What Should We Do About Iran?
Yesterday, it was announced that Iran gave $50 million dollars to Hamas in retaliation to the United States and the European Nation freezing the assets of the group, who wants to destroy Israel.
It seems abundantly clear to me that Iran, with a population of more than 30 million people, is out on a mission, which includes the destruction of the State of Israel: Here is an article proving this point.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=
/news/2006/04/16/Hamas&sSheet=
/portal/2006/04/16/ixportaltop.html
The President of Iran hold delusions of grandeur, and is not afraid of anyone, or any country, and from my perspective reminds me of a modern day Hitler. Like this horrific terror of a man, he too wants to destroy all of the Jews, with the inclusion of the United States as one of its targets as well. It is clearly his goal to destroy Israel, as we have heard in his statements, and see in his latest gesture of financial aid to Hamas.
Here are some of the questions of the day: Is the United States partially to blame for helping to overthrow the Shah of Iran, whose country now is largely made up of fundamentalists with the capacity to create World War III? Should the United States be prepared to go in and attack Iran, and if so, how will we, as a country be able to financially handle it since our hand is deeply placed inside the pockets of Iraq, where not only have billions of dollars been spent, but thousands of people, both Americans and Iraqis have been killed?
Thank you for your minds.
It seems abundantly clear to me that Iran, with a population of more than 30 million people, is out on a mission, which includes the destruction of the State of Israel: Here is an article proving this point.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=
/news/2006/04/16/Hamas&sSheet=
/portal/2006/04/16/ixportaltop.html
The President of Iran hold delusions of grandeur, and is not afraid of anyone, or any country, and from my perspective reminds me of a modern day Hitler. Like this horrific terror of a man, he too wants to destroy all of the Jews, with the inclusion of the United States as one of its targets as well. It is clearly his goal to destroy Israel, as we have heard in his statements, and see in his latest gesture of financial aid to Hamas.
Here are some of the questions of the day: Is the United States partially to blame for helping to overthrow the Shah of Iran, whose country now is largely made up of fundamentalists with the capacity to create World War III? Should the United States be prepared to go in and attack Iran, and if so, how will we, as a country be able to financially handle it since our hand is deeply placed inside the pockets of Iraq, where not only have billions of dollars been spent, but thousands of people, both Americans and Iraqis have been killed?
Thank you for your minds.

17 Comments:
This is tough to answer because there are so many unknowns. But we face some serious considerations here. Firstly, I think that Iraq may genuinely have been a threat (despite what others think) but I also think that our response to that threat should've been swift and sure. We should've gone in there, wiped out as many of the terrorists and other nasties as possible (Saddam and entourage included) and then left. We're not in the profession of Nation Building. When another country pays us to do so, I'm in.
I think the same should be applied to Iran. It is a believable and feasible threat to us. We also must consider the fact that Israel is our ally, and an important one in the Middle East.
On April 11th, Daveawayfromhome made an excellent statement: I think I've said before that George Bush is a crazy Apocalyptocrat who has the hubris to believe that he would be doing Jesus a big favor by bringing on Armageddon. It may not be true, but there are "omens" in his behavior. I agree entirely with this. And it is a terrifying prospect.
I think that's why Bush continues to give bad advice and push us in all the wrong directions. That is why he encouraged Israel to "make peace" with the Palestinians when he, and all his advisors, assuredly knew that wasn't possible.
All that being said, to sit around and do nothing about Iran is to have a wild, rabid dog roaming the neighborhood and allow your children to play in the street.
Different theories have been advanced: Iran is merely posturing to give themselves a better negotiating stance. Well, maybe, but can we take that chance? One thing we know: if we strike now we have a better chance of stopping it than if we strike later. Each day gives them more of a chance to further their program. And I don't buy that they're peacefully attempting for nuclear power in a land flowing with oil.
IMHO, we should treat Iran as we should've treated Iraq: bomb the heck outta them, kill as many of the people who are negative toward the US and Israel, and let them pick up the pieces on their own. If they try again, (as the shampoo label reads) then rinse, repeat.
P.S. whether or not a former administration (not the US, per se) is responsible for the overthrow of the Shah has little to do with the facts that we are dealing with today. Regardless of the past, we're faced with a difficult present and a frightening prospect for tomorrow.
saur,
Intelligent comments, as usual.
The situation in Iraq has become a complete nightmare, partially due to our involvement, at least this is how it seems to me. We found no WMD there. This president of Iran, on the other hand, is bold, and does not hide the fact that he has a nuclear reactor, which can present problems for the entire world. Couple that with the support of Russia and China, and the 30 million or more people, and it is great cause for concern, at least for me, and especially for Israel.
There are so many factors to take into consideration. Does a country who tries to prevent aggressive behaviour then get regarded as aggressors by everyone else?
