Justifying "Bad Behavior"
Have you even noticed that there are times when a person is behaving poorly, yet makes an effort to justify his/her behavior by comparing it to that of someone else? Ultmately, the conclusion reached is that the person who is behaving poorly deems that his/her behavior is not so when compared to that of another person. In other words, certain behaviors are immune from being defined as 'bad' by comparision to someone else's method of conduct.
Here is what I mean. Each and every one of us, no matter how pious, forthright, or devoted we are to ourselves or others at some time in our lives behave badly. Such behavior can take many forms from something small, like failing to say thank you, to speaking abusively to our spouse or child, or to infidelity, an ultimate betrayal to one's spouse and oneself. Nevertheless, it can, and often is said that one's behavior is not so bad as another's behavior since it is being compared to someone or something else.
For example, Judaism is a rich, complex, beautiful religion with many commandments and prohibitions. Those who follow the strictest rules, which is quite difficult, at times see themselves participating in poor behavior. Here is an example, which is in no way meant to be offensive nor steoro-type Orthodox Jews. This is just something that I experiences when I was a new attorney and remember it very specifically.
I was selected to represent a young female child who was from an Orthodox Jewish home. She had symptoms of gonoreah present. The family showed up to court, with all their Rabbis, and support networks, the mother very frightened, the child even more so. Since I was Jewish, the Judge felt it would be best for me to represent the child in this case, which turned out to be emotionally one of the most difficult ones of my legal careers. As investigation was underway, it turned out that the father, who was a pious man, had been sleeping with prostitutes. He had not molested his child, and there was no medical evidence of such acts, but she had slept in the same bed in close proximity with him and the mother. I was horrified and came home crying when I had to deal with this case, which made me loose sleep, and question the most religious among my own people. Here was a man who was so interested in the intricacies of the Talmud that he forgot the top ten, specifically the one about adultery. His child was removed from his and the mother's care, and the man had to go to jail. Eventually, the family reunited, but meanwhile, at a very high price. All along, the father, his Rabbis and relatives were talking about what a pious man this father was.
Today, I have been thinking about this story as I was involved in a discussion with someone who was making an attempt to justify his own poor behavior by concluding and claiming that I was not a good Jew. (since I am not orthodox.) How often do we see others judging and/or condmening someone else because they behave differently, or believe in a way that is not in tune to one's own thinking? There are acts which in and of themselves, depending upon the circumstances constitute 'bad behavior.'
Bad behavior cannot, in my humble opinion, be made better nor tested by someone else's perception of reality by comparing one act to another. Ultimately, bad behavior is just that, and an attempt to justify it for one's own purposes does not make the conduct become automatically good.
Thank you for your minds.
Here is what I mean. Each and every one of us, no matter how pious, forthright, or devoted we are to ourselves or others at some time in our lives behave badly. Such behavior can take many forms from something small, like failing to say thank you, to speaking abusively to our spouse or child, or to infidelity, an ultimate betrayal to one's spouse and oneself. Nevertheless, it can, and often is said that one's behavior is not so bad as another's behavior since it is being compared to someone or something else.
For example, Judaism is a rich, complex, beautiful religion with many commandments and prohibitions. Those who follow the strictest rules, which is quite difficult, at times see themselves participating in poor behavior. Here is an example, which is in no way meant to be offensive nor steoro-type Orthodox Jews. This is just something that I experiences when I was a new attorney and remember it very specifically.
I was selected to represent a young female child who was from an Orthodox Jewish home. She had symptoms of gonoreah present. The family showed up to court, with all their Rabbis, and support networks, the mother very frightened, the child even more so. Since I was Jewish, the Judge felt it would be best for me to represent the child in this case, which turned out to be emotionally one of the most difficult ones of my legal careers. As investigation was underway, it turned out that the father, who was a pious man, had been sleeping with prostitutes. He had not molested his child, and there was no medical evidence of such acts, but she had slept in the same bed in close proximity with him and the mother. I was horrified and came home crying when I had to deal with this case, which made me loose sleep, and question the most religious among my own people. Here was a man who was so interested in the intricacies of the Talmud that he forgot the top ten, specifically the one about adultery. His child was removed from his and the mother's care, and the man had to go to jail. Eventually, the family reunited, but meanwhile, at a very high price. All along, the father, his Rabbis and relatives were talking about what a pious man this father was.
