Blogs As Public diaries
Over the past few weeks, I have spent time reading many of your blogs. As a result, much has been revealed about your likes, dislikes, passions, strengths, interests, families, ad infinitum. In some ways, the blog is like a long lens inside the lives and minds of others. Moreover, I have learned something valuable, over this past week, about myself, and what meaning this blog has to me. Since my blog is interactive, the audience is an important element, but then again, so am I, the author.
What has emerged, to a certain degree, is that these blogs have become public diaries, a place where we can write what we want, when we want and how we want, but nevertheless, we share them with the public whether we like it or not. The element of truth, we assume, but not necessarily, is the basis upon which we write, share and define our thoughts, and emotions.
Which brings me to the question of the day: To what extent is your blog like a public diary? Do you feel that it is within your right to share what you want, when you want, and how, as you are the ultimate author? Does this mean that you are free to write what you want, even if untruthful, or not with the sensitivity of the audience in mind?Is your blog like a public diary to you? What, if anything, have you learned about yourself, generally and specifically, from keeping your blog?
Thank you for your minds.
What has emerged, to a certain degree, is that these blogs have become public diaries, a place where we can write what we want, when we want and how we want, but nevertheless, we share them with the public whether we like it or not. The element of truth, we assume, but not necessarily, is the basis upon which we write, share and define our thoughts, and emotions.
Which brings me to the question of the day: To what extent is your blog like a public diary? Do you feel that it is within your right to share what you want, when you want, and how, as you are the ultimate author? Does this mean that you are free to write what you want, even if untruthful, or not with the sensitivity of the audience in mind?Is your blog like a public diary to you? What, if anything, have you learned about yourself, generally and specifically, from keeping your blog?
Thank you for your minds.

27 Comments:
I generally don't go into things I don't want people to know about on my blog since I know it's a pretty public forum.
The blog is, in general a fairly public forum, and, like you I welcome and encourage commentary from my readers.
My blog has morphed of late into a sort of life introspective sprinkled with some current items and experiences. Initially I'd intended to 'rant' about the life of a contract programmer... instead, I've been writing more about the journey that got me here.
I feel free to write, whatever I feel like writing, but, I probably temper it simply because I know others are reading, even if it's not a conscious process.
I've shared a lot of 'emotional moments' both good ones and bad, over the past few months, some of them I never thought I'd ever make public. So I know I'm not 'self-censoring' everything.
I think there are all sorts of blogs. Some are REALLY the "dear diary" types. Mine is more reflectful, I suppose (some may differ), and just a chance for me to jot down a fleeting thought or moment that might otherwise escape me. Some are dialogue-based (yours DEFINITELY is included here), and gives people an opportunity to hear differing opinions and then voice their own.
Now on to your specific questions:
To what extent is your blog like a public diary? Mine is moreso a diary than a news source, but it is not my personal, deep dark secrets.
Do you feel that it is within your right to share what you want, when you want, and how, as you are the ultimate author? Absolutely. We make that decision in every area of our communications. No one should feel compelled to expose something personal or private. But neither should an author of a post have to keep comments or posts up that they find distasteful or for whatever reason inappropriate to the content or theme of their site. (For instance, I would not keep any hateful or harmful posts on mine, or anything that I would find offensive for my family or friends to look at. I want them to have a reasonable expectation of what they will find on my site...if they want something different, they can go visit a different site. As the saying goes, you don't go to the hardware store for milk.)
Does this mean that you are free to write what you want, even if untruthful, or not with the sensitivity of the audience in mind? Free to do it. But from the movie Jurassic Park...just because we CAN do something, doesn't mean we SHOULD. The internet is an interesting observation on the stewardship of our privileges and gives us great insight that many people say and do things simply because they can.
What, if anything, have you learned about yourself, generally and specifically, from keeping your blog? I realize that I have missed writing just for the sake of writing. I write daily for my job, but it is topic and deadline driven, so I have enjoyed (and have been intimidated, too!) by the endless choices of stuff to write about.
Thanks for another great thoughtful question!
HI BARB JUST WONDERING HOE THE DATE IS TOMMORROW ON YOUR POST TITLE
to the kvetcher,
Thank you for pointing this out to me. My electronic clock was off, so it seems. You can regulate the date and hour of posts at the bottom of the page where you post. It is now fixed. Thank you.
While my blog is kind of like a public diary, I use it for a number of purposes. When I know I have readers, I open it more up, and when I don't think people are reading I write about other things. I don't think a blog has to be truthful.
If people who know you are reading it then you are a lot more likely to be more truthful. Because they'll know you're lying.
I also like to write about issues, sometimes and mix them in with personal experiences that may or may not have happened.
