Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Beyond Judaism 101

Most of the faithful readers of my blog know by now, that these past few weeks have been quite difficult and painful for myself and my family as a result of the illness of my daughter. As much as writing does give one an outlet for self-expression and examination, and a forum to express and to let go of the emotions, it still does not prevent the flood-gates of tears that surface, which make me wonder if property damage will result. I continue to remain hopeful with much faith in my heart.

As odd as this might seem to many of you, there has been one area of interest that has sparked my mind, and stimulated me in such a way that I have garnered interest, and a fascination to such an extent, that when deep into analysis, I seem to forget about my troubles. That subject has to do with many of the commandments and prohibitions that are found inside the Torah and the Talmud. One blogger, who shall remain nameless, has been kind enough to answer all of my questions and engage in conversation with me to such an extent that I have even experienced brief moments of senenity these past few weeks when taking about this subject. For example, a matter relating to the preparation of food was discussed, and how it could be served, and actually the factor that was most important ultimately, whether the food was eaten from a table or from the floor, was who lit the fire! Completely fascinating subject matter (and I am still waiting for the analysis as to why.)

So I will ask all of your Torah and Bible scholars to come out from behind your invisible screens and tell me about a story, prohibition or commandment that you find to be particularly interesting, and explain why you find it interesting, and why it is so according to the text.

Thank you for your minds.

30 Comments:

Blogger Y.Y. said...

barb you are right i do love your latest post
:)

5:58 PM  
Blogger Barefoot Jewess said...

With all due respect, Torah is also about many, many prescriptions as well as proscriptions. There are many more positive commandments than negative. I think that often, people get the idea that Judaism is all about stringencies and negatives, when it is not.

I think that the commandment that fascinates me most, a prescription, is..." 202 To help another unload his burden or his beast's burden, as it is written "thou shalt surely release it with him" (Exodus 23,5)". http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/p0001.htm

Metaphorically, it needs no elaboration. Though the following raises the stakes appreciably: parsha Mishpatim in the Torah says: "When you see the donkey of your enemy} collapsing beneath his load, should you abstain from helping him?! Azov ta'a'zov eemo {you must help him}. [23:5]" http://www.torah.org/learning/parsha-insights/5760/mishpatim.html

I find this mitzvah utterly fascinating. Because, where does one draw the line concerning the level of "enemy" and the level of "help"?

6:15 PM  
Blogger DAG said...

There is a great Talmudic interchange about the owner of a chicken coop. Chicken's can wander, so the question of finding a roaming chicken wasnt unusal. Who does the chicken belong to?

The Talmud says that if the chicken is within 100 Cubits (between 150-200 feet) of the coop, it belongs to the coop...if it is further, it is ownerless...

well one Rabbi asked, "what if the chicken had one leg over the line and one leg behind it?"

They kicked him out of the study hall!

Dag

nfonss.blogspot.com

6:27 PM  
Blogger DAG said...

Oh, one more thing, a fascinating concept that appears only occasionaly in the Talmud is "Kol Dalim Gvar" whoever is strongest prevails.

This case where two people have equal claims to an object states that whomever is strongest wins!

Dag

nfonss.blogspot.com

6:29 PM  
Blogger TRW said...

I certainly don't fall under the category of "scholar," but I'll present to you my mind. I came across this one while doing research, so it's sorta like I'm working on my paper (right?)

In Shulchan Orech (the code of Jewish law), Yoreh Dayah, halacha 271, there's a discussion by the Taz (known by the name of his book, Turei Zahav) about the halachic implications of the printing press. He lived in the 1500s, and with the invention of moveable type and the spread of printing. The new press raised a halachic question. What was the status of printed books? Did printed books with holy texts have the same holiness (meaning you can't put them on the floor, have to treat them with respect) as manuscripts? There's a whole discussion on it, but he ends up saying, not that they are equal, but that they have holiness and one should be careful with them.

The reason that this was so fascinating to me was because it showed how halacha applies to every aspect of life. Just as there is a Machon L'Technelogia in Israel today, which examines technology in relationship to halacha, when the printing press was invented, the rabbis of the time examined it to see how it would fit with Jewish law.

(Best wishes to your daughter-I'm still praying for her!)

7:34 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

These comments are extraordinary! I do not know where to begin!

BJ- absoultey you are correct in pointing out the value and number of positive over negative commandments.

DAG- I am fascinated by this example of the chicken and the coop. What happens to the chicken if it is ownerless? Is it up for grabs?

TRW- excellent comment. I never thought of a book as being more holy than the other. If any book has the name of God in it and it touches the floor, I kiss it no matter what, with the understanding that this alone makes it holy. Better to be safe than sorry.

Keep these coming please! I am enjoying the commentaries very much.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Barbara,

It is well past midnight and I need to get to sleep, but I wanted to mention that I find Pirkei Avot fascinating.

I also enjoy learning Kohellet, although I find old King Shlomo to be somewhat insufferable.

I'll try to come back later and elaborate, just wanted to participate a little.

12:42 AM  
Blogger TRW said...

