Bush Says Iraq Exit Timetable is 'Speculation'
In his usual move to avoid specific answers to questions about Iraq, Mr. Bush dismissed as speculation recent statements by senators and U.S. Generals in Iraq that the Pentagon could begin to withdraw troops by spring. Bush concluded that an exit timetable would be based solely on political and military progress. He further emphasised that leaving too soon would amount to a betrayal of Iraqi voters.
Bush concluded that a premature pullout would send a terrible message to the enemy. and would imply that as Iraquis stand up, we will stand down. We must be there to support their government.
Here are my questions to Mr. Bush, or anyone else who cares to answer: Are not the citizens of the United States of America being betrayed by this administration in fighting a war, loosing thousands of lives and spending billions of dollars? Is it more important to our country to pledge an alligence to Iraqi voters rather than American citizens? How, if at all does Iraq continue (if it ever was) to be an enemy to this country?
This article worked me up to such a lather, white foam at the mouth and all, that I could not stay silent any longer.
Thank you for your minds.
Bush concluded that a premature pullout would send a terrible message to the enemy. and would imply that as Iraquis stand up, we will stand down. We must be there to support their government.
Here are my questions to Mr. Bush, or anyone else who cares to answer: Are not the citizens of the United States of America being betrayed by this administration in fighting a war, loosing thousands of lives and spending billions of dollars? Is it more important to our country to pledge an alligence to Iraqi voters rather than American citizens? How, if at all does Iraq continue (if it ever was) to be an enemy to this country?
This article worked me up to such a lather, white foam at the mouth and all, that I could not stay silent any longer.
Thank you for your minds.

46 Comments:
Bush provokes me to use foul, foul language. I watched with unbelieving eyes his first election and words fail me concerning the second. Snake!
He is nothing to me! Nothing!
lol
Foul language from a fowl! How provocative and exciting, rooster.
I cannot bring myself to call him 'our president.'
Killing people is wrong. Period.
What did you expect to come from Bush's mouth?
niobium, Amen.
I guess I shied from the questions. It's just so WRONG! I doubt the hawks even know why they went, anymore. Just want to get the hell out and score points, as doug suggested.
My sister's only son, my nephew, is on his second tour in Baghdad, stop-lossed, and please don't bother your captain with questions about going home. My heart breaks for my sister and I dread all news from Baghdad. As I'm sure many of us do.
Pray for the children.
Those a##holes are on their own.
My cousin was just discharged from the Air Force in May, thank (enter name of favorite deity here). The whole four years he was in, I was on pins and needles. Thankfully, he never saw combat action and was kept state side for most of his time.
He did, however, spend a year in South Korea and that made me nervous as North Korea is the next sovereign nation the US will invade.
Velveteen Rabbi has a wonderful post today about the artist Amy Fagin and her work detailing genocide from the Jewish perspective. I found the artists work very, um, moving.
rooster, yes, all good thoughts to your nephew.
My only hope is that Mr. Bush can answer some of these questions I pose, because this war makes absolutely no sense to me, unless you are a Texan seeking to make your pockets larger.
cathy,
I'll check it out and do what I can.
Let me put the kugel in the oven first.
if we leave now the kurds will have a second genocide. we are fighting AL QUADA IN IRAQ i guess you all forgot who they are.
Don't mention genocide in here. Don't say NEVER AGAIN barbara unless you are racist and only think it aplies to jews.
are you all hoping America loses to the terrorists? Remember Al Quada the terrorist in Iraq do you want america to lose to al quada?
Someone said that, "all politics are based on the indifference of the majority." Maybe that is why we have Bush.
The way I look at Bush is down.
I don't see your email address listed anywhere, so I'll post it here.
The 1st porn/infidelity entry is "The Evil Hyperlink" in my June archives (6/7). I received many thought-provoking comments, so I continue the discussion the next day in "Comments Breed New Ideas".
It actually helped to change my mind on the subject to some degree... bloggers are far superior to therapists in my opinion.
Oh, I almost forgot, Bush sucks!
God help us!!
Bush stinks lolz
But you'll just say I hate America, and should blindly support my Fuerher. Sorry, not my kind of government.
Anyone who calls America "nazi or nazi like" clearly does not know what nazism was. The American Left has called 4 American presidents fascists nothing new here.
Both the US and the UK are now in a no-win situation.
yochanan, there were no Al-Qaida in Iraq before the invasion.
