Holocaust Remembrance Day: Why It is Important for 2006
EDITED:
Today is a special day in more ways than one. For one, April 23rd marks the one year anniversary of the beginning of this blog. Although time consuming, blogging has been a blessing in that it has allowed me to express some of my deepest, most provocative thoughts, while at the same time, receiving feedback, and meeting some very interesting people while in the process of doing so. Today is also one in which there is a special ceremony and commeroration observing Yom HaShoah, or Holocaust Remembrance Day which takes place officially on April 25,2006.
Since many of you can see that I have been attacked by some unpleasant people on my blog, I have, taken the advice of a fellow blogger, and enabled the comments, which means that I must approve them before they are posted. I am sorry if this is an inconvenience to some, but these steps were necessary in light of the events that transpired below. Moreover, I want others to comment on Yom HaShoah, and feel that it is unnecessary to allow for no comments whatsoever.
Each and every year, we make an effort to go to these events, to remember those who perished during the Holocaust.. Today, there are commerative events to remember those who perished and were killed by the hands of the Nazis. It is also a time to celebrate the lives of those individuals who survived these horrors. Six million Jews were killed during this time, and countless others who were considered to be inferior in the eyes of the Nazis, including those who suffered from mental illness, homosexuals, and gypsies.
This is a time, in this year, when the memories of the Holocaust loom extremely large, and when the words, 'Never Forget' must be taken at their literal value. We face a government today, a President of Iran, who believes that Israel should be wiped off the map, and has given Hamas, a group of militants who believe in the extermination of Jews and destruction of the State of Israel, who holds power in Israel today. Knowing that these individuals are enemies does not make their statements nor positions any less meaningful, and for me, I take seriously the threats made by Iran's President,and those by Hamas towards Israel and the United States.
This is a very disturbing time in our world. Fundamentalist hate groups seem to be cropping up, more and more, which is exacerbated by extremely high gas prices, and a state of our own union, which appears to go from one calamity to another. The United States, in my opinion, will at some point be matched in technology, science and resources by China, and our country, which is currently in debt from the Iraq war and the hurricane disasters, needs to take a serious look at our relations with other nations and act in a diplomatic or harsh sense, if and when indicated.
If for some reason you are able to participate in an activity in your city to commerate Holocaust Remembrance Day, please do so. These are heart-warming and wrenching events, and one which will give deep meaning to you, and at the same time honor those who perished during these terrible years. Moreover, it will keep fresh in the minds of all, that we must Never Forget.
“When my life is over and I meet up with victims of the Holocaust, I shall have the privilege of saying to them, I have never forgotten you.” — Simon Wiesenthal
Thank you for your minds.
Today is a special day in more ways than one. For one, April 23rd marks the one year anniversary of the beginning of this blog. Although time consuming, blogging has been a blessing in that it has allowed me to express some of my deepest, most provocative thoughts, while at the same time, receiving feedback, and meeting some very interesting people while in the process of doing so. Today is also one in which there is a special ceremony and commeroration observing Yom HaShoah, or Holocaust Remembrance Day which takes place officially on April 25,2006.
Since many of you can see that I have been attacked by some unpleasant people on my blog, I have, taken the advice of a fellow blogger, and enabled the comments, which means that I must approve them before they are posted. I am sorry if this is an inconvenience to some, but these steps were necessary in light of the events that transpired below. Moreover, I want others to comment on Yom HaShoah, and feel that it is unnecessary to allow for no comments whatsoever.
Each and every year, we make an effort to go to these events, to remember those who perished during the Holocaust.. Today, there are commerative events to remember those who perished and were killed by the hands of the Nazis. It is also a time to celebrate the lives of those individuals who survived these horrors. Six million Jews were killed during this time, and countless others who were considered to be inferior in the eyes of the Nazis, including those who suffered from mental illness, homosexuals, and gypsies.
This is a time, in this year, when the memories of the Holocaust loom extremely large, and when the words, 'Never Forget' must be taken at their literal value. We face a government today, a President of Iran, who believes that Israel should be wiped off the map, and has given Hamas, a group of militants who believe in the extermination of Jews and destruction of the State of Israel, who holds power in Israel today. Knowing that these individuals are enemies does not make their statements nor positions any less meaningful, and for me, I take seriously the threats made by Iran's President,and those by Hamas towards Israel and the United States.
This is a very disturbing time in our world. Fundamentalist hate groups seem to be cropping up, more and more, which is exacerbated by extremely high gas prices, and a state of our own union, which appears to go from one calamity to another. The United States, in my opinion, will at some point be matched in technology, science and resources by China, and our country, which is currently in debt from the Iraq war and the hurricane disasters, needs to take a serious look at our relations with other nations and act in a diplomatic or harsh sense, if and when indicated.
If for some reason you are able to participate in an activity in your city to commerate Holocaust Remembrance Day, please do so. These are heart-warming and wrenching events, and one which will give deep meaning to you, and at the same time honor those who perished during these terrible years. Moreover, it will keep fresh in the minds of all, that we must Never Forget.
