Tuesday, November 01, 2005

November 1st: A Time for Beginnings

As I woke up this morning, at 5:25 am, the darkness of the sky was present. Convinced that I was not going to let that state of the morning color my world, I laid in bed (something that is almost never done) and thought about the day. November 1st. A new month, a new beginning, ideas of hope and promise springing forward, positive moments, all these thoughts as the power of the light begins to burst its way into the day.

Today, we have a new Supreme Court Justice who was selected by Bush (Alito), the wrappers from the trick-or-treaters are laid out over my front grass, the stock market will open with a gain, Bush will make an attempt to recover from two weeks of a downward spiral, plummetting his approval ratings to about 39 percent, and the sun seems to be making its way into the sky.

What else can be said about today? I will go to visit my daughter, with the hopes that I find her in a better state than yesterday, my son starts a new job today in Hawaii, I need to finish a reply brief in the afternoon, I finished reading Memories of My Meloncoly Whores by my literary hero, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and I promised someone I would do something for her. Last night, I gave all of my credit cards to my husband, knowing that in times of stress there is great temptation for me to buy something that I do not need.

Today may or may not be the day that I want it to be. But it is a new day, one I have not lived before. If I can learn, be of much service and value to others as possible, and put my best foot foward in whatever I do, then the day will turn out exactly as it is supposed to be, with the fruits and bearings of my efforts finding their own way inside of the seams.

Thank you for your minds.

18 Comments:

Blogger The Absent Minded Housewife said...

Have a nice day! And that's one of the few times you can say that with sincerity!

6:24 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

The last paragraph was just beautiful. I love your attitude. I hope your daughter is doing better.

I am pretty upset about Alito, myself. I was hoping for a moderate like O'Connor.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Sometimes the day is what we make it to be, or so I try to teach my children.

Best wishes to your daughter.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I will never relinquish my credit cards. Well, I don't have to, since they're only mine.

I'd say ANYthing is better than Bush's last candidate. But it will be very interesting to see what they dig up!

12:07 PM  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

I hope your day is wonderful. You made a neat sketch of it. You seem to be in a very productive mood, though you're overwhelmed. I have that problem too of spending when all else seems 'a muddle. Affluenza. You have so much to do! I suppose that is mothering for you. God bless you mothers. Don't tire yourself out.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Scott W said...

...and acceptance is the key...

12:39 PM  
Blogger TLP said...

Hope the day is going the way you had hoped.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Lila said...

Sounds like you have a great attitude!

2:41 PM  
Blogger GodlessMom said...

"If I can learn, be of much service and value to others as possible, and put my best foot foward in whatever I do, then the day will turn out exactly as it is supposed to be, with the fruits and bearings of my efforts finding their own way inside of the seams."

Beautifully put. A deep breath and our best foot forward!

4:04 PM  
Blogger Jillian said...

First time visitor. I believe all days are good days....just some are better than others!!!

Love your blog, I will come back.

4:09 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Thank you all for your words.

I always say that it is more often than not that one's own words come back to haunt her, or at least remind her of what we are able to do in this lifetime and what we cannot.

My visit today, did not make me feel better, and my daughter is not improving, and the day has been one of many tears. But as Godless mom reminds me, I went, brought groceries, took care of some business, did my part, and let go of the rest, as painful as that was. I suppose, to that extent, the day went as planned, but not with the result I wanted, which is not something that I or anyone can effect for that matter.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Meegan said...

Barbara, what a beautiful post. I am sorry to read your comment, though. I am hoping for the best for you and your daughter.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Hope your day went well. It sounds like you have a lot to do. Hopefully November will be a better month for you. Think about thanksgiving and all the things that you are blessed with. In other words, "Count your Blessings" and see what God has done.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Sorry the day was not better. Just remember to breathe and to look to tomorrow. It is another day with the potential to be better than today was. Hang in there.

9:46 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Today is a new day. I am awake, the light is present. I will try to stay out of fear, and do as best as I can.

I truly appreciate all of these kind words. Thank you so very, very much.

6:33 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

It was my idea to give my husband all my credit cards, not his.
When I am stressed, I tend to spend more money. It is actually a decision I made towards self care rather than self destruction.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Thanks Barb for this blog...Your truly a treasure to us ALL....Only sending the best to your Daughter!!

Have a great day!!!

10:11 AM  
Blogger ISLAND MONKEY said...

You can get through this upheaval. You seem to have a very good relationship with your daughter - which in itself - is a cause for celebration...

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home