To do or Not to Do: Would you Get Another Pet?
Many of you who know me personally, or are acquainted with me or know me through MUA, already have heard about my love for my beloved golden retriever, Astro. We had had this dog since he was about 6 weeks old. He used to belong to my son, who, in point of fact, picked him out (the biggest one of the litter) and paid for him, but after two weeks of realizing that he needed to be responsible for this beautiful creature, the job of taking care of his daily needs was delegated to me. Hence, he became my dog, well, actually, he became my baby. Today, he is 11 1/2 and beginning to show the signs of aging, quite fastly, I might add, and the fact that he will not be around forever here with me has begun to surface.
Astro is a part of our family. I have nicknames for him, such as beautiful, doll baby, etc., and he has come on family trips with us, eats out of our plates, and is ravaged with so much attention that my husband has, on more than one occasion, accused me of loving the dog more than anyone in the house. I even had a portrait sitting of Astro and myself done. He is the love of my life.
Since a very early age, Astro and I have gone on long walks. During one of these walks, we have encountered our rather silent neighbor, who lives about 2 doors down from us. The man had a German Shepard, who he would take for a walk each and every day, never bothering to look at us or say hello. In fact, I used to whisper to Astro that both that man and his dog were losers. (I know that is not nice.) Today, Astro is unable to go for walks due to major problems with his joints and bones, but I still walk each and every day. If I am able, I walk twice a day, in the early mourning, and evening. One morning, I saw this man and his dog sitting outside, and as usual, there was no hello or greetings whatsoever. That same day, in the evening, I went by his home, and saw that the German Shepard was not there, but a new chocolate lab puppy was sitting on his lawn. The dog came running to me, and the man ran after him. I broke the silence and asked, 'what happened to your other dog?' He replied, 'he died this morning, and I got a new one.' In my mind I thought, wow, no down time, no period of mourning, the other dog is here one minute and replaced the next.
When Astro passes, for now, I do not hink I will get another dog. For one, it will take me too long to mourn his lost, as it will feel as if the love of my life is gone. The other reason, is that I do not view him as something that can be so easily replaced. He is too special, too unique for me.
Here is the question of the day: If you are a pet owner, and your pet, expired, would you get another one? If so, when? Has this happened to you, and if so, what has been your experience with the second pet?
Thank you for your minds.
Astro is a part of our family. I have nicknames for him, such as beautiful, doll baby, etc., and he has come on family trips with us, eats out of our plates, and is ravaged with so much attention that my husband has, on more than one occasion, accused me of loving the dog more than anyone in the house. I even had a portrait sitting of Astro and myself done. He is the love of my life.
Since a very early age, Astro and I have gone on long walks. During one of these walks, we have encountered our rather silent neighbor, who lives about 2 doors down from us. The man had a German Shepard, who he would take for a walk each and every day, never bothering to look at us or say hello. In fact, I used to whisper to Astro that both that man and his dog were losers. (I know that is not nice.) Today, Astro is unable to go for walks due to major problems with his joints and bones, but I still walk each and every day. If I am able, I walk twice a day, in the early mourning, and evening. One morning, I saw this man and his dog sitting outside, and as usual, there was no hello or greetings whatsoever. That same day, in the evening, I went by his home, and saw that the German Shepard was not there, but a new chocolate lab puppy was sitting on his lawn. The dog came running to me, and the man ran after him. I broke the silence and asked, 'what happened to your other dog?' He replied, 'he died this morning, and I got a new one.' In my mind I thought, wow, no down time, no period of mourning, the other dog is here one minute and replaced the next.
When Astro passes, for now, I do not hink I will get another dog. For one, it will take me too long to mourn his lost, as it will feel as if the love of my life is gone. The other reason, is that I do not view him as something that can be so easily replaced. He is too special, too unique for me.
Here is the question of the day: If you are a pet owner, and your pet, expired, would you get another one? If so, when? Has this happened to you, and if so, what has been your experience with the second pet?
Thank you for your minds.

