Tuesday, August 16, 2005

You are What You Do

A somewhat philosophical, and non-political post is in order, at least for me. With everything going on in Israel over these past few days, my emotions are raw, and feelings sad.

Surely, by now most people have heard the saying, 'you are what you eat.' What specifically does it mean by 'you are?' Does it define what makes each of us an individual and is it a measure (see below for that post) of our worth? What about the conclusion reached that we are what we say, somehow the assumption that each and everyone of us are under an assumption that our words have some type of power, and that their mere utterance defines what we feel, believe or think about a particular issue?

What about another saying, that we are what we do? Is not the ultimate measure of the quality of our character, and the nature of our being best measured by our acts? In Judaism, there is a concept of tikkun oleum, repairing the world, as I have discussed. There is also an idea that the best way to show love and kindness towards others, and to make ourselves feel at the most peaceful and serene level, is really measured by our acts, or deeds, and not truly our words.

So for today, rather than just say what I think, I am going to go out and do something kind for a person, unconditionally. Not something with invisible strings, like sending a gift, and expecting something back, but doing something good, out of my heart, to brighten up the day of another soul, something within my ability and means, just because I want to do a good deed. If you are in need of a good deed today, please let me know, and if I am able to do it, I will.

Thank you for your minds.

13 Comments:

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

NJ,

If there are any organizations that need donations, clothing, or books of that sort, you may know of, please let me know. Otherwise, you will have to be more specific.

9:19 AM  
Blogger queeniesmom said...

the highest form of tziddakkah, charity if you will, is helping someone become self supporting. how about finding an organization that helps train a person for a job or if you have good business clothes you are not using donate them to one of the women's organiztions that help dress women for interviews.
be well.

9:30 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

queenie's mom,

If you can think of any particular organizations that would benefit from clothing, fragrances, make-up (unused), etc., please email me and let me know.

10:02 AM  
Blogger TLP said...

Sorry, Barbara, you write so well, and you talk about good topics. But today I got hung up on 'What specifically does it mean by 'you are?'

Reminded me of Bill Clinton. What IS is. *slinking off after having caused herself embarrassment.*

12:58 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Tan Lucy,

LOL...I hear you!

My inquiry was philosophical rather than explanational. But I know how asking what the meaning of is is can be quite unwelcoming.

Thanks for the chuckle today!

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

difficult question, along the lines of 'what do we mean when we say the sky IS blue'. It asks, what is the nature of existence ? To answer this simply, we have to have an understanding of nothingness. (This is not the same as 'what is not'). What IS comes out of, or appears from nothingness. Thus some people, (the mentally ill?), have existential crises whereby the normal everyday structure of reality no longer coheres for them. They perceive behind the structure of 'reality'. That we are what we do or eat or say is just too fanciful to be taken seriously.

1:39 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

anyon...

Check out the book, BEING AND NOTHINGNESS by Jean Paul Sarte.

Beautiful.

I am going to donate some money to Israel for today.

Be well to everyone.

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wish you well with your mission -- there are many places and people that would beneift from a good deed.

1:42 PM  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

If we are what we do, then I am Greg. *bawdy guffaw*

In all seriousness, I couldn't agree more. I've been thinking about this for a while. As a professor I'm now getting that generation of kids who experienced the first wave of the big self-esteem movement of the 1990s, which erred on the side of telling kids they were good people no matter how hurtful their behavior was.

Well -- okay. I do understand the need for parents and other elders to love their kids unconditionally, to tell them that they will be loved even when they make mistakes. But some kids took this message to mean, "I can be an axe murderer and still be a good person inside."

Who the hell cares if you're a "good person" if you're an axe murderer? It's GOOD to feel guilty and ashamed of yourself sometimes -- it means you've violated your own standards of behavior, which means you've actually *internalized* standards of behavior. That's a positive thing. People who walk around with no internalized standards of behavior are called sociopaths.

Can you imagine how ludicrous it would have been for Hitler to say, "Really, I'm a good person INSIDE"?

The fact is, TO THE REST OF THE WORLD, THE ENTIRETY OF WHO YOU ARE IS WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO.

How do I know Barbara is such a great person? Because of what she says and what she does.

You've already done many good deeds for me, so no need to add anything to the list today. :-)

2:47 PM  
Blogger I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

On my sidebar, toward the bottom, is a link to a website run by me and a fellow blogger called "Bloggers Care" The foundation we are raising money for is called the tumbleweed foundation. We just recently started the site in an attempt to raise Awareness/funds... or you could donate to that charity directly. The aim of the foundation is to provide financial relief to familes with a terminally ill child. We feel strongly that these families last concern should be monetary... losing a child is difficult enough. Check it out, no donation is too small!

Inspiring post, by the way! Thanks!

5:03 PM  
Blogger mal said...

despite my dads many faults, one hard lesson he hammered home to us "Our Deeds Define Us" really sobering when you really internalize it

Go in Grace *S*

5:35 PM  
Blogger Lila said...

Yes, we are what we do. We are our choices and decisions... and of course, what we say is a subset of what we do.

7:16 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Such great comments, and nice compliments. I am truly humbled.

By the way, WW has a gorgeous husband! Do not let her, or anyone tell you otherwise!

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home