“When my life is over and I meet up with victims of the Holocaust, I shall have the privilege of saying to them, I have never forgotten you.” — Simon Wiesenthal
Thank you for your minds.

24 Comments:
Thanks for reminding me of this date early. This way I won't miss it! I am friends with many gay, black and disabled people. It's too bad I don't know very many Jews personally but I will keep in mind the kind of state torture Nazi's used against their own people as a relevant warning of what can still happen today. Militant groups ect. are all still part of the problem as is, I believe many of the problems that governments have not worked thoroughly enough to abolish for all. Why are we still so segregationalist? Is it me or are societies reverting back to segregationalism? Is it really necessary that we build walls in this century or is that a bandaid solution that will eventually boil over even more?
We will always have ideological fanatics like Amadinejad. As a world community though we should be more concerned about issues like nuclear non-proliferation -not only in disarming countries like Iran that are believed to have malicious intentions for Isreal, but for all countries. Why should Isreal, America, India, Pakistan, Russia, Korea etc. be allowed to have nuclear power if Iran isn't? Is it because Amadinejad is "insane"? Perhaps he is but I think the bigger crime is that we would suppose that nuclear weapons for anyone would have a "sane" application. In my mind, a lot of the prejudice between countries and sects are maintained because they are mutual -they are upheld by mutual fear. Nuclear proliferation grew out of this mutuality -think of the mentality behind Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD). Did it curb the cold war or just let it thrive? There is too much my way or the highway mentality. In Isreal's case, there have been significant progresses at least started with Sharon and continued through Olmert, but while they are pulling out of some settlements, they are building others. As an occupying force the Geneva conventions state that the occupier has to maintain living standards for civilians. How do you do that when the world community is starving them of resources? America needs to be more proactive and vigilant in these issues, for example, following up with an investigation into Rachel Corrie's death so that it can show fairness to both sides so that diplomacy can be strengthened. Here in the West, we have hardly any idea what is really going on.
Hamas is a terrible government who is not easy to work with but Fatah wasn't much better. Terrorist groups and governments can be hypocritical and say one thing and do another. Until we right fundamental problems like poverty and inequality, we can't expect fringe groups won't be popping up. Until things are shared nothing will be secure.
But I hope more people will take notice of this day so that we can prevent more wars. Yesterday marked the worst casuality day for Canadians since the Korean war: four Canadians were killed in a roadside bomb in Afghanistan. Are our militaries really making things better?
Please check out this site as it presents more on the Isreali-Palestinian situation:
www.ifamericansonlyknew.org
I am so glad that you have enabled comments moderation Barbara. No one should have to read such unkindness, least of all you in your quest for a good discussion and an honest, respectful exchange of ideas.
I'm certain that other visitors will support you in your decision. Hopefully, those who are unkind will eventually get bored with their harassment, and move on.
Good thoughts to you,
JLB
Thank you both for your kind, beautiful words. The official day is April 25, 2006, but commerations are being held all over the city, beginning yesterday, and continuing through the week.
This comment moderation is wonderful! Thank you jlb for the great suggestion!
Barb,You are making a great difference in the world sharing these thoughts and perspectives!
I will never forget.I teach my children and I hope they will too,
teach thier own children one day.
NO we should never forget.
Today I am reconizing each flower I see as a sign of hope for the future for peace.There is lots of work for us humans to do in order to feel at peace.Your blog helps.
Our voices make a difference and most of all, our daily actions while we walk on the planet..
Thank you for sharing Barb..this is a very powerful and honorable post today!!!
You are right, it is more important than ever. You know, I think it's weird (and sad) that after all these years there are still hate groups that target someone because of their nationality or skin color. *hugs*
Well done with the comments moderation, B. The people harassing you, like most bullies, thrive on having an audience. Deny them that and they'll eventually move on.
It's amazing how discussions of religion bring out the worst in people, when spirituality is supposed to be about cultivating the best in people.
SirBarrett, I really appreciate your thoughts.
Barbara, I'm so glad that it's working out! So simple, yet so effective!
If only all the other issues such as those that SirBarrett so poignantly addresses could be solved as easily!
There is no one, clear solution for any of the world's issues, but certainly we can all start somewhere, as in the kindness and respect that we show to others in our day-to-day interactions.
Yes, sirbarrett, makes his point quite passionately.
Thank you all for taking the time to write some words on this subject, and the meaning of this day.
I am not Jewish, I am not even sure that I believe that God is only the God of Abraham. That does not matter in the least. We are all here together and to destroy each other over questions of theology is deny the validity of all faiths. All faiths are ultimately unproveable and so are equally valid. It is irrational to kill each other as we each seek to find God and our places in the universe.
History is not something we can deny. It is and we must learn from it and move forward.
I can not forget the Holocaust, the Stalinist purges, the Balkan pogroms and the Rwandan terror. As a species we are our own worst enemy.
More than time that we grew up.
Sorry for the rant. This topic always touches a chord with me
What you call a rant, Mallory, I call a passionate statement.
I am very saddened by the current situation in Dafur.
What a shame people have ben unkind. And I'm glad we can still comment and hope that you don't have to read too many bad ones. Hopefully they'll get bored if no one else can see them.
