John Hostettler: His Remarks on Demonization
Not wanting to loose the point made below by Republican Rep. John Hostettler, I am going to make it a seperate post here.
Dick Durbin and Howard Dean are not the only ones saying engaging in outrageous banter these days. Here are the remarks made by Republican Rep. John Hostettler on the House Floor:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apwashington_story.asp?category=1153&slug=Congress%20Religion
These remarks were made over a measure that would have put the House, on record as opposed to 'coercive and abusive religious proselytizing" at the U.S. Air Force Academy. In essence, Hostettler's remarks were such that he concluded that "Democrats can't help themselves when it comes to denigrating and demonizing Christians."
In my opinion, nasty and inapproriate remarks are wrong no matter who says them.
Here is the question of the day: Are these remarks appropriate for a member of the House to make on the House floor. Read the remarks for yourself. How, if at all are they any less appropriate from the remarks made by Dubin and Dean? For the record, I conclude that those remarks, were in fact inappropriate (see my comments below.)
Thank you for your minds.
Dick Durbin and Howard Dean are not the only ones saying engaging in outrageous banter these days. Here are the remarks made by Republican Rep. John Hostettler on the House Floor:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apwashington_story.asp?category=1153&slug=Congress%20Religion
These remarks were made over a measure that would have put the House, on record as opposed to 'coercive and abusive religious proselytizing" at the U.S. Air Force Academy. In essence, Hostettler's remarks were such that he concluded that "Democrats can't help themselves when it comes to denigrating and demonizing Christians."
In my opinion, nasty and inapproriate remarks are wrong no matter who says them.
Here is the question of the day: Are these remarks appropriate for a member of the House to make on the House floor. Read the remarks for yourself. How, if at all are they any less appropriate from the remarks made by Dubin and Dean? For the record, I conclude that those remarks, were in fact inappropriate (see my comments below.)
Thank you for your minds.

20 Comments:
Fox News will just change his words and make it look like he is saint, while all the democrats are not.
Sometimes I wish that America had LOST the revolutionary war, or that King George had just given the colonies some seats in Parliment. Then, we would be a commonwealth, or part of, the UK. Would things really be so bad?
At least then we could make a lot more queen jokes.
Hi from Fort Worth, TX... not much time to comment, but... GIVE ME A BREAK! A war on CHRISTIANITY? Please. This is practically a Christian Nation, if anything. I am rolling my eyes from here in the biblebelt.
Greetings, Aral in FW. Hope you are well!
As I indicated below, I am waiting for the spinmiester, Karl Rove, to weigh in. This man can make John McCain look like a war coward. He is one sharp cookie, Rove. Not sure this is a compliment, howerver.
...you dislike nastiness, but you write a big ole post about hostettler and what he said, then as an aside, oh yeah, i know dean said this too, but lok at THIS GUY!...
why not write a nice dedictated post about the VICIOUS things these guys said?
... you guys think you see things with an even hand, but it's not true...
Personally, I am not that interested in what Mr. Hosstettler had to say as much as I was the reactions of the right wing conservatives and Bush supporters. Everyone cares more about what is said and apologizing these days then in getting their jobs done.
Now what I cared about was to see what the reaction would be from the other side. Thank you for proving the point.
Have a good day.
what durbin said was 100% in or out of context.
The left has a historical problem how many times have they called an American president a Nazi? answer 4 3 gop and 1 democrat.
Anyone who could in there right mind compare DACHOU, JOE STALINS GOLAG, POL POTS KILLING FIELDS OR SADDAMS MASS GRAVES with Getmo must have flunked History 101.
I wish my wife's family had been treated like the terrorists in Getmo then they would still be alive. No one has died in Getmo.
Millions have died in Dachou, stalins golog, pol pots killing fields or were place in Saddam's mass graves.
95% of my wifes family were butchered in Europe during ww2. And it is not just my family, but my son's mother in law survived because her family got to shanhi, china.
I am sorry IF i offended is not an appology
my response is exactly the same as yours. you liberals always try to act like your so high and mighty, all you amount to is a bunch of condescending liars who hide behind a veil of acceptance. be true to your motives, you want everyone to live in peace and harmony, as long as it's the peace and harmony YOU decide! anyone else is an idiot, a puppet, a theocrat, or a war mongerer... your stereotypes are screaming loud and clear
Ok, yochanan, so clearly you didn't read a single one of my posts about this issue on which you continue to spout ignorance.
You wish your wife's family was treated like they are in Gitmo? You wish your wife's family had been RAPED? What a wish.
