Sunday, June 19, 2005

Lessons Learned from Blogging

Yesterday, I posted a question about whether G-d favors some people who are more observant over others who are not. As you can see, that post has disappeared. The reason being is that the post was deleted by me. After much reflection, and a strange 'wake-up call,' I realized that as a Jew, this question was very personal to me, was something I had not really thought about, and needed to resolve it in my own private way. By asking it the way I did in this type of forum, I may have prevented a group of people from answering the very few question that I posed. To those who participated, thank you for your insightful comments and thoughts.

I think Whit and Miri, in their infinite wisdom, have commented that their blogs are more for their enjoyment than it is for yours, meaning the reader. My blog is interactive, and provocative questions are asked, with members in blogville weighing in with answers. Somehow, it seems, that along the way, as the post from yesterday illustrated, the one person who seems to have become lost in this equasion was me. My own blog was becoming more about what was important on the outside than what was meaningful within. A valuable lesson was learned by me yesterday, in a good way, because of the comments that I received, and also illustrated by those that were not. Living and learning is what life is about for me, in the best of all possible ways.

Happy Father's Day to all the father's out there.

Thank you for your minds.

20 Comments:

Blogger yochanan said...

censorship? hummm

6:37 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Not censorship...personal reflection...
Which is why each person has his/her own blog, to some extent...

6:40 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Another thought...As blog administrators, we are each given the right to delete comments, posts or entire blogs, if that is what we choose..Freedom of expression, goes both ways, it may seem...

6:45 AM  
Blogger Niobium said...

I guess I'm not sure I understand why you deleted it.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Zeppellina said...

Barbara!!

I love your blogsite...and the question you posed was wonderfully thought provoking...I found myself having to give it so much thought, that I was even thinking about it off-line!
I sat to 3am this morning, with a notebook and a pen, trying to arrange my thoughts and possibilites of this question...something I have nver done before...came on to post...and it was gone!!!!
I honestly think you should have let it run...it is, of course your choice, but it made people think and question...okay, a lot of people didn`t really even understand the question...but of all the questions posed on your site(which I consider to be one of the best sites in the blogging world), this one was the one with no answer...but so many philosophical possibilities.
A friend of mine is about to get involved in an exhibition in the Edinburgh Festival this year. It is called `SACRED..Finding the sacred in the 21st Century`, and it also has no answers..but it poses lots of unanswerable questions to make people think. It is a multi-media Arts Exhibition..and I think it will be amazing.
Oh no!...what am I going to do with my wonderful thoughts on the question now?....and I have had to put my last good brain cell in for a service too...think it got burnt out pondering the possibilities of the question!!!
I wish I had posted my answer (there is, of course no answer, only possibilities), sooner, but I wanted to give the subject the thought time which it both required and deserved...it was such an amazing question.
I found myself consumed in thought over this one. Can I send it you?
But, don`t worry about deleting the post either..it is not censorship..I myself have deleted a comment or two, which I did not feel comfortable with.
It is our right as bloggers to delete
anything we do not feel comfortable with...it is an acceptable part of blogging.

9:46 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

zeppellina,

Thank you for your kind words. The question became too personal, and one which I had posed, without thinking about it completely, and became away that it must first be resolved in my own private way.
I emailed you my email.

11:13 AM  
Blogger mireille said...

I absolutely understand this. Censorship has nothing to do with it, when it's an internal conversation. I think you're generous and brave to make this as interactive as you do. xoxo

11:21 AM  
Blogger Whitney said...

Barb-I fully support your decision to take down the post/comments and for you to just reflect internally. I hope that I didn't contribute in any way to creating angst for you.

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So...when you don't like what you hear, remove it immediately - even if it's not offensive. It sure sux to get a wake up call. I was going to post earlier, but I guess it would've been a waste of time.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

Barbara: I stumbled in here via the next blog button, and I'm glad I did.

First, this is your blog, if you want to take something down, do so. This place is supposed to be for you!

Second, you do ask some thought provoking questions, I'll be back!

12:15 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Thank you all, for your kind words. I am one of those broads with tough skin, as some of you may know!

I appreciate all of your words.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i did like the question posted earlier. like i said previously, it gives me a chance to think about things i probably wouldn't.

i do believe this is "your" blog and you should do what you feel you want to. probably why most of us have them ... the freedome to speak our minds (or not).

2:25 PM  
Blogger afterthoughtcomposer said...

Barb! Would you be able to still answer my question from my comments then, just about typing "G-d"/do you speak the word, etc.
I am asking more out of curiosity than anything (I am interested to know what the Jewish faith is about, I don't know that much about it), if the question is at all offensive, first my apologies and second don't worry about it if it is!!
Thanks a bunch!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Barbara,

I respectfully disagree with your choice.

I understand editing for profanity. But blogs really aren't all about the blogger. If it was to be completely personal, then we'd all sit at home and write in our diaries, with no input from others whatsoever.

In the 'about me' section, you say 'I love a good descussion (sic) and debate' but this doesn't indicate that you truly do.

However, I will still stop by occasionally.

Have a great week!

5:05 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Saurkraut,

If blogs are not about the blogger, then why do we have the freedom to delte posts, comments and change the nature of our posts? Although the audience is a factor, ultimately, it is the blogger who himself/herself has the freedom to make these decisions, at least according to how blogger.com is set up.

You clearly have the freedom to read or not, and post comments accordingly based upon your interests and desires.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Barbara,

I understand your point of view. I just don't agree with it. But, as you said, you have the option to do that. So it's up to you! ;o)

8:41 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Saurkraut,

Point of reference. You had made a couple of comments on my blog, and then subsequently deleted them. I know this, as I receive all comments via email.

Do you now want to repost them? There were two, under the heading the Veil of the Internet.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Barbara,

Yes, but they contained personal information. When I realized that mistake, I felt that contributing something that could give a hacker (or a stalker) something that could endanger myself or my family. As you know! I'm surprised you asked. But, posting dangerous personal information is vastly different than posting dissenting ideas, don't you think?

2:22 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

S/K

It seems as if you and I speak in different languages.

No matter how much I tell you that I deleted the post because it contained a subject that was too personal, and not well thought out by me, you continue to put your own spin on this subject, and conclude that I was somehow deleting it because of its dissenting ideas. I do not understand why you fail to respect my words and thoughts. What if I told you that your posts did not contain personal information, but that you were alarmed needlessly, and seemed paranoid about it? How would you feel? Disrespected? Well, this is how you make me feel.

With all due respect, I think that you would be happier visitng another blog.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Barbara,

You misunderstand me. I am not intending to insult you. Perhaps you might consider that you are being oversensitive? I assure you, I am not attacking, nor do I intend to attack. I thought we were OK with respectfully disagreeing.

As to your reasons why you chose to delete that last blog, I do not pretend to know what they are. I had understood that you deleted it because you became uncomfortable with the direction it was going in. Perhaps I misunderstood?

Either way, I wouldn't be too quick to brush someone off unless they were being insulting. And I don't think anyone else is taking what I've been saying as insulting. If it was misconstrued that way, I apologize for your/their misunderstanding. However, my intent has been nothing but good. Just honest.

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home