43 Comments:
Yes, I've had three dogs before Casper. The first three overlapped, so when one died, there wasn't a conscious decision to get another one right away. It was more of an evolution.
At no time did I think I'd like to live without a dog in my life. They are too special.
When Kyah died, I had two very young children, a severe case of depression, and, besides my dh, very little outside support. We decided to wait to get another dog until we had time to raise one properly. We consciously chose, at that time to change breeds too. From a high energy, intelligent, charming, busy Belgian Sheepdog, to a intelligent, sweet, energetic (but not frenetic) Standard Poodle. You will never know what a joy it is to live with a non-shedding dog in your house!
I've heard people say they wouldn't want another dog because it hurts too much when they pass away. I think that is flawed thinking.....are you not going to participate in living because it hurts too much to feel?
When Astro goes, allow yourself to grieve B. I mourned Kyah, Torin, and Cato for a long, long time. However, it really helps to honour their memory, like you would a person, with photos, and such. We have a large property and both Kyah and Torin are buried there. That helps too.
all the best,
Laura
No one will ever replace Astro in your heart. Sure you will love other animals and it is possible you will love another one with the same depth but that animal will have it's own special relationship with you. It doesn't diminish what you have with Astro, we have plenty of love to go around.
I think the biggest mistake a person can make is to actively go looking for a "replacement" pet after the loss of a beloved animal. They mistakenly feel that another animal will fill the void and they are inevitably wrong. If anything this can lead to resentment and a poor pet/person relationship.
Only you will know when it is time to bring another animal into your life. Chances are good that you won't even have to look for your next pet, it will find you when the time is right.
In the mean time, enjoy your Astro and all the love you two share. Too many people never truly understand the beauty that animals can bring to our lives.
There are several pet posts today, but check out this one:
http://adviceforladies.blogspot.com/
How creative is this?
Being a typical Jewish mother, I would say that no one out there is good enough for my Astro!
Laura and Godlessmom are both right -- no dog will ever replace Astro. But then again, if you do get another dog, no dog will ever replace THAT one either. And on and on it goes.
When Mulligan died I thought I could never get another dog. We ended up with another shelter adoptee 3 weeks later. Not as quick on the draw as your neighbor (wow!), but I had to come face-to-face over those weeks with the fact that life seemed unbearable without a dog in the house.
We went to a small dog shelter to donate Mully's things, and there we met Cowgirl. I'm a sucker for a pretty face.
I felt better about it because Cowgirl has a completely different personality than Mulligan did, so there would be no illusions of replacement. Our rationale was that, since we're committed to adopting shelter dogs and we have a loving home, the longer we go without a dog in the house, the more dogs die. Sad but true. So I almost felt a duty to get another dog in the house as soon as I could handle it.
I don't understand those people who get their pets cloned. There are so many beautiful animals out there just waiting for a loving home. (I feel the same way about humans, by the way. If this make-your-own-baby thing doesn't work out -- knock wood -- we're going to look into adoption soon. I don't need my child to have my genes.)
From this perspective, B, the thought of getting another dog is impossible and even offensive. But when you are on the other side, don't be hard on yourself if your perspective changes. I think of your neighbor like I think of those guys whose wives die one month and then get remarried 3 months later. It seems terribly disrespectful on the surface, but underneath it's evidence of love for the departed, an admission of how much better life was with her around and how unbearable it is without her.
Er, I meant the GUYS get remarried 3 months later, not their departed wives. Heh.
Aw, thanks for the link, Barbara!
I agree with what your other readers have said. Enjoy your time with Astro. I wish every dog had such a happy home and loving family.
Also, we all mourn differently. In the future, you will know when the time is right to adopt another dog. And another dog will in no way replace Astro, but I'm sure he/she will be just as loved. Parents don't have favorite children (hopefully), but they love each of them a little bit differently.
Do you have a photo of Astro? I'm sure he is very handsome!!