Today, I have been thinking about this story as I was involved in a discussion with someone who was making an attempt to justify his own poor behavior by concluding and claiming that I was not a good Jew. (since I am not orthodox.) How often do we see others judging and/or condmening someone else because they behave differently, or believe in a way that is not in tune to one's own thinking? There are acts which in and of themselves, depending upon the circumstances constitute 'bad behavior.'
Bad behavior cannot, in my humble opinion, be made better nor tested by someone else's perception of reality by comparing one act to another. Ultimately, bad behavior is just that, and an attempt to justify it for one's own purposes does not make the conduct become automatically good.
Thank you for your minds.

26 Comments:
Rationalization is rationalization. Sadly, some people confuse it with "rational thinking". Not the same at all
The daughter with the Gonnorhea? I am really suspect of the Father in that case. It is very difficult to transmit without sharing body fluids
Excellent post, thank you! I think people fall into this because they are insecure. My mother used to tell me that others only point out the flaws they already see in themselves and want desperately to hide.
How sad about the little girl. :(
Your point is well-made, Barbara. Don't ever let anyone make you feel as if you are not a good enough Jew just because you are non-frum.
I have frum Jews in my family and the snub their noses at the rest of us. It is rude. And they are hypocrites in many aspects of their lives that I am aware of (and probably many I am not aware of). I am not saying that all Orthodox are this way, I am just relaying my experiences in my own extended family.
Frum men going to prostitutes is no secret. My rabbi and I were discussing this very thing this past weekend, actually.
Yes, it is all about rationalization, mallory, you are correct. As for the facts of the case, there was apparently some close contact between the father and daughter, but no physical findings of sexual abuse.
I agree with you pc about people being insecure.
Stacey, no one can affect my security as a Jew. In fact, I consider myself a good Jew, and am confident about that even though I am not frum. The issue of men cheating and seeing prostitutes, violating one of the sacred commandments, on the one hand, and observing the intricate commandments and prohibitions has baffled me since I had this case. The issue only surfaced when someone was trying to tell me that I was not a good Jew because I am not frum.
Being a good Jew and being a good person may in fact be distinguishable, but to me, one can be both, and not be frum. One can be both and be frum, and one can be a good Jew, be frum, and be a bitter, and not so nice person, or husband. People come in all shapes and sizes, as do the paradoxes.
How horrible. The actions of one person have ruined so many lives.
Hey, I'm from Utah. This subject was present for most of my childhood because my parents were inactive mormons and didn't attend church. It didn't matter that they were good people, all that mattered is that they stayed home on Sunday. Most of these folks copped a superior attitude despite their intentions because they spent two hours in a building once a week. Please...
The owner of the costume shop I used to manage had an awful temper and used a lot of foul language directed at whoever was closest when he was in a snit. I mean really profane and sexual in nature. He donated many of his old suits to the shop. Going through the pockets I found his mormon temple recommend. (A document that is given to you when a bishop deems you worthy and in keeping with doctrine to enter the temple.) The next week I was the blameless target of his snit. I sat there taking it until he ran out of breath. Then I handed him his recommend and told him I'd found it in the pocket of his suit. God...that felt amazing. He often reminded us how important his church activities were to him.
That poor young woman. I feel even worse for that man's wife.
That poor girl. Thank you for helping her.
I think all of you have brought some humanism to this post.
Becky is correct that this type of violation impacts greatly upon the family. In my line of work, I deal with physical and sexual abuse often. In the particular case I cited to you, it made an impact on me because it brought out the contridictions that exist inside of one's religion enveloped inside a prison of denial. The mother did not want to believe her husband was unfaithful, and had infected his daughter, the community did not want to support this family, but sided with the father, and the child's interests were represented by me, which was very difficult.
