bush Administration, please remember --- his arrogant and inefficiency will hurt us all, regardless of skin color or wealth. America is seen as a joke in the international world, and has compromised itself by it own racism, and left a bigger hole for its enemies to crawl into.

I believe that no one desires to be known thought-out the world as a person who doesn’t care about their families, while selling Democracy and Christianity, supposedly to a primitive world; and rest assured whether some like it or not, we are all one big family.

Make no doubts about it, I am an American, born and raised here ... and when she suffers so will I. I am not ashamed of being an American, but I am ashamed of the folks that leading our country right now and the folks who are promoting hatred and racism by actions and inactions.

Here is what I am doing to ensure that my ‘immediate’ family understands this, from the oldest to the youngest --- I am telling them to look to the faces, pass the Bush Administration that are helping the ones that need help. I am reminding them that hatred is a disease that destroys us all, and it should be stamped out. That hatred on both sides of the color spectum, regardless of seemingly justification by some, should and will not be tolerated in my family. I am reminding them that, as a family, in our small circle that our color range from dark rich chocolate to very pale vanilla --- and if we hate others because of skin color we hate ourselves.

Now this may not be much, but to me it’s a “renewed” beginning and it is working for us at a time when we need it the most. Folks it so easy to sit back and hate --- we must speak our peace, as is our rights, but in speaking it we must not forget our humanity.

2:40 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Beautiful comments, LP.

I have not ever doubted the kindness and warmth of the average American and his/her ability to step up to the plate when the going gets rough. We do live in a wonderful country, with some truly loving people.

The state and federal government, however, is a separate issue in this matter.

4:46 PM  
Blogger I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

I have seen division is blog-land... but not to a name-calling degree. Teh fact that you have makes me sad... if we can't express differing opinion without being degraded... well, that's just sad... and kind of ignorant. If calling someone names is the best you got... it's probably best to stay silent in the upcoming months. (not you personally, of course...)

I refuse to take part in the finger pointing. Let's help those people struggling in Katrina's wake and bitch about what went wrong after-the-fact. And use that knowledge to be better prepared in the future.

I dont want to see press conferences... I want to see people with their sleeves rolled up delivering sundries to the less fortunate and hauling away debris. I want the victims' survivors found, and each body handled according to the families' wishes. I want the fighting to stop.

This is not the time to spew opinions in the name of flavorful banter... there will be plenty of time to point fingers after our fellow americans are safe and sound.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Sum Kinda Princess said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Sum Kinda Princess said...

I'm sad to see so many pesimists and down right depressors. Kate, what a bunch of negativity and sad to see you're so against the country and ashamed of it. I am at a very close area to the hurricane and am aiding in the efforts to help the survivors. I have seen so much coming together, and love being spread in the shelters that I am so exited. The country where I see it is coming together with money, food, clothes, and many other necessities and it's awesome. I wish you could see some of the good. Have any of you pitched in at the red cross or any shelters? There's lots of good stuff to see there. Love, not division.

6:46 PM  
Blogger DAG said...

You hope we have a revolution????

7:36 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Summa- please see my comments about the love and kindness of the average American in this country.

Dag- when you say YOU, I am assuming that you have read my comments, and that these do not refer to ME, BFC. I have answered this question, my post, number 8 from the top. You can refer to anyone in these 22 comments, and it is rather conclusionary and non-specific when read out of context.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Lila said...

My first reaction is that maybe Hurricane Katrina has actually helped the divide to get smaller in some ways. I think everyone agrees that the response has been slow ... and I think most even acknowledge that class/race feed into it, which is really quite predictable, sadly.

But in general, yes, the nation is incredibly divided. I can't tell if it's getting more divided or not, though. It has seemed very divided all my life (I was born in '68).

8:29 PM  
Blogger DAG said...

I apoligize Barb, still new at this game...that was aimed a Kate :-)

12:41 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

No need to apologize, dag..I just wanted some clarification. Thank you.

1:29 PM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

Again, my recen posts kind of tell you where I stand on this one. I think we're divided. The issues currently being debated are ones that people feel strongly about. I don't think anyone is willing to compromise, and on some issues, I don't think they should. I hope hat our common dismay over what has become of us will unite us, but I no matter how tightly I shut my eyes, it is still difficult to imagine.

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home