We know this because Saddam Hussein had any fundamentalist islamic voice eradicated over many years.
They were not welcome in Husseins Iraq.
But, since the invasion, Iraq has become a gathering point for the fundamentalist cause.
The US and the UK now have a situation which will continue in the present format for an extremely long, long time. This is not a war which can be won.
This is a Vietnam type senario, in that it is a guerrilla war on occupied territory. Like Afghanistan, which, by the way, has large amounts of territory re-occupied by the Taliban again, cannot be won by Western countries who have a culture and outlook which is deemed foreign and alien to the country`s inhabitants.
Democracy cannot be imposed.
There is, of course a way out, suggested many times, but still ignored.
The US and the UK should pull out of Iraq, under the auspices of the UN.
(Yes, the rest of the world is aware of what the US government think of the UN)
Through the UN, a handover should be made to a peace-keeping force comprising of the Arab muslim countries.
This serves several purposes.
The Iraqi people get the US and UK out, which, is what they want.
They consider themseves to be occupied, by an alien force,and not protected.
A military presence is maintained as a protecting force.
The implementation of muslim troops removes further allegations of the west trying to impose their culture, and of running an anti-muslim campaign around the world.
It is within several Middle-eastern countries interests to stem and halt the fundamentalist cause.
As a large proportion of the Middle-easteren problems were caused by the interferance of the west in the first place, any further interferance is like throwing petrol on a fire.
It`s time the west bowed out gracefully from the situation, and let muslims deal with other muslims on this one.
And if anyone wants to be really scared, I certainly am, Bush is now making serious threats towards Iran.
Iran is a whole different ball game, and you will see the middle-east explode in a fury against the US.
If Bush goes for military action against Iran, then the S**t really hits the fan.
What puzzles me is that we,as Americans,a nd as a nation, seen to have become conditioned to tolerate Bush and his vague, non-answers without recourse more than we did with any other Preesident. I just do not get it.
yochanan and doug, just noticed your cmments regarding NAZIS.
With the deepest repect intended, it would be valid to say that the term fascist is probably more appropriate in this present day context.
Fascism is, rather unfortunately, alive and well in many countries around the world, and can be incredibly seductive in the way it presents itself to the public.
There is always an enemy of the people, the enemy just changes identity depending on the country and situation. The difficult bit is stopping fascists moulding public opinion into something capable of unspeakable horror.
Like doug, I also consider Bush to have serious fascist tendencies.
How dare you? Bush is LORD!
Barb,
You almost make it sound as if the men and women fighting in Iraq were forced to go. They WILLINGLY joined the military. They knew when they joined there would be a chance for combat. A lot of them who have gone and returned from Iraq would go back.
I do not want anyone to die. And as far as GWB--I do not know what to think about him.
Amen, sister. I think this whole country is insane to tolerate his lack of accountability any more. I just currently lack the motivation to do much if anything about it, honestly. I am amazed at how many politicians nuts he has in the wringer.
...er, my apologies, LBOS.
Barbara, on tolerating Bush and his vague non-answers, and other's comments about facists. This is what scares me more than anything.
there are no mysteries here. You have all the information in front of you. Chomsky says that the more educated a person, the easier it is to control them. The political audience has become domesticated, a little bit like cats and dogs. You have lost your teeth, you have lost your will to fight. You are all easily trained. Woof.
zepellina - some very well reasoned and concise points you make. I too, worry about Iran, for both the U.S. and Israel.
Little Bar of Soap- that link is funny, and terriblly frightening at the same time.
Parisjasmal - my heart goes out to all the men, women and their families who are in the armed services, particularly those who volunterred for service in Iraq. I wish we could bring them all home safely.
Yochanan - fasicsm and Nazism are clearly distinguishable. Since the issue of anti-semitism and Nazism is a dominant thread in many of your posts, have you thought of making aliyah to Israel and help your fellow Jews?
What baffles me, and I cannot understand is why have the needs of the citizens of this country become secondary to those of those people in Iraq? Look at how this war as drained us of American lifes and money? It makes completely no sense to me at any level, except to make the rich get richer at this point. It also makes me very angry that the resources of our country must be drained for power and profit of the few.
please do not think that the war was waged for the people of Iraq. The was was waged for the elite of America. The people of America are as secondary in this equation as the people of Iraq.
anony.