Apparently I must repeat myself:
One example: The NY Times reported in May that two Afghan prisoners were tortured to death.
Mr. Dilawar was an innocent man who simply drove his taxi past the American base at the wrong time.
He "He had been chained by the wrists to the top of his cell for much of the previous four days". The guards squirted water at him as he gagged.
Then:
"At the interrogators' behest, a guard tried to force the young man to his knees. But his legs, which had been pummeled by guards for several days, could no longer bend. An interrogator told Mr. Dilawar that he could see a doctor after they finished with him. When he was finally sent back to his cell, though, the guards were instructed only to chain the prisoner back to the ceiling.
"Leave him up," one of the guards quoted Specialist Claus as saying.
Several hours passed before an emergency room doctor finally saw Mr. Dilawar. By then he was dead."
The United States is supposed to be better than that. If you can defend that kind of behavior, then I don't know what to say to you.
Anonymous, are you going to make any real points? Care to back up any of the silly generalizations you just made with actual facts?
Annoyn:
Do you believe that the story about Mr. Hostettler is in some way untrue?
never said it was untrue... he's a prick, don't have any sympathy for him. anyone who f***s up is like that deserves alot more than they usually get. I'm not right wing or left, but i am an extremist. lots of people should be put out of my misery, i don't care what side of the aisle the are on. I just don't care much for the liberal phenomenon of finger pointing, bellyaching and the facade that they are general do-gooders because they are not... it's the liberal mindset that screwed this country up, help your neighbor? not me, let them fend for themselves. If we stopped wiping the asses of socially, intellectually and financially inept people maybe they would finally get off their fat asses and start making something of themselves. we keep helping the same people over and over that offer nothing in return... and then they tax the working man to pay for thier programs
that is the failing of the liberal mindset
You're confused anon, and your anger is completely misdirected. Why don't you ask Bush how many billions of dollars this war on Iraq has cost taxpayers so far? This war with no end in sight?
"it's the liberal mindset that screwed this country up, help your neighbor? not me, let them fend for themselves. If we stopped wiping the asses of socially, intellectually and financially inept people maybe they would finally get off their fat asses and start making something of themselves. we keep helping the same people over and over that offer nothing in return... and then they tax the working man to pay for thier programs"
Again, aside from any complete and utter selfishness those statements reflect, you're making silly generalizations. Compare the cost fo welfare fraud to white collar crime. Take a WILD GUESS as to which one is costing you as a taxpayer more money. Blaming the poor is easy and cowardly. Direct your anger at the ones who are really screwing you.
yeah, white collar crime sucks...
so does lazy ass pricks who collect money while sitting around drinking Budweiser, watching Oprah and popping out future drains on society from their well used crotches for the purpose of another benefit...
Yeah, i am selfish BUT THAT'S MY CHOICE! I fend for myself, it's MY life, I live and support myself and anyone that I am responsible for! If you can't make it on your own, that's your problem, find people within your own circle who are available to help you, but keep your hands out of my pockets. That is exactly what is happening, poor people are reaching into my pockets for my hard earned money.
and don't say everyone isn't that fortunate, bullshit, anyone can find a job, everyday i look in the paper and there are hundreds. Just because someone doesn't want to lower themselves to cleaning toilets isn't my comcern. I've done it and then i moved on, if these people are too good for that, they don't deserve to be helped.
Ya know who is really screwing us? people like you who are bleeding hearts. turn your other cheek and i'll slap that one for ya. look at the reality of lowlifes that drain the resources of our society, ...welfare, shoplifters, federal subsidization, public radio and television, support for the arts, and every other sweet thing that liberals seem to love to talk about. If you support them then YOU pay for them. Ask me if you want, but it should be my choice if i want to contribute not yours...
we've forgotten the concept of survival of the fittest in its purest form. that is what make everything work when you truly look at the basic concept. EVERYTHING is ruled by that simple statement. socialism does not work on ANY level. capitalism is the truest form of competition. You start at the beginning, the gun goes off and you run, now, make it thru life...
Anon, you sound like a truly miserable person. I feel bad for you.
You're entire post is laughable but also sad. Public radio and tv are the downfall of the country? Ummm, yeah.
You are also making the common right wing error of transferring a biological theory of survival of the fittest to a social one.
Socialism doesn't work on any level? Haha! Head in the sand, anyone? Are you familiar with a place called Europe, where socialist principles are often integrated? Right wingers use the term socialism as if it were a curse word because they are so frightened of it. I guess public schools and roads and fire departments are anathema to you as well.