We have had several dogs that died in our lifetime of pets. It's hard and you miss the terribly. We just sort of waited till the next one came along. The last few pets that we have had just seem to come on to us. My husband says that we have a hobo's X over our door.
I'll bet the man down the street loved the dog he lost, but he is so lonely that he needed another "little Love" right away. I think everyone is different in that respect. Does the man down the street live alone? Maybe, instead of waiting for him to say hello, you say hello first. Say hello every time you see him and before long you will have a new friend. You can share dog stories.
Her name was Salty....we had her 7 years...She was half golden retriver lab and the other side was german sheppard....we got her when she 5 weeks old....her color was white....with a hint of yellow at certain times of the year....She was so well behaved....she was a member of the family...she went everywhere with us....My mother in law...even let her stay inside her house over the years....and she didn't like dogs....till she met her....She was the best dog ever....Then April 04...she disappeared ....I think about her often and miss her so much.....I can't bring myself to get another pet....I lost a loved one...when I lost her.
It sounds like you and Astro have a special bond.
I have had to mourn several cats over the years, including a couple from my feral colony. It doesn't get any easier. I felt terrible anguish for each one, especially my soulmate, Max, whom after 15 years, I still miss terribly. I have pictures of him all around my room.
My Vincent and Cosmo I lost to the divorce.
After the loss of my ferals I said no more. It is too much for me.
However, I'm all alone now, and it is weird not to have a creature to touch and interact with. I go by the pet store every day and drool over the kittens; they bring such delight. I see a couple in my future. I dare not think about the loss.
After Max died (and the decision to have a cat put down is total agony- and to be there with them), we didn't think about more cats, tho we still had one. BUt 6 months later the hole was too big and we were ready, and we got Vinnie and Cos, which made 3! I would have gone for 4, it was so much fun.
I have Max's ashes and when I die I want him with me. I think that there is no way to know about future pets. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.
I grew up with one dog, a lovely puppy who was bought by my parents the year before I was born. I adored that dog; for two years he was my constant playmate. We had to put him down when I was 13; he was suffering from arthritis and cancer. I was devastated for awhile, but after a year or so my siblings and I really wanted a new pet. We finally got a new dog when I was 16, and I loved her to bits. Since moving to college, though, she's become my little sister's dog, and is no longer mine. I'm only home about 3 weeks out of the year. So now I've been wanting to get myself a dog, but I think I'll have to settle for a cat because they're easier to keep when living in a small apartment.
Have you tried that arthritis medicine for dogs? My parents have an ancient chocolate lab that is on the stuff. It seems to help. Penny has been here since 1991 (I was in 10th grade).
Anyway, Penny was a replacement dog for Lightning. Lightning was my dog. She was 1/2 german shorthair pointer and 1/2 black lab. The vet that I still use was big time into duck hunting. His prized hunting dogs did the nasty. He gave the puppies away to clients. Anyway, Lightning got mowed down by a Volkswagon Beetle.
I did not really want to get the chocolate lab.
After that, my pets have been mainly cats - with the occasional reptile here and there. All the cats just sort of found their way here. I do not got out looking for them. So they do not count as replacement pets.
What great comments! A lesson in and story in each and every one of them.
Let me try to answer some of the quesitons. I have many pictures of Astro, but as you can see, my blog has no pictures, as I have yet to figure out, dispite numerous lessons, how to post them. Yes, Astro is on Remadryl, the medication for arthretis, which helps, but he is older now, and hip dsyplesia is very common especially in golden retrievers.
Actually, this man with the new dog now is married with a family,but seems alone. He has started talking to me now since I have asked him about his dog.
I want Astro buried with me as well. When my father recently died, I asked the man at the Jewish morturary whether it was permitted. He said according to strict halacha, no, but that each person may designate another to put what he/she wants in the casket, and no one is there to stop you. So, I understood that to be a yes, and this is my wish as well.
Hey Barbara,
Thanks for the halachic take on it! I was wondering about that. Cool!
Barbara- have been enjoying your blog for a while now; I suppose its time for me to finally jump in and comment for a change...
