Rekindling and Re-connecting: A beautiful solution
As many of you know, I have been pining away with worry about my son who is traveling about the remote areas Turkey without emailing or telephoning home for the past few days. The reality is clear: I can sit here, as I have been for the last two days, sifting over each and every horrible senario in my head about what could be, an exercise in useless speculation, or I can get in touch with my fear, turn it over, and make an effort to do something to bring about a quiet mind and peaceful heart. Waking up at 4am did not help, but because of all the energy from anxiety, I hardly feel tired at all. Stangely, I feel in a state of heightened energy, even if it is clouded by doubt and worry.
So here is what I did today to take care of myself. After spending the morning working, I decided to engage in my favorite pastime: shopping. I went out, bought some clothing and other stuff, and went back on the internet. Someone from my days on an informative fragrance internet site where I was an active member, posted about staying calm and not to worry too much about my son, and began to offer her kind words of comfort. Seeing her words made me aware that I was most definitely missing the stimulation and discussion and bonds that were formed on that board. So, in an effort towards self-care, I decided to re-join again today.
I was welcomed back with kindness and a sense of care that made me feel quiet good.
Here is the question for the day: When you are feeling anxious, worrisome, or down in the dumps, what do you do to make yourself feel better? How do you exercise in self care?
Thank you for your minds.
So here is what I did today to take care of myself. After spending the morning working, I decided to engage in my favorite pastime: shopping. I went out, bought some clothing and other stuff, and went back on the internet. Someone from my days on an informative fragrance internet site where I was an active member, posted about staying calm and not to worry too much about my son, and began to offer her kind words of comfort. Seeing her words made me aware that I was most definitely missing the stimulation and discussion and bonds that were formed on that board. So, in an effort towards self-care, I decided to re-join again today.
I was welcomed back with kindness and a sense of care that made me feel quiet good.
Here is the question for the day: When you are feeling anxious, worrisome, or down in the dumps, what do you do to make yourself feel better? How do you exercise in self care?
Thank you for your minds.

12 Comments:
I dissect the feeling until I get to the root of it. Then I figure out where the feeling came from (ie what situation occured that I felt said feeling) and what I can do to dismantle it at its core.
Am I successful? Not always. Is it time consuming? Yes. Is it worth it in the end? Definately.
I do something to turn my brain off. Watch a silly movie, read brain candy books, engage in some activity that requires focus but no effort.
This usually provides my brain enough of a break to allow me to come back to my problems with a clear mind. I usually find that the stress and anxiety are much reduced when I've given my brain a rest and I'm able to come up with solutions to issues that bother me.
I'm not always successful but it works 80% of the time.
for sure
Chocolate. I had no idea that everyone didn't know that eating chocolate is the thing to do when you are nervous.
Shopping is next.
My real life is so full of constant anxiety, fears and seriousness that when I can get away I go on the net and be as much an asinine fool as I can. It feels so good to laugh once in a while.
I go for a run, a bike ride or I go to the gym. Mrs. THC goes shopping. Why is it that stress makes women want to spend money?
i do the same as you, barbara: seek out some friendly faces with whom to spend time whether in cyber or the real world
shopping is a distraction (and i may do this too) but no substitute for the ear of a good friend
Walking: a good 1/2 hour or more.
Hiking plus hot chocolate and oranges, if the weather's cold enough.
Talking to a friend.
:-) I hope he calls you soon.
Hi B! It was wonderful to see you 'back' on that fragrance board. I'm glad you made the decision to return.
In times of overwhelming stress, thoughts ricocheting around within the confines of my skull, I like to watch The Food Network. Seems silly and too easy. Somehow, all that fussing and chopping is fascinating to me! But I love to cook, I love to eat, and it's nice to lose myself in the shiny kitchens of the television cooking shows.
Shopping is always a fun diversion!
I hope your son calls soon!
Well, it depends on what the worry is about. I like to have a plan. So if it's infertility concerns, I research medical procedures, adoption laws, etc, until practically every question I have is answered. I am an obsessive researcher when it comes to that kind of thing.
If it's generalized anxiety, taking a walk is a fantastic way to ease it.
one word: solitude.
Perhaps it is a "flight" mechanism, but it seems to work, if I even go alone for 30 seconds at times that seems to work wonders for me!
MUA helped me recently when I was stressing too, they are great. :-) Another thing that helps me so much is to talk a walk int he woods. It is very rare that when I do this I do not feel peace and refeshment. I naturally start to observe what's around me when I'm in the woods, my senses come alive and I forget to be preoccupied with whatever is bothering me. Instead I am thinking "what kind of bird is that I hear? I wonder where it's coming from? What kind of plant is this? What are those tracks, where do they lead, what story do they tell? Doesn't it smell good here! Look at that dead tree, so many things are growing from it. Is that a buck rub? Are those holes made by woodpeckers? What kind of beetle is that? I wonder how old that tree is? This stone wall means this must have been a farm at one time. I wonder about the people who lived here then. There's a chipmunk. Etc etc.
Sorry if this list is boring, but to me, it's utterly absorbing to think of these things. I guess I'm easily amused!!!
I'm glad your son is ok. (saw that on Meegan's site). :-)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home