Sunday, May 22, 2005

Uncovered by the Clouds: Sleepless in Californ1a

For the past three morings now, I have been unable to sleep. I am sure some of this sleeplessness comes from the fact that our son comes home from college today, I have a concert to attend later on, and the blistering heat in Los Angeles leaves makes the sticky air and sweat much more noticable. Afterall, it says something to wake up in the morning before the newspaper arrives. Its absence on the front lawn, however, makes present so much more that went unnoticed in the past. The stillness of the morning, as if everything is frozen in time, life as we think it to be coming to a complete halt, but life as it exists flashing like a colorless neon light before our eyes. Unnoticed to me in the past was the peacefulness that existed with the absence of the sound of car tires grinding the pavement like a call of the wild that announces that individuals are here to be heard and take action. Silence is pricey.

If I sit still enough, I can hear the first birds singing their high notes, as if being at a symphony in a state of stillness that lets one hear the music as it is supposed to be heard. Unnoticed beforehand was how there existed a direct relationship between the sounds of the birds, chirping in unision, and the presence of sunlight trying to make its way into world, like a baby's head pushing through the birth canal. This observation, of course, may have something to do with my going to Disney Hall this afternoon to hear a concert, but oddly, it is meant as a form of preparation, or a call, if you will, of what I am able to hear if listening properly, with my ears and senses not widly shut. Also, strangely, I have the melody from a movie soundtrack stuck inside my head., the stunning melodies from Felinni's Juliet of the Spirit.(not the annoying notes by John Williams from the Star War's movie soundtrack, thankfully, although I can bring that one to the surface too, and it can stay, but not in a good way.)

It seems, as if what this all says, is that waking up early and being sleepless can bring about great gifts as well. The ability to hear the unreveaeled and enjoy its unique sounds. Sleeping, like eating, can be overrated, so for today, I am going to enjoy the morning, as it exists for the moment, still, but warm, with the light trying to make its way into the sky in an uninterrupted form.

Pure beauty, as if an invisable magician, a natural alcemist came without anyone noticing,but bringing everything into a stunning view.

Thank you for your minds.

1 Comments:

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Make a note: self-indulgent metaphorical musings should be kept to oneself. What can expect from my being up at 4am? (As of now, I am awake for more than 12 hours and it is only 5pm here!

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home