Thursday, April 06, 2006

To Carry or not to Carry? What's In a Shopping Bag

The post I originally sought out for today, I will save for Sunday, and this may be a first, but I am posting on a less serious, but still well thought out topic: shopping bags.

These past couple of months, I have been on a shopping extravaganza. The other day, a woman told me that she loved my bracelet. I told her, this is not one bracelet, but five, different colored ones with those fascinating and protective evil eyes. My friend, who was standing there said to me, one is just not enough for you, I guess. I chuckled, and thought, that about sums up who I am: one of anything is not ever enough!

Shopping has been varied over this month, and the purchases have included everything from clothing, to jewerly, perfumes, shoes, and other personal items that are needed since being back in the public work force. At times, I will make purchases on-line, but more often than not, the most enjoyable experiences come from going inside of stores, and carrying out their bags.

Have you ever stopped to notice shopping bags? They come in all colors, textures, even themes and advertisements gleam and glassine their exterior. For example, Bloomingdales has a bag that is called "The Little Brown Bag." Barneys of New York, has one of my favorite bags, a sleek black, with double roped handles, and these are good for storage afterwards. Then you have the plastic bag with a bull's eye from Target, that is also noteworthy.

Do you have a favorite shopping bag?

As a side note, I have turned over all the credit cards and checkbooks to my husband again, in an attempt to keep us out of bankruptcy.

15 Comments:

Blogger WinterWheat said...

Yes! Somebody sent me a bunch of pictures of really clever shopping bags. I wish I had the original link. Most of them made use of the string handles as part of an illustration (e.g., Tarzan swinging from rope to rope). The handles would naturally be taut and vertical when the bag was carried. If I ever find these images again I'll post the link.

As far as regular shopping bags go, I love Bendel's bags.

9:18 AM  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

Hooray for google! Here's the link:

http://www.funmansion.com/html/Clever-Bags.html

9:19 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

There seems to be a real gender difference in shopping... All my adult life, all I had to do was set foot in a mall and I'd feel this energy-drain sucking the life out of me through the soles of my feet as I trudged along behind whatever female made me go with her. It was like walking on the planet Jupiter, where you weigh 500 times your earthly weight, or something like that...

More seriously, Barbara:

I’ve been out of the blogosphere for several months and wanted to touch bases with some of my former "regulars" before starting to post again.

There's an email link on my blog - would you mind sending me a quick email so I can get back to you, unless you have one of those “nonresponder” email addresses, in which case I couldn’t do that…

Good to be back –

9:26 AM  
Blogger Jade L Blackwater said...

Hmmm… I’m afraid that I’m rather at a loss on this topic, for I completely dislike shopping. I avoid shopping at all costs, and avoid malls like the plague. For over six years I've chosen to shop online for everything from my weekly groceries to gifts to other necessities. Even then, I try to keep shopping to a minimum.

If I had to pick a bag preference, it would invariably lean towards all brown paper bags, which are not only recyclable, but are produced without chlorine bleach or other harmful chemicals. The "scourge" of plastic bags is only marginally slowed by recycling, and I much prefer to take along my back pack or other personal tote if I do shop in public so that I may decline bagging whenever possible. :)

10:15 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Barb, I like the Bath and Body works bags and the Williams and Samona bags. I am a bargain shopper and I usually don't go to Macys and places like that unless they have a big sale on.

PS. I really do like going in for jury duty. The case I was (not picked for) was just a little too close for me. My sister's son was falsely accused in such a case. It ended up getting dropped, but I was upset with how the prosecutors badgered him to plead guilty knowing that they were going to drop the case.... I have served on a civil jury three years ago and loved it.

11:39 AM  
Blogger The Absent Minded Housewife said...

I'm just vowing not to clothes shop at a Walmart...

12:01 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Leave it to you, K. to find such an interesting, humerous link.

I am surprised and delighted to see the men posting here. Paul, most men do not like shopping. JT, those bags sound awesome, and to be orange definitely makes them stand out in a crowd. JLB, an environmentally conscious person! I love it.

Lucy, I have not seen BBW bags, and Becky, I agree with you complely: no Wallmart clothes shopping!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

No! Don't ever relinquish the credit cards! What are you thinking? :D

Winterwheat's stumbled onto something way cool. Shopping bags are a marketing item. I think they should be a priority to any company that is in a mall environment, where people will be walking about with your advertisement.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not a hard question for me -- the most "girly" bag would be victoria's secret (the pink and white tote with the pink tissue paper). sometimes stuff this feminine would make me want to throw up, but i have to say it's my favorite anyway -- and i hold on to them for a while (well, it's not often i get to go there). :)

1:24 PM  
Blogger Niobium said...

I loathe shopping.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Patty said...

anything that says Wal-Mart is good for me lol

2:06 PM  
Blogger I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

I've never stoppped to notice shopping bags before. You have access to way cooler stores than I have! Almost everything I buy gets plopped into a plastic grocery sack-type bag. I like them though becuase they make nice liners for wastebaskets.

5:01 PM  
Blogger concerned citizen said...

I like the plastic grocery bags myself. Living in the rural west there isn't much 'shopping experience'.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Michael K. Althouse said...

I can identify with one never being enough. One is usually too many.

I love that link from winterwheat! Those are some very cool bags!

~Mike

12:17 AM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

I love the Henri Bendel bags--so cute with the black and white stripes. I also love the Takashamaya bags--they are triangular and weird. Of course I love Hermes bags--nothing like that shade of orange!

xo
Jen

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home