I agree with what so many said, there can be no replacement for Astro. But there are so many different animal personalities out there-- I believe we find the animal we need at the time needed. I especially think this is true with rescued animals.
I found my calico Claire at a shelter. I had already decided on a different cat when Claire introduced herself. There was an instant, deep bond between us. Even my husband remarks on this special bond.
We have been through alot in the last 5 years together. Claire was diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease, and survived cat breast cancer (a rarity, as it is 90% fatal for cats). Now I have had to learn how to give her IV fluid therapy every other week, because her IBD meds are causing kindey dysfunction. I know it is inevitable that she will die some day. And I don't believe she can be replaced.
But I do think that at the right time, I will find another cat to rescue (or it will find me). I'll never find a cat with Claire's personality, but that is okay, because there can never be another Claire. But I believe that I will still have the capacity to love another cat... the same love, yet different. I won't be looking to replace, just looking to give another animal some love. Does this make sense?
Welcome to my blog, turtleheart!
Rescuing a pet is such a true act of loving kindness. I know many people, who like yourself, have felt that this good deed is so beneficial to them and the animals.
There will never be a replacement for Astro, you are all right. Whether I can bring myself to getting another animal when that time comes, is another issue.
Normal Jew: Not a pet owner, Aaron? You have such a kindness about you that I would have thought otherwise. I hope this being on his last leg (considering my beloved Astro is somewhat of a criple) was not a joke! My son says the same thing, and I do not understand it.
its just a dog
you shouldnt give a shit when it dies
there are too many human beings that need care
and since your husband complained you should lose the dog now
Y.Y.
I can see you are not a pet owner, and probably do not have much love in your own life to come up with such a statement. Nevertheless, even this is an animal, it is a being, and most people, as you can see from the posts, consider their pets to be a part of their family.
Maybe one day, God willing, you will have the opportunity to experience true love for anyone or anything, and know what it is like. This is very different from love by roat memory.
HI Barbara, I had a sad experience about a year ago. I had Bailey and decided that I wanted to get a friend for him. I got another schnoodle puppy and one week after I had her, she had a terrible accident and died. I didn't even have her long enough to get to know her, but I was heartbroken. I screamed and cried and mourned. I had her cremated and kept her ashes. Luckily, I had taken a lot of photos of her, so I have those.. along with her collar, her chew toy, a scarf she had worn, and another one she had not even gotten to wear yet. It was tragic and still breaks my heart.
I had to run home (Idaho) to cry to my Dad. He always knows the right things to say to make me feel better. After I returned home (two weeks after precious little Bijou died), Bailey and I got Baxter.
I will write a post about it one of these days. I did write one back in May or early June, I think. It's a sad sad story and I can't make one happy thing come out of it. Except BAXTER, whom I love with all of my heart (Bailey and the birds too).
thanks for dropping by my site. do you mind if I add you to my blogroll?
I wrote a short article that should explain my feelings.
http://pecawsgift.blogspot.com/2005/03/our-thurbie-tree.html
It comes down to would you love again, knowing that your heart can and will be broken again.
How sad to see a response like Y.Y.'s. Instead of making me angry, it just made me feel sorry for him.
I don't know. I've never gotten a pet after the death of another pet. I'm pretty sure that, at this point, I won't get any pets until all three of my current pets (1 dog, 2 cats) are gone. And even then, we'll wait and see. I do love them dearly, but they can constrain, too.
i think pets are wonderful. one of my favorites was a canary -- i had him over 10 years. my dog i've only had for about 2, but she's the closest thing to me -- we bonded right away at the humane society. i don't think anything could replace her if i didn't have her. i'd be tremendously devastated -- and i know that she won't live forever.
would i get another dog? probably. not a replacement dog. i've seen people do that, but i don't much care for it. my animals are talked to and treated well (i grew up liking gunther gable williams in the circus and noticed he "talked" to his tigers -- so i must have picked up something from him and roy). anyhow, i look at family members and their pets -- they just give them orders and the pet just acts like an animal. my pets are talked to and they are really unique and very personable for it.
think you and astro have a special friendship going! a psychic once told me the animals go looking for you not vice versa -- some of us are lucky enough to be chosen!