This was a very thoughtful blog. I hope very many people commemorate the holocaust with forgiveness as well as remembrance.
Thank you, Mig, for your kind and thoughtful words, which are most appreciated!
Never forget is critical, and properly leads to "never again."
It is such an incomprehensible shame that the world still doesn't take genocide seriously. My first awareness of this was in my twenties, when Cambodia was under the Khmer Rouge. I couldn't believe the world was willing to stand by and let it happen - including the US, whose secret bombing of Cambodia under Nixon in the Viet Nam war helped plunge Cambodia into the instability that led to the rise of the Khmer Rouge.
I didn't know about those anniversaries. Happy Anniversary to your blog! April 23 is also the day on which Shakespeare was born... and years later, the day on which he died.
Remembering the Holocaust is very important. We must never forget that we are capable of that kind of evil.
Ap3:
Thank you so much!
I always remember, even as a child, that Shakeseare was born and died on the same date, but I thought it was April 12th. Consequently, as a child, I was afraid I would be like him and die on my birthday!
April 23rd is indeed a wonderful day.
Thank you for your warm comments, as always.
I think it is horrible what the Nazi's did to the Jews. I have a hard time believing that there are people out there that try to make us believe that it never happened. I will never forget.
Bless you, Lucy for taking time to remember.
On April 25, 2006,
To the 6 million Jews, and countless others who died during one of the most horrific periods of history, by persecution, extermination and suffering, you are remembered, and will not be forgotten.
Good post. Never forget, all the people affected in the war, Jews and non Jews. My mother and her family survived a Japanese concentration camp in Indonesia. My Grandfather was in a Japanese prison camp in Japan. It was a sad and horrific time for everyone.
i have written a powerful post on my blog Satmer
I was surprised by some media reports that claim Satmer to have north of 100,000 followers worldwide, could be true but I doubt it.
The loss of the Satmer rabbi Moses Teitelbaum is huge not only to his numerous students but the entire world, Jews and non Jews alike.
It says "v'tzadik y'sod aolem" which means that the very righteous are like beams that hold up a structure to this world.
Every living thing under the sun needs to have some connection to kedusha (holy spirit) for it to remain a viable being. Humans draw their kedusha from the tzadik thus every person is connected to the tzadik whether he agrees to it or not. The moment something loses its connection with kedusha it just ceases to exist.
There has to be a certain amount of very righteous people alive at any time in order for this world to sustain itself, we don't know how many of such righteous people are needed to sustain life on this planet, it could be that its not the quantity that counts but quality, in any case the loss of this great tzadik puts us all in a position that we have to better ourselves, as our sages say that man should always see the world on a scale of plurality of sins and good deeds and even one bad deed can tip the scale and the world self destructs.
Hope that happy days are yet to come.
Amen
A timely, heartfelt post to commemmorate an atrocious period of history.
Your Simon Wiesenthal quote at the end choked me up.
Congrats on your 1 year....Alot of great posts....You've really made me stop and think a few times....Keep up the great posting!!!
We will never forget!!!!
Have a great day!!!
Thank you all for your great comments.
Here is a letter I received from the Simon Weisenthal center, reminding us all never to forget:
Today, as millions of people around the world commemorate Holocaust Remembrance Day and remember the six million Jews who were murdered by the Nazis during World War II, there is one world leader committed to completing Adolf Hitler's vision.
Sixty-one years since the end of the Shoah, Iran’s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, is calling for Israel's annihilation, even as he constantly vilifies the Jewish people, and labels the Nazi Holocaust a "myth".
This week, after learning of the reported planned attendance by Iran's President at the World Cup in Germany this June, an immediate protest was launched by the Simon Wiesenthal Center. We are now asking you to join with us to strengthen our campaign to bar Iran's President from being an honored guest at one of the world's most prestigious sporting events.
The Iranian President (pictured left) is pursuing his dangerous and inflammatory campaign against Israel and the Jews, even as he rushes to nuclearize Iran. The international community must show that there are consequences for such policies. Allowing Ahmadinejad to sit in the VIP section at the World Cup would conjure up bitter memories of the 1936 Olympic Games when leaders of the Third Reich sat in the VIP section in Berlin, a move that gained them stature and acceptance throughout the world.
Ironically, Iran's national soccer team will play in Nuremberg's stadium, just a stone's throw from the very first Nazi marches. And, while Nuremberg's mayor hopes to prevent the visit, he is preparing the city for demonstrations in support of Ahmadinejad and for marches by neo-Nazis hoping to welcome a kindred spirit from Tehran.
Please join us in urging the President of the Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), Mr. Joseph S. Blatter, to bar President Ahmadinejad from attending the games unless and until he withdraws his statements denying the Nazi Holocaust and calling for the obliteration of the State of Israel.
Ahmadinejad's attendance would be a desecration of the memory of the Jews murdered by the Nazis, would make a mockery of their suffering, and would only further embolden his dangerous regime.
Add your voice today to our urgent campaign now. By clicking here you will be sending a letter directly to Mr. Joseph Blatter demanding that action be taken. After signing the petition please forward to your friends, family, and colleagues.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home