Cheney's Shooting of A Man and His Lack of Response
When I first heard about the incident involving Dick Cheney's shooting of a wealthy man from Texas while they were quail shooting, I questioned the quick inference that such an event was concluded as accidental without investigation. As time went on, we learned that 24 hours passed before Mr. Cheney publicly disclosed such a shooting, and the man, who went hunting with Dick, was hospitalized as a result.
Many late night comedians, including myself, made light and fun of this event, some having a field day with it, as it seemed to be another surreal moment in the chain of misfortunes that have plagued the Bush administration. In fact, shamefully, I must say, that thinking and writing about Cheny and "Quail-Gate" actually took my mind off of loosing my beloved Astro, and gave me a few moments of laughter, and quelched by own tears thorough-out the day.
But the more we look at this event, it is politically and personally no laughing matter. A man was shot, hospitalized, and suffered a mild heart attack. Cheney in turn, failed to report this shooting for 24 hours. Moreover, Mr. Cheney did not pay the $7 feel necessary to hunt quail on the property (a licensing requirement) and instead of being charged a crime, he received a warning.
The fact that Cheney has failed to appear publicly, issue any kind of statement or apology makes one wonder about the aloofness of this man and the entire Bush admininstration, and the fact that this is just another area where thoughts of grandiosity and conclusions that they are above the law loom large. Look at Katrina, how Cheney did not even stay anything for over a week, Iraq, and now the justification of the spy program. Can you imagine if a common citizen, or even any Democrat, reacted like this? The public and political outlashing would be tremendous. I can tell you, failure to pay for a fishing license, and fish, in California is a misdemeanor, and can result to up to six months in jail.
Why do we, as Americans, keep tolerating this kind of behavior from our government, and allowing it to continue day, by day?
Thank you for your minds.
Many late night comedians, including myself, made light and fun of this event, some having a field day with it, as it seemed to be another surreal moment in the chain of misfortunes that have plagued the Bush administration. In fact, shamefully, I must say, that thinking and writing about Cheny and "Quail-Gate" actually took my mind off of loosing my beloved Astro, and gave me a few moments of laughter, and quelched by own tears thorough-out the day.
But the more we look at this event, it is politically and personally no laughing matter. A man was shot, hospitalized, and suffered a mild heart attack. Cheney in turn, failed to report this shooting for 24 hours. Moreover, Mr. Cheney did not pay the $7 feel necessary to hunt quail on the property (a licensing requirement) and instead of being charged a crime, he received a warning.
The fact that Cheney has failed to appear publicly, issue any kind of statement or apology makes one wonder about the aloofness of this man and the entire Bush admininstration, and the fact that this is just another area where thoughts of grandiosity and conclusions that they are above the law loom large. Look at Katrina, how Cheney did not even stay anything for over a week, Iraq, and now the justification of the spy program. Can you imagine if a common citizen, or even any Democrat, reacted like this? The public and political outlashing would be tremendous. I can tell you, failure to pay for a fishing license, and fish, in California is a misdemeanor, and can result to up to six months in jail.
Why do we, as Americans, keep tolerating this kind of behavior from our government, and allowing it to continue day, by day?
Thank you for your minds.

18 Comments:
I can't speak to why we continue to tolerate the current administration - because I don't. I have nothing nice to say about them, and consequently try to bite my tongue. Maybe that’s the problem... I’m not speaking up and saying just how deeply disappointed I am in the entire span of the last six years, and the dread I have of the next two.
If anything good can come from this event, it is that through all the points you made, and others I have read elsewhere, that hopefully more people in our country will take notice at the lack of integrity, ethics, honesty, and honor that plagues our current administration... as if it weren't already painfully obvious.
IMHO, the incident itself wasn't a crime, but merely a terrible accident (perhaps, I suppose, an argument could be made for negligence, once all of the facts are out).
However, the behavior afterward is indicative of this administration's arrogance and above-the-rest-of-us attributes that are so entirely disgusting and foul (no pun intended!).