My point in this post is not to single out all ultra-religious people as being abusers, adulters or offenders. The point I am making is that sometimes when people go to extremes in thinking, they also go in extremes in their actions, and justify these types of behaviors with their own sense of reality as a barometer.
Great post Barbara,, thanks for dropping a note to me on my blog,, I have missed reading your blog as well as writing my own lately,,
This post makes me want to stand in a corner and meditate on my own personal conduct. I have been a naughty boy sometimes,, and know it fully well, the difference is I tend to admit it and accept my responsibility for my actions, words, thoughts and deeds. It sometimes is a hard row to hoe. The rationalization of our less than good acts is as bad as many of the acts themselves!! We should be more honest with ourselves and unmask our secret desires to cast out our bad behavior by justifications. My mother told me once that the Devil made me do bad things, and I remarked back to her,, "no, I did it myself" that was shockingly blasphemous to her, but for me, it made me own up to the responsibility that I am the one making the choices I make, Neither god nor the devil have much to do with my decisions or the actions I take, they are my responsibility alone.
Great thought provoking post.
Sad case you had to deal with too,,
cubanita, yy, kvetch, and anyone in this group, I will delete your comments if they are bitter, hateful, mean, or disparaging. If you disagree with what I say, you can comment nicely, with politeness, and not be a person filled with bitterness and hatred, OR just say nothing.
Someone who posts at 4:54 am and says that he is not a Jew is suspect in my book.
WHEW! Here was a man who was so interested in the intricacies of the Talmud that he forgot the top ten, specifically the one about adultery. He never forgot. He just felt that he was above that.
And I absolutely abhor people who do the self-justifying rationalization of "My sin is better than yours." I see it all the time and that's when I say "let's deal with one problem at a time. First we'll address what you did wrong, and then we'll address what they did wrong."
dating master,
Thank you for your intelligent comment. I am aware that Jewish men have relied on this distinction between having sex with a married v. unmarried woman to define whether they have committed adultry or not.
But let me ask you this: Using a humanistic approach, and thinking about one's family, one's spouse, and one's community, do you truly believe that having sex outside of marriage, whether technically within the halachaic definition of adultry matters?
Your text and issues are very interesting and well written! But my "poor English" don't allow me to make a proper comment.
Last but not least, thank you so much for your nice comment on my page!
i totaly agree with dating master
Oh, what a sad story. It must have been so difficult for you to handle that case. Have you seen the documentary "Capturing the Friedmans?" If not, run out and rent it NOW. It raises similar questions and should be especially interesting to a trial attorney.
I too find "Well, at least my sin wasn't as bad as XXX" as annoying as, "Well, your daughter may be ill but at least she's not dead." Both types of comments are meant only to comfort the person saying them, not the person/people to whom they're speaking.
Excuses, excuses, excuses. Ultimately it doesn't matter what your motive was, it matters what you DID. That's what you're responsible for, and that's what you need to atone for when you've broken your own code of ethics, whether that code was internalized from a particular set of religious doctrines or cobbled together on your own.
Thank you for your comments.
This case happened about ten years ago, and was sad, as are many of my cases.
My point, most of you got regarding justifying bad behavior. One person contends that my post is inaccurate because the behavior I describe does not contsitute adultry according to Jewish law. He went further to tell me that I was not a Jew but a heritic (even though technically since my mother is a Jew, I am a Jew.)
As you can see, so many people become consumed in the small points that they forget the impact that their conduct or words have on others as human beings. They do not care if their own behaivor is poor, or if they insult and berate others or their families.
Dating master, I thank you for your comment, since you were sensitive to the definition, according to Jewish law, and the humanistic issues, without being insulting.
sonia, thank you for the compliment and feel free to comment in whatever English you desire. I love the pictures on your blog.
WW- interesting observations, as always.
BJG,
I thank you for your comments, and your words regarding the sage's position on this delicate issue.
I also appreciate your kind words, and I thank you very much.
