A Letter to Astro
For my dear Astro:
Maybe if I use my words to express what I am feeling about your passing, some of my tears will evaporate, and you will know how I am feeling, and the many ways you are missed. Your absence has left a giant hole inside my heart and inside of our home.
When I wake up in the morning, at 5:am, the first thing I do is go to make sure you are alright. Since you were such a cleaver canine, you learned from an early age, to open up the sliding glass doors downstairs by jumping up, and kicking the door ajar with your paws or nose. For these past two days, the doors have remained completely closed in your absence. Each breakfast, after I finish with my bowl of cereal, I put it down on the floor for you to drink the milk. Today, the bowl remained full, but my heart felt empty.
Before I went back to court, you used to lay on the marble in the entryway, especially on hot days. When I went out for a walk, I could always tell you were there as your body allow the door to open completely. Today, when I left, the door was opened all the way.
When I would come home from work, you would be there waiting, with unabashed playfulness, wagging your tail, and spinning around, often placing a kiss on my cheak. Today, when I come home, it is to an empty house, to silence.
It feels so very sad that you are gone. You were a part of our family for almost 13 years, and living without you will clearly take some emotional adjustment.
You will always be here, inside my heart, and I will remember you always. It took much strength and courage to let you go, but in doing so, I believe that it allowed you to leave this earth with dignity, and strength that were beginning to fade away.
Thank you, Astro, for lighting up my heart and my life.
Maybe if I use my words to express what I am feeling about your passing, some of my tears will evaporate, and you will know how I am feeling, and the many ways you are missed. Your absence has left a giant hole inside my heart and inside of our home.
When I wake up in the morning, at 5:am, the first thing I do is go to make sure you are alright. Since you were such a cleaver canine, you learned from an early age, to open up the sliding glass doors downstairs by jumping up, and kicking the door ajar with your paws or nose. For these past two days, the doors have remained completely closed in your absence. Each breakfast, after I finish with my bowl of cereal, I put it down on the floor for you to drink the milk. Today, the bowl remained full, but my heart felt empty.
Before I went back to court, you used to lay on the marble in the entryway, especially on hot days. When I went out for a walk, I could always tell you were there as your body allow the door to open completely. Today, when I left, the door was opened all the way.
When I would come home from work, you would be there waiting, with unabashed playfulness, wagging your tail, and spinning around, often placing a kiss on my cheak. Today, when I come home, it is to an empty house, to silence.
It feels so very sad that you are gone. You were a part of our family for almost 13 years, and living without you will clearly take some emotional adjustment.
You will always be here, inside my heart, and I will remember you always. It took much strength and courage to let you go, but in doing so, I believe that it allowed you to leave this earth with dignity, and strength that were beginning to fade away.
Thank you, Astro, for lighting up my heart and my life.

33 Comments:
:'-( :'-( :'-(
Who says animals have no souls?
Long hugs to you in memory of Astro. Upon your death, may heaven manifest itself as a sunny field across which you and Astro run to greet each other.
I am so very sorry for your loss B! I have been where you are now and am coming to terms that I will be there again as Hope (my terrier) is getting older.
It is truly a blessing to have been loved by an animal!
Peace for you and Astro.
♥
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...
Thanks for your phone call, K...I know you are a true dog lover too.
ateau, thank you for your words, and I agree, a beloved animal is a blessing.
Bohica, thank you for posting The Rainbow Bridge on my blog. I love it. Someone sent me a copy in the mail today with a donation made to an animal care foundation in memory of Astro.
sorry about your dog. i have a dog name penny (jack russel terier) and we love her so. can't imagine losing her.
think about how lucky she was living his life with you and you with him.
Humans like you are so lucky to know the true value of the bond that is nurtured between animals and thier human caregivers.
I am sorry for your loss.
Your memories of Astro are yours forever :)
Thanks for sharing,
Tab
That was the sweetest most heartfelt post.....HUGGS
Sorry about the loss of your pet.I never imagined one's dog could mean so much.
Are you going to get another pet?
I am so sorry for you loss. Peace to both of you.
I am truly touched by your kind words, and I thank you so much.
No, I do not plan to get another dog.
This brings tears to my eyes. You probably read my post about my beloved BoBo. I sure hope that cloning of pets becomes a success by the time he is about 12 years old. I don't ever want to be without him. How sad that these babies of ours live such short lives.
Having lost beloved dogs in the past, I absolutely feel where you're at. Astro was one lucky pup to have such a caring family to live with! He'll always be with you in spirit. :)
Having the honor of being a part of a dog's life is a blessing. It's something special with dogs since they are so incredibly loyal and give you endless love no matter what. So the bond to a dog is a strong one, and loosing a dog is so incredibly hard.
It has been 4 years now and I still miss our Shira (Bichon Frise). I don't miss her every day still, but I think of her often.
I am so sorry you had to let go, Barbara..