I'm sorry you're losing Astro. My favorite cat, George, who I had for 16 years, died in November.
I hope he can be reincarnated and come back to me in some other form, although I don't really believe in that. But I wish it were true and I kind of secretly hope.
I've had many animals, and loved them all in different ways. But I think there are only a few who you feel are "the love of your life". George was my favorite of all that I've known.
I have a cat who adopted us before George passed away, Maddie.
If I had a choice, I wouldn't have chosen to get a new cat when she came along -- for one thing, she tormented poor old Georgie in his last year on earth. I wish she could have let him be, but she was too feral to know any better. But she needed us and wouldn't let us go till we saved her, so now we have her.
She couldn't be more different than he was. She's savage, wild and fierce, while he was the essence of a gentle loveable lap cat. I really adore her though, in a totally different way than I loved (and still love) him. She helps me deal with my sadness over the loss of my gentle George.
If you want another pet, go ahead and get one. But think about your friend Astro too... what would he want?
I'm not sure I'll outlive my pets!
*shudders at the thought of living in Y.Y.'s dismal, post-apocolyptic homophobic and dog-hating world*
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.
--Author unknown
I had a Scottish Terrier (my first "baby") who passed away the week before my daughter was born. It's been nearly 5 years since and only this past week did my husband and I decide to get a new puppy. The time in between allowed us to focus on our daughter (and our boys), allowed us to not worry about additional responsibility. The time passing also allowed us to properly mourn our Abby - today, we're quickly falling in love with our new baby, Sassy (a miniature pinscher) without any "pain" over losing our last one. I do know that many folks often get a puppy in the last years of a pet - that way they still have a little one there to give love during the painful time following the death of the older dog.
yy's comment is sad. It makes me very sad. I liked what Scott W said about the Rainbow Bridge. I want to believe that it's real. And t.f.stern had a nice story about his dogwood tree. It made me a little teary. Animals are wonderful. They enrich our lives in ways that no human can. I will always be an advocate for the animals because #1) they can't speak for themselves and #2) there are people out there like yy.
Thanks, Barbara from California, for inviting me over here today.
That was lovely Scott W....Thank you for sharing!!!
That is one thing....My Salty was always happy to see me...no matter what...and she listened and listened....I told her everything!!!.....They say people with animals in there life is less stressed.
Our whole family can relate to your post of loving Astro. Our Rottweiler CiaoBella, Bella for short we love her with all our hearts. She has been slowing down herself and we worry about her all the time. She never goes without attention and she understands most everything we say. Even on slow days she gets up to greet us no matter what and never complains..on good or bad days. Bella is our family in everyway.
As far as the sad day coming...hopefully a very long time from now.....my family feels as I do now...it will be a long time before she would ever be replaced w/another pet.. if ever.
My husband and I have decided that when any of our animals pass away, we will get another one to replace it.
Barbara~
I lost my German Shep. 2 yrs ago (she was only 7yrs) & my mix-breed 3 yrs ago(she was 15yrs). The Shep. died in her sleep of unknown causes & the mix we put to sleep because her organs were shutting down and she was dying.
We have two cats that we had with the dogs. We don't plan to get a dog in the future. The pain of getting over them has been too difficult for us.
You will know what the right thing for you is when the time comes.
I personally can't put my heart through it again. That may change someday...but even the thought of getting another one is too painful for me at this time.
Our dogs were like kids to us & we spoiled them to death. I know they both had a wonderful life & I cherish the time I had with them.
Best wishes to you & Astro...You will know what your needs are after that time comes.
Kiss Astro for all of us!!!
Shelly
Barbara, in our case, no. Our well loved kitty died a few years ago and we chose not to replace him. He was such a fixture in our house and lives that we thought he would be missed and he is. Replacing the cat does not replace him though.