[u][b]Xrumer[/b][/u]
[b]Xrumer SEO Professionals
As Xrumer experts, we from been using [url=http://www.xrumer-seo.com]Xrumer[/url] fitted a sustained fix conditions and remember how to harness the titanic power of Xrumer and adapt it into a Spondulix machine.
We also purvey the cheapest prices on the market. Diverse competitors see fit cost 2x or square 3x and a a pile of the opportunity 5x what we pervade you. But we feel in providing gigantic service at a small affordable rate. The whole point of purchasing Xrumer blasts is because it is a cheaper substitute to buying Xrumer. So we aim to support that thought in rebuke and outfit you with the cheapest rate possible.
Not simply do we take the best prices but our turnaround in the good old days b simultaneously after your Xrumer posting is super fast. We drive secure your posting done to come you discern it.
We also cater you with a full log of loaded posts on contrasting forums. So that you can get the idea also in behalf of yourself the power of Xrumer and how we get harnessed it to emoluments your site.[/b]
[b]Search Engine Optimization
Using Xrumer you can think to see thousands upon thousands of backlinks in behalf of your site. Many of the forums that your Install you force be posted on bear acute PageRank. Having your link on these sites can deep down mitigate build up some top rank recoil from links and really riding-boot your Alexa Rating and Google PageRank rating through the roof.
This is making your site more and more popular. And with this inflate in reputation as grammatically as PageRank you can keep in view to appreciate your area in effect superiority gamy in those Search Locomotive Results.
Transport
The amount of see trade that can be obtained nearby harnessing the power of Xrumer is enormous. You are publishing your locality to tens of thousands of forums. With our higher packages you may even be publishing your locale to HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of forums. Imagine 1 mail on a all the rage forum will usually rig out 1000 or so views, with announce ' 100 of those people visiting your site. At once create tens of thousands of posts on in demand forums all getting 1000 views each. Your shipping liking withdraw sometimes non-standard due to the roof.
These are all targeted visitors that are interested or singular in the matter of your site. Deem how assorted sales or leads you can execute with this titanic figure up of targeted visitors. You are truly stumbling upon a goldmine friendly to be picked and profited from.
Reminisce over, Shipping is Money.
[/b]
GET YOUR CHEAPLY ERUPTION TODAY:
http://www.xrumer-seo.com
[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
No More Crawling Downloads With NZB Files You Can Easily Find High Quality Movies, Console Games, MP3s, Applications & Download Them @ Rapid Speeds
[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]NZB[/B][/URL]
[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Forget Idle Downloads Using NZB Files You Can Hastily Find High Quality Movies, Console Games, MP3 Albums, Applications & Download Them at Alarming Rates
[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]NZB[/B][/URL]
[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Skip Laggin Downloads Using NZB Downloads You Can Rapidly Find HD Movies, Games, MP3 Singles, Applications & Download Them at Electric Speeds
[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Usenet[/B][/URL]
Predilection casinos? validate this childlike [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com]casino[/url] handle and miss one's footing into b presume up online casino games like slots, blackjack, roulette, baccarat and more at www.realcazinoz.com .
you can also combine upward of our untrained [url=http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com]casino[/url] resign at http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com and be beneficiary to in proper folding shin-plasters !
another unsurpassed [url=http://www.ttittancasino.com]casino spiele[/url] conspire is www.ttittancasino.com , in complete in on loam german gamblers, accept diggings manumitted online casino bonus.
[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]online wetter[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]famous bed wetter[b][/url]
[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html]deutscher wetter[/url]
[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html]paul wetter[/url]
Dear Alyce,
For long time I use this free software: [url=http://www.freeflvtomp3converter.com]FLV to MP3 free converter[/url].
FLV to MP3 free converter is a free YouTube, MegaVideo, FunnyJunk and similar video sites to MP3 Converter and allows you to convert a video to MP3 file.
This software is fast, free, and requires no signup. All you need is a FLV Video file, and this software will extract the MP3, and give you an audio file.
So you are able to listen to your favorite YouTube tracks on every MP3 player.
You can download it for free at [url=http://www.freeflvtomp3converter.com]www.freeflvtomp3converter.com[/url].
This may be useful to you.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home