Let's not spend an incredible amount of effort on the actual incident, but rather, leverage this as cause to protest the deplorable performance of this regime. If we don't do so, we risk enabling ourselves to become distracted from the bigger issues, which is exactly what they want, anyway.
Facts Against Bush
Well said, groovinjim.
I for one find it hilarious when the radio stations play Aerosmith's "Janie's Got a Gun" because it really DOES sound like "Cheney's Got a Gun." But then again I am emotionally immature.
It's a shame that the entire Bush administration seems to subscribe to the ignore-it-and-it-will-go-away philosophy. Never underestimate the power of a prompt and sincere apology. It worked for Jude Law.
americans turned communist
It "worked" for me, too, WW. Just ask my ex! :-()
Seriously, the real shame is that these guys are not apologetic, at all, and haven't been since the beginning.
I agree entirely with your assessment of the situation. I find it amazing that an attempted homicide investigation hasn't been opened. Now, do I think he was really trying to kill the guy? I think it's unlikely. But, I do think he is not entitled to any more privileges than anyone else is, and therefore the investigation needs to be pursued.
Interesting issue here and leads to the importance of Blogs in this day and age.We make a difference.
It connects voices and concerns... ~~~~~~*Cyber Solidarity*~~~~~~~
Thanks for sharing~
Tab
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This story reminds me of the script of a bad movie (enemy of the state!)
I think any politician who shoots innocent birds as pastime, is suspicious.
I probably watch too much TV but I assume that before going public he had to discus the incident with several people and compose an apologetic text to be recited in front of the media, hence ethe delay.
Hi B-
I am from the South...shootings like this happen ALL THE TIME. Seriously. It is like one of the hazards of hunting. Most my male relatives in Oklahoma hunt, and most of them have injuries from hunting trips. It is really not considered out of the ordinary.
I do not think this shooting, or the lack of telling America about it was in any way political. I am sure Dick and the family of the man he shot were in shock and in pain so maybe they just needed some time.
I personally do not concern myself any more with what Presidents or Vice Presidents do in their spare time....well except Bill Clinton--his spare time escapades were at least interesting and entertaining. And at least Dick did not lie under oath about this.
I love Bill, but hey let's call tit for tat (no pun intended).
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
To be clear--
Please do not think I am defending Dick--I am not. I just do not expect much of Dick or GW or any of them.
I think that all along we should have been more informed--about MANY things. Our family members are in Iraq, Afganistan, etc fighting a war, and GW has never really given us a complete explanation. I feel like he should be checking in with us monthly just to let us know what is going on-- reassure us a little..but he doesn't, and he won't.
I am just very disenchanted with the whole thing, and my expectations have become very low.
I am waiting for the day that Obama becomes President, then maybe my faith will be renewed in politics.
Great comments.
Welcome groovinJim...You raise some great issues here.
Apparently Cheney finally spoke out! Let us see what he had to say.
I agree it is not the incident that is in question, but the way this administration handles matters in a way that makes one think cover-up, or that they are above the law in some way. Such aloofness makes my skin crawl.
This ranks rather low on the things the administration has done that cause me any concern.
What about all the other things that Cheney and his butt buddy Georgie have done?
I really don't see an issue here. Mr. Armstrong was taken to the hospital immediately, the police were notified within an hour and they decided to interview him a day later. The media was annoyed that they weren't notifed immediately. The newspaper in Corpus Christi broke the story and that made the National media furious. There were witnesses to the accident and they all said it was an accident. I just don't get all the hoopla about this.
Dear Mr. Vice President:
Just so you know -- the quail is the one with the feathers.
Hope this helps.
Dear Mr. Vice President:
Just so you know -- the quail is the one with the feathers.
Hope this helps.
Barb..
You have fallen into the trap of the media..making something of nothing. Read David Brooks Op-ed in the New York Times this past Thursday.
It was a damn accident. Get a grip.
I'm not a big Bush fan..but this response leaves me shaking my head
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home