The house smells MUCH better now too *S*
Fabulous stories, and some tear jerkers too.
I love that Rainbow Bridge piece, Scott. Someone send it to me when her dog passed.
I am going to cut and paste (I CAN do that..) and print these out.
Thank you for posting them.
BfC, you'll know if and when it's time to get another animal. Your heart will tell you.
We had two dogs for 11 years - they died within 6 months of each other. It broke our hearts to bits. We were bereft.
Somehow, miraculously, within a year we had two other dogs. We didn't plan it that way, but it happened, and we accepted it. These two are now the light of our lives, they are our new family. Although our first dogs will live forever in our hearts, and no one will ever replace them. And those two feelings are not contradictory.
Sometimes I think that the two dogs we have now are our last set, ever. That when they go, we'll live without the expense and responsibility, and do some things we can't do while we have dogs.
But who knows? If a dog enters my life, will I turn it away?
I don't think you can plan it in advance. One day you may just feel you need another dog in your life, and then you'll know. Or you may not, ever. It's such a personal thing.
I think all of you have another message, which is something I should keep in mind as well: keep an open mind and heart, and I cannot tell today how I will feel down the road.
For today, I know that another dog is not wanted for me. But that is today.
My Fat Pants kitty is my best friend!! I dont know what I would do if he wasnt here. In fact, it makes me cry just thinking about it. He is 11 too, and I know he wont be around forever. But for now I like to pretend he is immortal. :)
i cant believe how ppl have become so weak that they need love of animals
animals were created to be hunted by men
get it?
or you all keep being smarter then god
dont give me the bull shit that im cruel
whats the difference between killing ox and cows and chickens turkey
but a dog noooooooooooo
if you EAT chicken you should eat dog meat
ill slaughter a dog and cook out the dinner yum
I lost Claw the Chill Kitty in a hit and run accident one month after she moved into the home that Wolf and I bought together, and three weeks before our wedding. It was one of the worst days of my life. I cried, I screamed, I wailed and mourned for her.
She was a part of my life during the worst of it, my twenties. My life was so chaotic then--partying all the time, inconsistent employment, boyfriend after boyfriend, apartment after aparment.
Claw had been my companion for almost a decade when she died. She had survived moving every three months for 2 years, living with a ferret, two other cats that loathed her, and getting fixed. Yet she loved me although I was not a very good cat owner. I could not give her consistant vet care, and although I tried to always feed her organic cat food, I wasn't always successful. Often times I would take off for days at a time to hang out with friends and/or lovers, leaving my roommates or mother to care for her.
Due to my inconsistant care, she was quite bitchy. You could only pet her for about a minute before she would bite you. She had a way of flicking her tail that let you now that she was getting pissed, and she could be quite sarcastic when she wanted to be with her eye expressions and meows. She was a great huntress who decimated the chipmunk population of the home Wolf and I bought in the three weeks she lived there and while living at my mothers would often bring me home presents, which I was always grateful for (even if I was pretty grossed out).
But oh, how I love her still! I miss her and think of her often--she's been gone for three years. As I said above, Claw died three weeks before Wolf and I got married. We came back from our honeymoon and we were at the shelter picking out two new cats, Caesar and Harely, two weeks later. While I don't regret their prescence in my life, I know that it was too soon. I didn't give myself time to heal from Claw's quick death and, as a result, her soul would skulk around the house letting me know she was a little miffed. She terrorized Harley for a time until she finally just faded away--although I'm not sure why she faded away. Since we moved out of The Lone Tulip Estates and here to HH, I've not felt her prescence.
Right now we're filled up with pets. We live in a 700 sq foot mobile home and have 3 cats and a 70 lb Siberian Husky, Jaxsun. The Husky, who is about 8 (he's from a rescue organziation dedicated to Sibes), has never been in great health so we're not sure how long he'll be with us (Husky's tend to live 10-14 years). Caesar is about 10 and Harley is about 6, and Francesca is 6 months, so I can't see us introducing more pets to our home anytime soon. As much as I preach "wait, grieve, mourn" I know I wouldn't, instead would run down to the nearest shelter to pick up a cat and/or call a rescue to find a new pooch.