I am 100 percent in agreement with you. I wish that the Democrats had the same agenda that the Republicans had against Clinton, which could be applied to this particular President.
little bar of soap, checked out the link...funny and scary too..!!
It is extremely sad to think that our American society, a society that has become so used to a time of such technological advancement that a meal can take under a minute to prepare, has becomes so impatient and callous as to think that every war and fight should take two weeks or less, or your money back. It's rediculous. Thousands of soldiers lost? Yes, a little more than 1,800 soldiers have been killed since we started this war over 2 YEARS ago. Over 60,000 soldiers were lost on the Normandy beach alone. Does that mean that those lives were lost in vain, b/c of the number? Let's get out of the Vietnam mentality once and for all. Some things are worth fighting for. Some things are worth dying for. Some things are worth digging in for until the job is done. If you're building a house, and you've gone months over your estimated time table yet it's done done yet, do you just give up and live in it as is? No, of course not! You have to build the solid foundation and make sure the building is complete before you can leave. How would history have judged America if Roosevelt withdrew his troops after '43 when it was seen that the Germans were being defeated? The job was only half done then! They had to fight almost 2 full years later in order to fully bury the Nazi regime. How would history have judged us if we had left the job half done, leaving helpless people to finish the job?
Bush is not betraying anybody by telling us the truth, as rhetorical as that might sound. Why give some arbitrary date just to calm the swell of typical American impatience? The typical leftist rhetoric being spouted on this comment site is as rediculous as they are tired and old. No link b/t Al-queda and Iraq, Saddam never had Weapons of Mass Destruction, etc, etc, etc ad nauseaum lies and misinformation. For those of us not busying ourselves watching the latest Paris Hilton video or Tom Cruise fiasco, we still are very much aware of what we're doing in Iraq, and the strategic and tactical advantages of being and staying until the job is done. For anyone not familiar with the rules of military tactics and strategy, I have some good books to refer you to. For all of Zepplina's seemingly logical spouting, s/he is nowhere near the truth. Going after Iran next would be extremely logical and strategically advantageous. I'd like to know what expertise you hold for making the statements you did.
The main problem here for all the arguing that's being done is the fact that the modern American society can't comprehend a war that isn't fought or won over the internet and can't be won as fast as the information super highway can carry it. They would rather have their i-pods and watch "The Simple Life" than being forced to think about a moral and just activity. They're too selfious for having to think about some-one else's pain. Well, except maybe for going to anti-Israel rallies and spouting off against the supposed inhumane "genocide" being committed against the poor and hapless Palestinians. Let someone else fight a war against terrorists. I need to download more music and watch the lates episode of "The O.C." C'mon, Barb. Give me a break!
-OC
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
OC
I hope you are well, and that if you fast, have an easy one.
Let me just give you a couple of personal facts, from my own perspective. You are right. Some things are worth fighting for, and this is not something that I will dispute. Bushs's daughters and my sons are the same age. I have always said, when he sends his daughters to fight a war in Iraq, I will be the first to send my son to fight as well.
That being said, if the United States or Israel were in jeopardy in any way, I myself, regardless of my age, would be the first to sign up for a war to protect either nation from being attacked by an unfriendly enenmy. Point of fact, I have talked many times about going to Israel to help the IDF with this program that allows Americans to live on Army bases. If my daughter were not ill this year, followed by my father's death and my cousins's illness, I would probably be there if I could.
Bush has concluded that America was attacked by Al Queda. He went to Afganistian, and that war, has long been forgotton. Soldiers are there, but Bin Laden still has not been captured, not is there any likelihood that he will be. There has not been any credible evidence that a nexus exists between Al Queda and Iraq from any sources. If Al Queda is responsible for 9/11, why in God's name are we not trying harder to do what is necessary to prevent any future attacks from them, as they are our enemy. One word only: oil.
My son and you are about the same age. I sent him to Israel so he would know exactly how that State and the Jewish people are in jeopardy each and every day, and he came back at the beginning of July. Israel is worth fighting for. The survival of the Jewish state is worth fighting for. The safety of the United States, when and if we are in jeopardy, is worth fighting for. The war with Iraq has nothing to do with safety here in the United States, nor the safety of our citizens. If it did, I am sure that you would not find 62 percent of Americans now believing that this war is not our business, and it is time to bring our troups home once and for all.
I don't know who anonymous is, but I think he/she has a point. Education can be a drawback... the educated, myself included, tend to consider themselves "elite" to a degree... compassionate, but sitll elite.
