The Art of Risk Taking
Waking up much earlier than usual today, on a Saturday, none the less, I realized that that unconfortable feeling of fear was beginnings to descend upon me once again. Not impending doom, thankfully, just plain fear. Sometimes this happens, and when it does, it is usually a result of thinking too much or wanting something to be a certain way. (back to that old faithful 'control freak' who lurks in the linings of all of our souls.) So, I decided to write and see where it will take me, as this exercise usually works to clear out those closets of demons laying in wait.
As I am writing this entry, I began thinking about risk taking, and its meaning. To me, taking a risk in life it an art. Something not perfect, but crafted and designed in its own way. Just like a piece of art. It could be something as simple as changing parting one's hair on the right instead of the left, or driving down a different route, or a dramatic move such as changing jobs, spouses, severing a friendship or making a decision to exercise more often or quit smoking. How many of us truly look forward to change? Is it that corny old adage true, 'no risk no gain' or are some of us liable to hit the jackpot just remaining in our own sedentary ways of thinking, acting and being? Change can be truly difficult, scary, and bring on some rather unsettling feelings, on the one hand, but on the other, it can be a road towards freedom and self-discovery. And how many of us truly know that nothing is cast in stone forever, that once we walk down a road, we can, unless prevented by some type of illness or calamity, and do, have the power to change direction?
Personally, I like the settled, comfortable and peaceful feeling of life when I accept it as it is rather than as I want it to be. I am mindful, that at times, when the going gets rocky or rough, change is necessary, and that the path that comes about as a result, may lead me down a better, more peaceful road. In fact, my expeirence is that it usually does. Hanging on to something or someone for dear life just to stay in a familiar pattern usually results in self-defeating, unhealthy behavior and often brings pain and misery in the long run.
For the moment, a change: an early morning walk, instead of midday, to quiet the heart and settle the mind. Have a good, peaceful day.
Thank you for your minds.
As I am writing this entry, I began thinking about risk taking, and its meaning. To me, taking a risk in life it an art. Something not perfect, but crafted and designed in its own way. Just like a piece of art. It could be something as simple as changing parting one's hair on the right instead of the left, or driving down a different route, or a dramatic move such as changing jobs, spouses, severing a friendship or making a decision to exercise more often or quit smoking. How many of us truly look forward to change? Is it that corny old adage true, 'no risk no gain' or are some of us liable to hit the jackpot just remaining in our own sedentary ways of thinking, acting and being? Change can be truly difficult, scary, and bring on some rather unsettling feelings, on the one hand, but on the other, it can be a road towards freedom and self-discovery. And how many of us truly know that nothing is cast in stone forever, that once we walk down a road, we can, unless prevented by some type of illness or calamity, and do, have the power to change direction?
Personally, I like the settled, comfortable and peaceful feeling of life when I accept it as it is rather than as I want it to be. I am mindful, that at times, when the going gets rocky or rough, change is necessary, and that the path that comes about as a result, may lead me down a better, more peaceful road. In fact, my expeirence is that it usually does. Hanging on to something or someone for dear life just to stay in a familiar pattern usually results in self-defeating, unhealthy behavior and often brings pain and misery in the long run.
For the moment, a change: an early morning walk, instead of midday, to quiet the heart and settle the mind. Have a good, peaceful day.
Thank you for your minds.

3 Comments:
Interesting thought.
I'm risky when it comes to career changes and trying new foods, but that's about it.
I wish I could be more risky. I have plenty of ideas for new businesses, but it's the money that always holds me back.
Jonna,
Big events, like marriage and moves, seem to have fear build in them by definition. I know you to be a strong, smart cookie, and know, that everything will work out just as it is supposed to be.
GOod luck on the move! Thanks for coming by.
xox
b
Barbara, good musings.
I seem always to avoid risk--except when I reach critical mass, click over and pull one HELLUVA doozy. I've quit two jobs: one on the sole stimulus of a Joni Mitchell song (Free Man in Paris) coming on the radio as I entered the company parking lot. I cranked up the volume, pulled a Uey and drove to New Hampshire :> The other job was as assistant to Impossible Lawyer, who had required me to lie to coworkers. When I told Impossible Lawyer I was history, he told me I was unethical :-I
Neither of these risks was terribly successful in a monetary sense :-D but they paid off handsomely in personal gratification.
My biggest risk was in choosing to become a single parent. And that was my best decision ever.
On the other hand, I think rock-climbing people are nuts :> I could probably be persuaded to skydive (love small aircraft, have some faith in parachutes) but not to bungee jump. Although I'd love to see the world in one glance, I could never be an astronaut.
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you--
Here am I, floating round my tin can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home