B -- about getting another dog. I fear I offended you the other day on the phone when I said don't be hard on yourself if you do end up thinking about getting another dog.
I'm very sorry if I upset you. Please let me explain. When you lose a dear friend or family member, human or animal, the thought of "replacing" them is repellent. They can never be replaced. They were one of a kind, and you can't imagine having as much love for someone else. The very idea of getting another dog seems like a huge betrayal to Astro. That's as it should be.
But time does unexpected things to people. Was Astro the first beloved pet you've ever had? If not, was bringing him home and loving him for all those years a betrayal to all the animals you've loved before? I suspect you brought him home and loved him because (a) you had a great home to offer and (b) you had lots of love and needed somewhere to direct it. Even though you are determined never to get another dog, in the coming years you *may* feel the need to open your home and your heart again, just like a widow or widower who eventually begins dating again. Then again, you may not. Either way is okay, and the decision is highly personal. I'm just trying to tell you that if you DO start thinking about it, don't punish yourself or feel guilty. Assuming we've allowed enough time to go by, opening our homes and ourselves to new animal loves doesn't do a disservice to those who've "crossed the Rainbow Bridge;" it is actually a tribute to them. So I guess what I'm saying is, be easy on yourself no matter what. Grief takes its own course for each individual and there's no "right" way to deal with it.
{{{{{{{{{{B}}}}}}}}}}
Dear Barbara,
I have been 'offline' for a while, and just saw the post on Astro.
You know that my heart goes out to you and to Astro. May Astro always live in our Memory and heart for I know he was a dear friend and companion. To learn love we only have to look into the eyes of our four-legged friends to see total Unconditional LOVE.
Much love to you and family,
Scott
I'm so sorry to hear about Astro, Barbara.
I'm sure Astro knows how you feel about him. I'm equally sure that the feeling is mutual. I truly believe that you will meet again. Until then, you have some wonderful memories.
Dogs are the epitome of unconditional love.
~Mike
I am so very very sorry, Barbara.
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Astro's loss still resonates with me in a powerful way. This canine was the talk of our neighborhood. Everytime we went for a walk together, it brought people out to say hello to us. Friendly and sweet as sugar, Astro was so kind to all he met.
It is surprising, but several of my neighbors have sent over baskets of flowers, brought cards, and made donations in memory of Astro.
He was truly a beloved creature, and each and every day, I miss him more.
So sorry! (((Barbara)))
I am so terribly sorry about Astro. You have lost a beloved member of the family and I know how much it hurts. I have been thinking about you.
You have my sympathies, Barbara, on the loss of your beloved Astro.
When I had to put my little Tootsie to sleep, I could feel her spirit in the house for weeks afterwards. She was still following me around wanting to be right there with me wherever I went. At night I could sense her by my bedside asking me to pick her up and put her in bed with us just as I had done so many nights in the past. I keep her ashes in a small wooden box on a shelf in my den.
I have a new story up at my blog about another little dog I knew once. Maybe my story can speak to you in comforting ways as you mourn the passing of your Astro. I hope you come and read it.
I am glad Chester has some really good company now. My thoughts and heart are with you.
Aww Barbara, I'm sorry about your doggie. A good dog is a conduit to God.
*hugs*
I'm so sorry. My Toby was just diagniosed with Lymes Disease. Not quite as devestating, but still difficult. If there's anything I can do...
Thank you all so very much for your kind and beautiful words, which are so appreciated. Those of you with beloved animals know the feeling of losing someone who is a part of your family, your 'canine child.'
Tonight will be particularly difficult, as it is Shabbath. Each Friday night, Astro would take his place next to me, wait for the candles to be lit, the kiddish to be said, then the hamotzi, and he would salivate waiting for his piece of challah bread. His absence tonight will be so ever noticed, and our family will feel as if one of its cherished members is no longer with us.
Barbara;
I'm sorry I didn't read about your dog sooner. I would have liked to share it with you, even though you don't know me.
My dog's saga began in early December, and ended just three short weeks later; I did NOT want to be the one to make the decision to end his pain, yet I owed him at least that, for the years he had given me.
Rather than mourn his death .... celebrate his life.
Please allow me to give you a very big hug Barbara:
(((((((Barbara)))))))
I sit here, another dog lover, thinking of your sweet Astro and the great sad hole left in your family and your neighbourhood and I wish you the comfort from your grief that I imagine Astro would have wanted for you. I am so sorry for your great loss.
just read the news.. days too late.
My sympathies are with you. I hope Astro has gone to a higher plan and is scratching and sniffing with a puppy's enthusiasm!
Hi Barbara, I came over to your site from CafeDa. I'm so sorry to hear about Astro. I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through. It's been my biggest fear since I brought home my Jackie. Astro sounds like an absolutely wonderful dog. I'm sure he's doing well wherever he is and checking in on you tail wagging.
Barbara... I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Astro. I know he meant the world to you. Please accept my belated sympathies.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home