April First, a.k.a., April Fool's Day
Perhaps many would be surpised to know that I am quite a prankster. This quality, I must confesss, has tempered, although not disappeared completely with age. My pranks were many, and included putting a worm from a bottle of mescal (an extremely potent alcohol drink found in Oaxaca, Mexico, mind you, this was in the drinking days) into friends food, and having them discover it with complete surprise, plotting and taking teacher's luches and eating them even in high school, making numerous prank telephone calls, and on one April Fool's day, making a call, telling my mother that I was the police and my brother was found dead. (today, I know that this was not one of my finer moments.) Of course, all of these shanagians were in the name of fun and entertainment, which are still held close to my heart. It comes as no suprise then, when last week, my dear friend called and told me that she was tired of her mother-in-law asking her for money. She called a casket company and asked how much one would cost, including the shipping. When the man at the other end said, 'I am sorry for your loss,' she replied, with a deadpan voice, 'the person is not dead yet...I know that a casket is something everone will need, eventually!"
So today, on that day of ultimate pranks, please tell me some of your better or more outlandish ones, either done on April Fool's day, or at other times.
On a side note, today is the birthday of the beloved Sergei Rachmaninoff, who would have been 126 years old. Happy Birthday to you Rachmaninoff!
Thank you for your minds.
So today, on that day of ultimate pranks, please tell me some of your better or more outlandish ones, either done on April Fool's day, or at other times.
On a side note, today is the birthday of the beloved Sergei Rachmaninoff, who would have been 126 years old. Happy Birthday to you Rachmaninoff!
Thank you for your minds.

7 Comments:
I'm not much of a prankster...
I do however love Rachmaninoff!
I enjoyed the movie "Shine" where the young David Heldgof was taking piano lessons from a great master teacher and he was learn to play the Rack III for a competition. He was teaching him the emotion of the music and how to put all that into the notes. It was awesome.
My two older sisters gave me a hard time as a kid, as so many older siblings do. One fine October when I was about 12, I was playing with a plastic spider ring among the Halloween paraphernalia, and suddenly had a grand light-bulb moment…
I carefully clipped the ring off of the spider, and slipping into my eldest sister’s room (a major trespass in those days) placed the plastic spider just under her quilt on her bed up near her pillow. The shriek that followed that night was both gratifying, and musical.
I myself have a major fear of spiders, but I pulled this prank at the cost of all potential repercussions, and any life-long karmatic come-back-arounds, just to get even with my sister just once. :)
The memory still makes me laugh! However, that's probably one of my few practical jokes... like Lucy, I'm not much of a prankster.
If you are interested in a little April Fool’s trivia, check out this link:
http://schooloftheseasons.com/aprdays1.html#fool
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sorry about the duplicate comment Barbara... I had trouble with word verification. :)
I`m not usually a prankster myself, but I always forget about April Fool`s Day, and invariably fall for someone else`s prank!
And did I fall for a prank today....?
very nearly...... !!!!
Loving Rachmaninoff has been an something that I have done for more than 30 years.
Coming this week, I am going to hear our orchestra do an all Rachmaninoff program, THREE times! I cannot wait!!!
I'm always too afraid the joke won't be taken as it is intended to, and therefore I refrain from using 'scare tactics'.
The best I can come up with; I had my mother call a prank phone number where a guy whose car you supposedly scratched, yells on the phone.
She really fell for it.
The brother one was really cuel, but I imagine she recognized your voice.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home