I guess I use mine as a way to think about some issues that I want to be more aware of in my daily life. Specifically: my relationship with nature, spirituality, and my desire to be more ecological.
Writing about them and letting people see me struggling with them I hope may motivate me to integrate them more into my actions.
I also want to connect with people who may be thinking about or struggling with the same ideas, and get feedback from people to help me see things more clearly.
I want to be a person with integrity, which means my thoughts and beliefs will be in harmony with my actions. Since this is an ideal, and perhaps impossible goal, it's something I see as a lifelong process. I hope other people can relate to the ups and downs of this process.
I stray off topic, so in some ways, it is a diary, but not as free or scattered as it would be if I were keeping a private journal.
Does this make any sense? LOL.
I use mine as a vent for excess flippancy, which is another purpose a lot of people put their blogs to. On behalf of all jackasses like me, I apologize (with no hope for reform) to those of you who write thoughtful, personal blogs.
Ha ha ha Doug -- I would rather all of us use our blogs for excess flippancy rather than expressing our 'flip' side in road rage, etc! That is great way to put it! (Some of the most entertaining blogs I have found are flippant and irreverant!)
Barbara,
You already know what I think. Since it's a public forum, I think it needs to be treated as that.
Also, no personal information should be disclosed, as Polanco said. If it's mistakenly disclosed, it should be modified or removed. When there's a possibility of danger involved, why take the chance?
My blogs are all honest, with the desire to get opposing views. I have tough skin and never intend to offend, just to be truthful and get to the bottom of whatever the situation might be.
The internet lets me take my mind out for exercise.
As most of my readers are family members and close friends I do not feel that I am free to disclose anything, as I have to understand that it may be topic at the next family BBQ - whether or not I am there. I think I mostly use my blog to give a little insight to my known readers about what is going on in my life, and entertain my random readers at the same time.
My blog is sort of like the rated PG-13 diary of my life. I definitely censor myself. I don't want to put my MOST personal, intimate thoughts and experiences online.
I think my blog has taught me that, in spite of mild depression, I'm strangely upbeat most of the time.
aral, I think you have a wonderful outlook on life, and love all of the bright, beautiful colors you post on your blog. Keep up the good work!
I never intended to blog, just to read and comment on the blogs of others.
When I blog, I don't say much. Just sort of chat. I never lie on my blog. My family reads it, so how could I get away with lying?
I just very much enjoy the BLOG world.
Mt blog is pure therapy. I can type in whatever I want to rant about for the day. People read it, and sometimes respond.
Somehow, this makes me feel better.
Blogs come in all shapes and sizes and should be whatever the author wants his/her blog to be.
I stay anonymous and only let out brief personal glimpses occasionally. My blog is not much of a dairy at all, more of a way to express my views and have dialogues with anyone who wants to stop by and comment.
As for blogs that are untruthful or insensitive, I don't think they last very long.
Barb -- email me! I'm heading your way later this week.
My blog is my place to air my thoughts and to learn.
I am a journal keeper by nature: I document a LOT (ie: pictures, videos, writing in a journal, keepsakes). But I guess the difference between writing in a regular "hands off!!" journal is that I really enjoy hearing what people think about what I am thinking (if that made sense!). As much as it is theraputic for me to sit in a comfy armchair sipping chai and writing down my thoughts, it is almost as comforting being able to share surfaces of those thoughts with others to hear their input.
What is life without input from others? Boring, and for me I usually get stuck in a rut: hearing other people speak gives me a wider perspective; I like that.
I don't get it
Great place to see who is coming my way! Come on Barb!
Interactive blogs are cool. We get to blog on other people's blogs when no one reads ours!
Whit,
I sent you an email!
Hi Barbara!
I`m not sure if the writing on my blog is particularly overly personal...but, I feel that, as an artist, my artwork posted is. It`s a bit of a gateway straight to my soul, I know that must sound a bit odd.
I visit sites which talk in great depth about their personal lives, which is a brave thing to do.
I think that blogging is an outlet for people..sometimes being able to air their darkest fears, which they might not be able to do in their everyday situation.
I have read so many things which have touched me emotionally...and never take them lightly...it`s almost like bearing witness to something.
Often, the person bearing their soul will probably be on the other side of the world. Just for a few minutes out of your own affairs, you are hearing about someone elses life, somewhere far away.
Perhaps the internet will help break down barriers.
Oh...while I`m posting...Barbara, have sent you an email fom my business address..!! Let me know you got it!!
Based on your comments, I am not writing more in my blog to express my personal feelings, and not make everthing interactive all the time. I appreciate all the comments.
Genial post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.
Brim over I assent to but I contemplate the list inform should secure more info then it has.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home