Monday, May 23, 2005

Counting

Have you noticed that we have become a society obessed with counting? Who among us does not spend at least a significant amount of time during the day adding things up in one form of another? We count our change, we may count our awards, our books, our fragrances, lispticks, coins, friends, cds and which blogger does not count the number of comments posted each day when she/he makes that devoted entry. It is not that counting, standing alone, in and of itself is such an insignificant nor meaningless act, but it is the importance that we, as individuals, give to it. We some how get so caught up into the idea that more is more, and that the larger number means or stands for something greater to us, and hangs like a badge of courage around our necks.

Why are we a society so consumed with counting? And why do we take it as an indication to define who we are or may be and make it such an important act?

For today, I am not going to count the comments to this blog. Obviously, counting is important to me too...It makes me think the more comments have, the more likeable or interesting I am in some way, which defeats the fundamental premise upon which this blog was created, which was that it was used to exercise my mind through words each and every day. As we write, we fall in love with ourselves, but to some degree, those numbers do matter, and are a factor in the equation!

Thank you for your minds.

5 Comments:

Blogger dddragon said...

lol, my eye frequently goes to the number of comments and I look forward to reading not only the posts but what others have said in response.

Hmmmm... yup, I am a counter, hadn't thought about it like that before.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Lila said...

I count much less than I used to. And actually, I don't count comments on my blog, at least not literally. I am most pleased when there's some sort of discussion in the comments section -- maybe especially when commenters comment on other comments! That's kinda fun. But I guess it does but one in a (petty) God-like role to create such scenarios in the Blogosphere....

9:54 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Counting can get us in trouble: Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Counting can also bring delight and gratitude:
Count your blessings.

I like counting my blessings, especially on days when I feel not so blessed.

11:58 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

All great comments:

Thank you for your kind compliments too.

And Jamie Dawn: You are most definitely spot on: Counting one's blessings is a great gift. I do so each and every day!

12:29 PM  
Blogger lori said...

Counting is SO ingrained, isn't it. Minutes after a child is born, somone counts it's fingers and toes, making sure the child is 'all there'. And there's a million examples after that. age, number of teeth, etc.

I'm a devoted counter myself. So devoted in fact, that after months of fighting with myself about getting a site meter 'counter' on my blog I finally gave in. Now THERE'S a tool for counting! Counts visits, length of each visit, how many other posts the visitor checks, which part of the world the visits come from...

I have to remind myself every day of what REALLY COUNTS, also.

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home