Tuesday, August 23, 2005

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR DOLLY!

Today, August 23rd is my daughter's 20th birthday. As a matter of coincidence, this is also my 200th post. Other important events happening today include the birthday of another friend of mine, a woman, who is like a mother to me, is having a pace-maker put in, and Winter-Wheat is having an amnio.(she is pregnant) Being a person who is somewhat superstitious, and trusting the rich and complex history of the ancient Kabbalistic masters, whose lessons of wisdom and the mysteries of the world are far too complex for me, I see unity and meaning in the combination of these numbers and meaning of events.

Six months ago, our daughter was ill, and we had no idea that she would be doing as well as she is today. This is indeed a beautiful celebration and one for which I am so very grateful. Each morning, before I get up out of bed, I face east, and thank God, for the good health of my children. It is something that is not ever taken for granted, and each good day is indeed a wonderful and great gift, a true blessing.

Who is Dolly, you may ask? Well, three years ago, my daughter decided to use her middle name, Ilana, and forget about her first name. Since it is difficult for me to make this transition, even though this is a name she was given, I call her Dolly, an endearing name that I have used to describe her since birth. I told her yesterday, that when she turns 20, I will stop calling her Dolly. No longer a teen-ager, it is impotant for me to see and respect her for the wonderful young woman she has become. She told me, today, that it was alright, I could still use this name, because I like it so much. So therein lies a small, unexpected gift for myself as well.

So for today, Happy Birthday, Dolly, and Chuck. Many good thoughts and wishes to you my dear friend Joyce and Kris, as you both undertake these procedures on this day too.

Thank you for your minds.

23 Comments:

Blogger I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

I didn't understand "winter wheat is having amino"...

Happy B-Day to Ilana, and best wishes to all you loved-ones.

I an't even think about how I'll deal with mny babies becoming grown-ups, but I assume that by the time they get to that age, at least part of me will be ready to see them in their new light. (And I'm sure part of me will always hang on to them as if they are still nursing infants!)

3:04 AM  
Blogger rooster peabody said...

another friend of mine

I think it wonderful that you consider your daughter a friend, if I may read between the lines. Some say that we can't be our children's friend and I say poppycock.

Best wishes for a beautiful and easy day all around. I hope that the amnio is routine.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Urban Chick said...

happy birthday to your daughter!

i'm also thinking of WW today and hoping the amnio goes OK (as i'm sure it will - it's much less scary than it sounds)

4:47 AM  
Blogger Niobium said...

I had an Aunt Dolly. She was my paternal grandmother's sister. Dolly's real name was Mary, but everyone called her by her nickname. I'm not sure who gave it to her, but according to my grandmother, Dolly was "as cute as a dolly" when she was a kid and it stuck. 'Course, Aunt Dolly died when she was in her 70s. And people still called her Dolly and we still do.

On a related note, my ex, Iskra had a cousin named David. I heard about David for many years before I met him. At David's sister's wedding, I was introducted to Bradford. I asked Iskra where David was, he pointed to Bradford. I said "That's Bradford" and Iskra said "Oh, yea, well, he goes by his middle name now, but no one in the family calls him that. We call him David." I asked David/Bradford what he wanted to be called, he said "Bradford. It annoys the crap out of me that my family won't respect my wishes."

5:14 AM  
Blogger GodlessMom said...

I hope your daughter has a wonderful birthday and I hope all else goes well with WW's amnio an your friends pace-maker surgery.

You are so right, the beginning of ever new day is a wonderful event.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Lila said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter! I remember turning 20... *sigh*

5:42 AM  
Blogger Urban Chick said...

p.s. i meant to add that my nephew was born in the early hours of this morning - a fine day to be born, then! i can't wait to meet him...

6:02 AM  
Blogger Urban Chick said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:03 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

UC,

Happy birthday to your newest nephew, which is another cause to celebarte today.

Thank you for your kind wishes.

In the spirit of the words of godless mom, every new day is indeed a wonderful event.

6:41 AM  
Blogger TRW said...

Mazal Tov to all and Happy Birthday!! May this day be extra special and the beginning of lots of extra special days in the lives of all of you :)

6:50 AM  
Blogger Meegan said...

Happy birthday to your daughter! (And what a beautiful name Ilana is.) I hope her birthday is extra special!!

7:32 AM  
Blogger TLP said...

Happy birthday to Ilana.
Best of luck to Winter Wheat.

Happy day to you Barbara.

7:55 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Truthfully, I am humbled by all your kind wishes and thoughts today.

Thank you all so very, very much.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Happy Birthday Dolly (what a sweet nick name)!!!! I hope she spends the day doing something that she loves!

Good thoughts to K--why did I think this was happening last Tuesday?

Good thoughts to your friend gettign the pacemaker,
and good thoughts sent to everyone in general.

xoxo
Jen

9:03 AM  
Blogger EarthCitizen #23 said...

Hello,
New visitor here, Wishing you daughter a Very Happy Birthday, she is lucky to have what appears to me a very intellegent and thoughtful mother. Good for her, and Good for you.
I came over because
'as always... Rachael' said you were and inspiration. She is always so right about these things. Anyway I enjoy what I have read so far, and commented on the Astro post,, sorta longwinded like.. sorry.
Hope to return and talk again soon.
Scott

9:39 AM  
Blogger Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

Tears are in my eyes! What a touching post! Firstly, your starting paragraph I understand, relate and believe as well as acknowledge and with celebrating along with prayers. Did all that make sense? (smiling) Feelings, wishes, thoughts, numbers, pace maker, etc.

My two are 24 and 25, I understand how you feel on many issues you expressed. A special thought is being passed to you from Mother to Mother! (smiling)

Thank Barbara for being a friend, I truly care very much for you. Hope your day and "Dolly's" is shared together and full of many kisses and hugs. God Bless you, your family and friends!

Happy birthday to Ilana

9:54 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

My daughter has a shirt that saids..What A Doll!!!....with a cuppie doll on it...Made me think of your Dolly...and wishing her and the other's a wonderful day!!!

Have a great day Everyone!!!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Y.Y. said...

BFC
nothing her to comment (lol)
but happy birthday and everything anyway
bless

10:10 AM  
Blogger Turtleheart said...

Happy Birthday to Dolly! And may her 20th year be filled with much love and many blessings!

1:11 PM  
Blogger the many Bs said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter today!

1:13 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

All of your good wishes today for my daughter in this blog, and privately are so very appreciated!

Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Happy Birthday Dolly! Enjoy! Hope the upcoming year is a good one!
:-)

3:08 PM  
Blogger Scott W said...

Dolly Ilana,

May you live to be a hundred years,
with one extra year to repent.

Happy Birthday!

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home