I do give you credit for being honest about being totally selfish though.
Ah bruce. Yes, thank you soooo much for the geography lesson. I know that story happened in Afghanistan.
To make you feel better, here's a story about Gitmo: The AP reported that the Pentagon was not acting on FBI complaints, "including a female interrogator grabbing a detainee's genitals and bending back his thumbs, another where a prisoner was gagged with duct tape and a third where a dog was used to intimidate a detainee who later was thrown into isolation and showed signs of 'extreme psychological trauma.'"
That is not "being made uncomfortable." If you disagree, how about you volunteer to hang out there for awhile? These are people who HAVE NOT BEEN CONVICTED OR EVEN CHARGED WITH ANY CRIME.
Erinberry, you are a fool who thinks they can turn someones words around, well it won't work with me.. Public tv and radio are not the "downfall" of society...they are a useless drag on our resources that could be better served by commercial interests...
you wanna try to quote me do it right, not like all you liberals who change the words to fit your agenda.
I admit to being selfish for MYSELF... your kind of person is selfish because you want your needs served, but you want to dig in my pocket to do it
and, to defend bruce, these people were frightened by a dog, Big f'ng deal! You fail to realize that military law and public law are two different things... psychological trauma? what's the matter did they cry and wet their pants? I don't really care, these people are involved in destroying the peaceful world we are hoping to help achieve, sometimes that means killing to do it, understand that...
Some heated debate has transpired, I can see!
I appreciate diaagreement. In fact, I encourage it and think it is a healthy form of discourse. What I find distasteful, howerver, is if someone engages in name calling. Please be respectful and limit the the sarcasims towards one another. Thank you for do so.
that's the problem barb, people aren't satisfied with sticking to the facts, they always start in with personal observations about ones intelligence... I don't stop myself once i find the logical argument has been abandoned and the attacks begin...
"I don't really care, these people are involved in destroying the peaceful world we are hoping to help achieve"
Another incorrect assumption on your part. Many of these people have been charged with no crime.
"your kind of person is selfish because you want your needs served, but you want to dig in my pocket to do it"
Now there's an argument I've never heard before! LOL - My needs? Actually, I'm a Sr. Analyst at a Fortune 100 firm and am therefore fortunate enough to require no public financial services. I just recognize that as a citizen of this country, I have responsibility to help pay for infrastructure and public services. I don't hear you complaining about the hundreds of billions of dollars tax payers have had to spend on this war SO FAR - Instead you rant and rave about having to fund services like paying for some poor child's lunch.
Right-wingers are so short-sighted. Even if you look at it from a selfish perspective, it makes no sense to allow entire communities and classes of people to languish in the ghettos. Unless, of course, you're a fan of rising crime rates.
"...they are a useless drag on our resources that could be better served by commercial interests...
Oh really? Where's your proof of that? What about the kids whose parents can not afford cable tv? They don't get to be exposed to any educational programs?
Many of these people have been charged with no crime. a great example of your double talk
My needs? your needs in this case are the financila funding of social programs...
responsibility to help pay for infrastructure this is obvious
and public services. ...extraneous
Unless, of course, you're a fan of rising crime rates. no, I'm a fan of personal responsibility. people who pick themselves up and make things of themselves. not people who feel a sense of entitlement. Blame the white man/ corporate america/ slavemaster of your choice, it doesn't work.
Pubic tv and radio are media that can be better served by COMMERCIAL INTERESTS what part of that equation don't you understand? Hmm, advertisers pay the cost of running the station or we simply tax people so that we can show programs that 95% of america couldn't care less about...
What about the kids whose parents can not afford cable tv? They don't get to be exposed to any educational programs? ...wow you are a child of this century. I never had cable growing up, my masters degree didn't suffer. You really think there are magical things on PBS that these children can suddenly learn from? I thought that's why these kids go to PUBLIC schools? and if they aren't learning there, fire every teacher who is not perfoming, that is their job and if they can't do it, they don't deserve it.
...I think there would be no poverty in this world if rich, bleeding hearts such as yourself would put your money where your mouth is... (and before you start with "I donate this and that" and "you don't know what I give to..." , I don't really care,) obviously, the others like you are not. If they were, we would have no problems like the ones you care so much about. And being an enterprising young socialist, you should spend your time recruiting your bigshot buddies to do the same instead of sitting by the pool reading Money magazine...
food for thought, even though you won't listen....
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home