I wish I knew. I wish I were in a position where I could do something about the outcome. We have a lot of diplomatic options to go through first, but it really makes me worry because this president doesn't seem to do diplomacy well. I disagree with Saur that Iraq qas a threat for many reasons, but one is because I know Iran has always been the real threat. I think we probably invaded Iraq as a strategic way to have a staging ground for a biger scale war in Iran, for which we WILL need a draft. I could be wrong and I hope I am, but I think war with Iraq is inevitable, and probably necessary. The fanaticism over religion and really over the hatred for the United States poses serious problems for us. I just hope our government is HONEST about what those problems are. Hope this was easily understandable. The baby seems to be sucking my brains out and I never feel like I'm expressing myself completely clearly.
On a completely different note, I am SO glad to hear that things have been going better for you!
As I've stated before, war is not the answer. Ever.
There is definitely not an easy solution, at least from a diplomatic point of view.
Sadly, 9 were killed today in Tel Aviv by a suicide bombing, which was applauded by Hamas, which is just further evidence of how much Jew hatred still exists.
nothing...Iran is none of our concern
lol
This is a question that has been in my head for a few days...What do we do about Iran.... we have so much of our military in Iraq....I feel our military may be stretched alittle!!!
It's all very scary!!!
Have a great day!!!
While I regularly read the news from many sources and enjoy studying history, I often feel like I have huge gaps in my knowledge of world affairs, and even national affairs. It is a challenge for me to understand a lot of the old arguments that continue today among peoples of every culture. Some of them seem terribly out of context, and I strive to continue to learn so that I might understand what some of the madness is all about.
Sometimes when I look around at battles fought today which are part of such long, old disputes, I have to wonder if others have this same gap in their knowledge of world affairs as I do, or if others are somehow better informed. Even so, there is undoubtedly a certain amount of animosity which is handed down generation by generation, and which I feel eventually must diverge from the original root of the issue to exist in a sort of emotional limbo: a hate without a cause, if you will.
The seemingly endless ebb and flow of anger, hate, and violence against others with its constant series of retaliatory actions makes my stomach turn. I realize that in this lifetime, I have not known civil violence in my own backyard, and consequently can only speak from an outsider’s perspective. However, I still feel strongly that, to coin a cliché, “Violence only begets more violence.”
To respond to violence by launching wars or even “pseudo-wars” is not the right answer in my mind, but I also acknowledge that just as these scenarios are never simple, neither should be my response to them. I suppose that I simply do not know what the answer should be... clearly more thought is required for me.
Niobium, but if war is not the answer, ever, than what happens when your town is invaded by people who are hostile to you and your family? Do you let them kill you and the ones you love, or do you fight back? Or do you just mean that war is not the answer occasionally? (Just wanting clarification.)
Why doesn't someone just "take out" that wacko leader of Iran? Accidents do happen!
I thought I was the only one who condoned violence around here?
Hmmm... Where do you post comments to your most recent post? Was just going to add that writing is an interesting thing. On the one hand, it has an inherent zen. On the other, there's usually an assumption or hope that it will be read and communicate something to other minds.
I say, use our superior technology. Don't invade w/troops but, go in w/some big jets, take out the nuclear power plants leave, come home & don't say nothing but, "kiss my ass."
Or we can decide that a sovereign nation has the right to nuclear power, do nothing & cross our fingers.
It will be interesting to see what happens.
I'm not entirely accepting of the idea that it is hatred of the Jews in Jeruselem. Rather that it is a stand that they may take to cause a welling up of people and power to do what they alwatys want to do, which is reign supreme.
The only example I can come up with, though, is somewhat lacking in strength. The current attacks on allied forces in Iraq are against all religions, including agnostics.
Truly Muslim followers recognize that their leaders are being every bit as wrong as our own leaders. None are giving way to being what the CREATOR has asked of them, which is simply to live together.
Can't see any good coming from anything happenning in the mid-east anymore. Given an all out war, should it be located only there, and containing nuclear arms by either side will only send a circle of death around the entire planet.
Taking the nuclear capabilities away from Iran would be a good start, as long as right behind that we get all the nuclear capabiltities away from Russia, China, Korea, France, Israel, England, and tha U.S.A.
And by all capablities, I'm also talking about nuclear energy.
Here's a picture to consider.
Nuclear feul does not degrade inside of ten thousand years.
So, the spent feul is so small, it can be managed, eh? It's like sitting in a room and watching someone bring in a can of poison and putting it in a corner of that room and saying, "it's OK, cause it's so small..."
And the next day, another can. And the next day, another can. And so on and so on.
That's what we are doing to ourselves with this supposedly "small amount of waste" and while I'm sure some folks don't care, I'de be willing to bet that they are the ones who have enough power and wealth to avoid the places where it's being put.
Dang! I appear to be going off again.
I choose horses over nuclear options.
I choose living together like we're supposed to be doing.
I choose sending ALL the morons who tell us what we should be doing to the same cotton-pickin island, and I don't care if they ever get off.
See? Wasn't that a lot simpler?
(yes)
ps
when I followed the path to CuBaNiTa's site, there was a place that sells stuff. And, it looks like it's based in Spain.
But, then, I thought dating master really wanted help, too.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home