So I say wait, but I'll understand if you can't.
This is another version of Rainbow Bridge, generally for pets who have been recused.
There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors.
Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge, there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass. When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water, and warm Spring weather. Those old and frail animals are young again. Those who have been maimed are made whole again. They play all day with each other.
Some of them here are different. They were beaten, starved, tortured, and unloved. They watch wistfully as their friends leave one by one, to cross the bridge with their special person. For them there is no one, no special one. Their time on earth did not give them one.
But one day, as they run and play, they notice someone standing by the road to the bridge. This person wistfully watches the reunions of friends, for in their life, they had no pet. They were beaten, starved, tortured, and unloved.
As they stand there alone, one of the unloved pets comes up to them, curious as to why this one is alone. And as the they get nearer to each other, a miracle occurs, for these are the ones who were meant to be together. Their special person, their beloved pet, although on Earth they never met. With the meeting of two souls, the pain and the sorrow disappear, and two friends are together.
Then they cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.
- Anonymous
If you decide to get another pooch, Barbara, I hope you will contact a rescue organization dedicated to the breed you are interested in.
Rescue groups are easy to find. Type the name of the breed and city near you into Google. For example: Siberian Rescue+Santa Monica (I got over 9,000 just now).
Or go to the nearest shelter.
YY, I would bet that you have never really owned a pet, particularly a dog or a cat. If you read some of these comments here, you will see, that people express and experience TRUE and REAL love towards their animals.
Maybe you should get one to see what it is like, and you can better understand what people are talking about.
I cannot nor will I address the substance of your comments.
you are rite i have never owned a pet
Dear Barbara,
I came over because my friend Rachael said that you were cool,, she is always right about these things.
I was reading posts to see what you were about and found this about Astro. G_d bless him. So, I know that you are VERY cool by how you talk about your four legged friend. I have been in the Veterinary field my whole life and have had many experiences that prove to me that animals have souls, so rest assured that the Deity will not have a problem with you and Astro in the same 'hole' once everyone's time is up. If you use energy manipulation at all, Astro would benefit greatly just from 'laying on of hands' Rimadyl has as many plus's as minus's, personally I would not use it even though it gives the appearance of relief I feel the other organ damange is too great. If you continue to use it think of using MILK THISTLE daily to help with Astro's liver function.
All in all remember to ALLOW Astro to leave, and not hold him back, as this was the problem most animals faced when it was there 'time'. The human held them back with their Love, believe it or not. Once a lady who we had tried to convince was doing the right thing by helping the death process kept refusing and would return the the clinic weekly with the poor dog, and when she finally was convinced that the vet could do no more a strange thing happened. The vet went to get the papers signed as I held the baby in the treatment area, I was telling him that 'Mama' knew it was OK to leave now, and that she loved him and didn't want him in any pain and that he could move on the OtherSide with Light and Love. I swear this dog looked as me as I said this to him, waiting on the veterinarian to return with signed papers and euthanazia solution in a syringe. I was stroking him, and repeating my mantra of "Mama says it's OK to go Now" and he died right there in my hands. No needles of death, just RELEASE. Of course I burst out crying being the big homoSensitive I am. The lady was so happy that was how it happened and I had yet more proof that Animals have thinking, wonderful souls that hear us and help us out daily in this sad mixed up world.
My Spec, a black and white cat, I brought home the 'juice' and did the deed myself in 2003 as he was too damaged to continue. I had him for 20 years and he always slept on my head at night. Needless to say,since then I have had constant insomnia. I swore no more cats, still had Pud his partner, but last September I rescued a tiny black kitten (really the whole kitten family) who was to become my newest child. Monkey Kat!!
Life moves on, and those whom we loved are always with us in our hearts.
sorry for the length of the post.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home