Didn't Orwell teach us that "if there is power, it lies within the proles." The improverished are the ones the government has no desire to control... they have no power, and they are more likely to kill each other than assassinate their senators.
And when it comes to gov't control, they put up hte hardest fight... the impoverished... the ones with little to lose... the ones who are passionate.
I think a revolution is in order. I'd like to see Bush dragged from office by hippies, the homeless, and gay people!
Ok - since I said that, Im suddenly paranoid that the FBI is gonna pay me a visit... I gotta go to my secret place now... code for climb the nearest tree, look at the stars, and remember that there is something far bigger than our bullshit government!
Every action has a reaction. If we lose in Iraq tHE reaction will be a mini Al Quada state in the sunni part of Iraq, A second genocide against the Kurds as they are known to support both America and Israel (so say the al quada thugs) and lastly a Shitte komanist state in the south. The one thing we will not get is PEACE.
Only a fool would think a Al Quada mini state would not attack American interests after they are created.
Iran will have a nuke with in 5 years. Iran a country awash in oil does not need a nuke power plant for peaceful uses. And if they are in fact going to use if for peaceful uses why did they hid it for 18 years>? The Iranians have said that Islam could survive a nuke war with Israel. They would be happy to lose millions in a Jihadist war against Israel if the end results was dead jews and no Israel. There words not mine.
Israel was at war with Iraq, least you forget that it was Israel that took out saddams plans for a nuke bomb. He also sent skuds into Israel and paid 25,000$ to each mass murder of jews. Little things you seem to have forgotten.
Both Iran & Iraq wanted nukes neither needed them for peaceful uses as both are awash in oil.
Naom Chomskey is todays leading ANTI SEMITE it does not matter that his mother was jewish he is still an hater of jews and the only jewish country.
It is a jewish minhag to make a blessing when you see a King or President. The kings of europe that we were to make this blessing were clearly not friends of the jews. But Jews believe that g-d has his hand i how things are run.
some in here seem to hate Bush more than the Islmo fascists we are at war with. Do you want America to lose just to make Bush look bad?
Yochanan,
It seems to me that making aleah to Israel might be a good idea for you so you can fight the truly good fight, and be of good service to your fellow Jews.
Yochanan,
Do you honestly think that if we WIN Iraq, that the world will be ANY MORE of a peaceful place?
B.a.D
It seems to me that making aleah to Israel might be a good idea for you so you can fight the truly good fight, and be of good service to your fellow Jews
barbara is that a leftist version of love it or leave it?
I am an American and proud of it.
b.a.d, um...yeah! But, the rest of you are right. The "Butcher of Baghdad" posed no threat whatsoever to the U.S. Right, that's logical. He had no connection with Al-queda, Hamas, or Hezbollah. Right... And, Big Foot, Santa Clause, and the Abonimable Snow-Man play poker together every Tuesday night. (If just for the fact that he's not paying $20,000 + to the families of suicide bombers, this world is already a safer place. The Kurds are safer. So, b.a.d, give me a break with that crap)
Barb, I don't know if you realized this, but the U.S. is an all VOLUNTEER Army. Therefore, Bush can't force his daughters to fight in Iraq. IF they wanted to, I don't think he would stop them. He wouldn't be allowed to, even being the Commander-in-Chief. Just the same, you cant force your kids to join, either. And, in the case you didn't want them to join, and they did and were 18 or over, you couldn't stop them. So, that excuse is also well worn and completely invalid. Also, last time I checked, Bill didn't force good ole' Chelsea to fight in Serbia or Kosovo. So, c'mon, that's the lamest excuses anyone can think of. Btw, we STILL have troops there, over 10 YEARS later.
So, c'mon, Barb. I'm surprised at you about this. I didnt think California had gotten to you that much. You're so passionately right wing about Israeli matters. Then, why is it, you're left wing when it comes to America defending itself?
-OC
P.S. Hope you're having an easy fast.
O.C.
Let me ask you a question, please. I know you are opposed to the disengagement, as are many Jews both here and in Israel. But do not for a moment think that Bush, America and Rice have not supported Sharon and this plan to try to make peace between Jews and Palestians (at least this is what Bush thinks.) How can you support a President whose very ideas are tearing at the threads of the State of Israel and ripping Jews from their homes if this is how you feel?
Yochanan,
I am very happy to hear that you are a proud American. So am I. Which is why I am so sad to see this country being run into the ground by the current administration.