Jack:

I just started learning Pirke Avos over in depth and I have to agree with you. :)

It's said about King Shlomo that he wrote:

Shir Hashirim in his youth,
Mishle in his middle years, and Koheles toward the end of his life.

With that in mind, it's interesting to look at the differences.
The first is bursting with emotion,
the second is the wisdom of experience,
and the third is a view of life from one who's almost finished it.

When you're on the brink of daeth and eternity, you tend to view the physical world in a different way than when you were young and excited.

3:26 AM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

Hi, No scholar here, actually never made it to Yeshiva Gedolah, but I try to learn every day.
While some commandments have a rationale to them, it's important to realize that those who do not are equally valid and important.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Niobium said...

I wish I could participate in this discussion. As a Pagan I don't have a book with rules to follow, thus, I cannot tell you my favorite story from said book--it doesn't exist.

5:22 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Pragmatician says that those comments without a rationale are equally valid and important. This may be the case, but from what I know about the Torah and Jewish learning, answer can ever completely be without a question. Whether it is answered in any satisfactory way is a separate issue. Am I correct, or missing something? Please tell me.

6:28 AM  
Blogger DAG said...

Barb, with an ownerless chicken, or "Hefker" in Hebrew/Aramaic, anyone can take it. The first to aquire it gets to keep it.

Dag

nfonss.blogspot.com

6:55 AM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

TRW,

The problem I have with Kohellet is that when you are the king and you have lived a life of privilege it is very easy to make these comments .

When you work for a living life is far different and there is something of value gained from the merit of your labors as opposed to the luck of who you are born too.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

Hi Barbara I don't completely understand your question in reply to my comment.
Could you clarify??
Thanks

8:33 AM  
Blogger Niobium said...

dag: sounds like "finders keepers" to me.

9:08 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Prag.

I can see your confusion, as there is a typo in my comment. What I meant to say was, that for every answer, there is always another question inside the realm of Jewish thinking. Whether the answer is satisfactory or not is a separate issue. Is that clearer?

sunyata, what beautiful words indeed. I encourage as many diverse comments as possible.

As I am getting older, it makes more sense to me, why people become more immersed inside Torah and study, especially in times of difficulties. There is something magical & healing, that makes one take his/her mind away from an immediate problem.

9:44 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

It is truly the case that these posts have brought some tranquility to me today. I have not cried all day, so far today.

In trying to make sense of it, another blogger tells me that the commandments of God are rightous and joys of the heart. Moreover, to study them can bring about a state of inner peace.

11:34 AM  
Blogger DAG said...

Niobium:

It is finders keepers...BUT only on articles that are ownerless..objects that have owners MUST be returned

12:28 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Barefoot Jewess indicates that this prescription fascinates her the most:

202 To help another unload his burden or his beast's burden, as it is written "thou shalt surely release it with him" (Exodus 23,5)".

I am reading it, and I would like to know how is it, according to Torah that one helps another to unload his burden or his beast's burden? Is it by action, by words, by reference to self, or others?

Thank you barefoot...I have been reading these positive commandments today as well.

12:33 PM  
Blogger DAG said...

BTW, Barb, that Talmudic story is my favorite, Because I always saw myself as that guy who asked the question!

Dag

nfonss.blogspot.com

1:28 PM  
Blogger TLP said...

I'll have to lurk this one out.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Y.Y. said...

bava kama chapter 8
R’ chanina said the reward is greater for a person that god commanded to do his will (a Jew)
Then for a person that god did not command (nonjew) but does his will by his own choice
The commentators explain that the reason for the greater reward is because since a person was commanded by god to do mitzvot Satan works on him not to do gods will so if he does eventually mitzvoth his reward is greater then the non Jew that has no Satan trying to persuade him not to do gods wishes

5:16 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

YY,
This is an intersting commentary, but what is it about this particular prescription that you like and why is it important to you?

6:01 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

WEll, I am not Jewish and this is all Greek to me. I love the parable of the new testament. The stories of Jesus Christ. Good luck in your studies. I commend you for wanting to know more. Good luck, Barb.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Y.Y. said...

barb as i told you that whatever i will study today i will post if i like it or not
good night

7:08 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Happy Almost B-day! 14!!!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

Barbara, Oh yes now I know what you mean.
It's sort of an 'inside' joke, but there is some truth to it too.
Every question (should be) is a valid one, even if it's the answer that is questioned.
In the Talmud it works very much like that
Questions-Answer-Question on the answer etc...

2:00 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Barbara, I just read about your daughter and I am SO very sorry. I can't even imagine and don't want to. For me, the hardest part would be trying to stay strong in front of her. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Meegan said...

Hi Barbara,
I just read your post above this one, and can't add comments there, but I just want to tell you again that you and your daughter are, and have been, in my thoughts. I am so sorry that you are going through such a difficult time. I can't imagine what you are feeling.
xo, meegan

11:27 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

This is a most interesting post/comment session. I only wish I could contribute somehow but I fall way short on knowledge and wisdom. I've very much enjoyed reading along.

On a personal note, Barb ... no words are enough words or the right words to say regarding the current situation with your daughter. I have a sense that you do know we all care and are concerned and hopeful for you. Somehow, I hope that helps.

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home