Now, are you also a proud Jew? I am asking, not judging, but genuinely want to know the answer to this question. Thank you.
Doug,
Some excellent points.
Just speaking from my own experience, I have stopped trying to reason with yochanan. He sees what he wants to see, no matter what anyone writes. This is his right to have his opinion. When he strays off the topic of my posts, or becomes disrespectful, which has occurred, I have chosen to delete his posts.
His is welcome to post on this blog and air his differences. Just as a word to the wise, trying to accept him rather than reason with him may bring you more peace of mind.
Doug, you can think what you want. Btw, it's extremely insulting to say that Israel is a good place for far righters. Actually, it's just a good place for Jews, period. That would be like me saying that Canada's a good place for a leftist like you. C'mon, that's name calling right back. Also, I guess the majority of Americans are paranoid and hiding their heads in the sand to the "truth", bc 52% of America disagrees with what you have to say. By using the term fascism and using that to replace the term Nazi, b/c that too "harsh" for some people is disgusting symantics at its worst, and you obviously don't know what the term means.
Barb, as per your question, I actually am very reluctantly in favor of the disengagement. I believe that it is a very good strategic move for Israel. Do I feel that Bush and America has stabbed me in the back for supporting this without remorse? Absolutely, but I also understand what's happening. I also understand that from a logical point of view, Bush's support of it the best thing that can happen for Sharon. It paves the way for an "I told you so" in the future. Seeing it unfold from beginning to end, you can see where the tactics and strategies have played out. However, on an emotional side, it hurts. Luckily, I'm able to separate the 2. I truly and whole-heartedly believe that the Jewish people and the Jewish State will survive this and become more unified b/c of it. Also, I believe the ripping apart will also work to our advantage and is also part of the plan. Bush supports the plan, but he didn't write it, and he didn't propose it. Sharon did. I don't believe that his ideas are ripping my country apart. If anyone will rip apart this country, it will be by our hands and no-one else's. I couldn't care less about what the world and Bush says about my country. We're doing this for ourselves, b/c, as always, when it comes down to it, all the Jews have are eachother. No-one's been there for us in the past, so we'll be there for eachother now and in the future.
Finally, I think Bush is an excellent President, and you can use all the rhetoric in the world, and we can back and forth with this forever, but you won't change my mind. This has been the only President since Reagan who has had the guts to stare evil in the face, call it for what it is, and tell the world that we're coming after ya. I have plenty of proof to back my opinions; not just the same old 4 year old rhetoric that's being spewed here. I've lived through terror. I don't have time for mindless rhetoric anymore.
-OC
america is no more a fascist country than tony blairs england.
of course the left would like to say it is. same old game different day.
the real fascist was saddam so far they have found 300,000+ men, women, children and even babies in mass graves. what do facts matter any way.
bye the way barbara many of your leftist friends call israel a 'fascist state' the old ZIONISM IS RACISM = FASCISM RAP.
in fact most of the organized left hates israel as much as bush.
the poor woman who is protesting in crawford tex is contected to a group that does not think israel has a right to exist. but i doubt you would belive me anyway.
It seems as if we can all agree to disagree, and O.C., I respect your feelings and position on the issues even if I happen to disagree with you.
One thing I know we agree about, for certain, is that Israel know true peace.
Making aleah to Israel, yochanan, is a way to strengthen the government and be with people, changing the country and making a difference. It just seemed like something that you might want to do, nothing more.
barbara I am an American not an Israeli. I have already lived there. I support Israel esp against her enimies but Israel does not need 55 year old men to make aliyah. My one son is thinking about it.
I know what real fascism was most of my wife's family were butchered by them. The left could not be more wrong when it calls an america president a nazi/fascist. It is just a way to show hate.
Remember LBJ, NIXON, REAGAN AND BUSH WERE ALL CALLED NAZIS OR FASCISTS. Fidel castro calls america a nazi state but it is fidel who has murdered people for political speech. Che who some seem to have idealized was head of the cuban version of the KGB and he murdered more than 10,000+ cubans. But I guess communist terror does not matter to the left.
doug some parts of the Israeli econ are still socialist. The gov't still does somethings that would be called socialist in euroland. Example Kopat Holim (health care system)
but it does prove you don't know what you are talking about.
Every prime minister before Begin were eather socialist or social democrat. and half the prime ministers since then were as well
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home