Tuesday, May 09, 2006

What Comforts You?

These past couple of weeks have been quite stressful. Too much work, not enough time, issues at home, with friends, with family, the list goes on and on. Some issues have resolved, while others have evolved. There are moments of quiet inside of my head, and other times, the wheels keep on spinning and spinning until I am worn out. Working outside of my home, and continuing with my other work, has left me stretched for time these days.That being said, I am a person who tries to see the glass half full rather than half empty. When feeling as if I need a boast, or some type of uplifting message, with meaning, we all turn to something for comfort. In fact, I need comfort, not chaos and turmoil, and long for those still, precious moments that surface like round bubbles waiting to explode!

What is the meaning of comfort? One person's idea of comfort may be another person's misery. This idea of feeling at peace, serene and even joyful can be so illusive at times. Some of our comforts can be in the form of compulsions or addictions: food, alcohol, gambling, internet pornography, tobacco, shopping, etc. Others may turn within for comfort, and find it in prayer, meditation, quiet time, or God. Other comforts may be of the intangible variety such as music, gardening, running, exercising, sex, reading, quilting, cooking, etc.

For me, comforts vary with my moods. Among those things I find to be comforting include long walks, listening to symphonies, reading, and believe it or not, a good discussion or debate. This later form of discuss seems to really stimulate the cells in my brain and body, and puts me in high gear.

Here is the question of the day: What comforts you and why?

Thank you for your mind.

29 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Seems from looking at the different kinds of comforts you mention that some are basically distractions, and others are energizing and uplifting.

For me, the distracting type's accompanied by a kind of agitation lurking beneath the surface. Energizing comforts bring me more in touch with what's most at peace in me.

When I was able, running was probably the single most comforting/energizing activity I engaged in - once I stopped caring about how far and how fast, and just let my body and breath find its own rhythm.

6:48 PM  
Blogger concerned citizen said...

When I need comfort, a hot bath with a glass of cold wine. & if it's dark I like to turn off the electric light & light a candle.

Or working ouside in the dirt.

7:21 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Music..Gardening..Painting...ahhhhh
I'm ready to retire..lol

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daily readings from the
Language of Letting Go and
The Courage to Change,One Day At A Time in Al-Anon.That is my personal meditation time I count on every single morning at sunrise with my hot cup of coffee.
Nothing compares to the comfort I get from loved ones at home.
Hugs everyday.
Comfort can come in all forms depending on the comfort level I desire.Sometimes I enjoy loud music to comfort me , then a hot soothing soulful peaceful bath.
wow..we humans have so much we can customize to comfort us huh?
Interesting to read these comments in a couple of days to compare.
Its always a pleasure to come by
your blog Barb.Thank you for your support at mine~
Thanks for sharing ~

8:30 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Oh wow..
hum..
Darius is right.. when Im not 'injured' a nice one hour run does the trick.. the channeling of energy.. but the slow rhytm that allows oneself to commute mentally..

Also, a book.. whatever it is.. just to take my mind away! Right now Im reading Nicholas Sparks, Three Weeks with My Brother... its been taking me somewhere else..!

Finally reading and writing blogs.. it takes my mind away!!

T

10:06 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

If I feel stressed....something that comforts me is to read a book....It really helps me....and blogging comforts me alot also....I think reading a book helps me...because it kinda like takes you to that place in the book.....and blogging helps me...because I can express myself....my thoughts or whatever!!!

Have a great day!!!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

I completely believe you when you say a good debate you bring you comfort, it's the intellectual stimulation which helps.
I turn to coke (not drugs!), which is quite bad as it's fattening and full of caffeine and probably more unhealthy ingredients.
But it helps.
Luckily I have some more productive things that help me as well. A call to a friend, leavening a note on my blog and read the comments etc...

1:44 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

What comforts me: reading, writing, comedy, eating healthy, exercise, my friends, my son.

6:09 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

All good answers.

I am also comforted when my children are happy, and feel satisfied with their lives.

My son heard yesterday that he was hired for one of 4 positions among 100s of applicants for his dream job. My daughter is finishing up her B.A. degree. Today, both are happy, so I am happy!

6:13 AM  
Blogger Jade L Blackwater said...

Comforts can vary for me as well, but the "ol' reliables" are my partner, solitude, meditation, and green spaces (trees, forests, gardens, etc.).

I also find comfort in creativity, such as writing, drawing, dancing, gardening, etc. And like L>T, a good hot bath is always a help (but alas, my new little cottage only has a shower stall).

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like oreos. That comforts me. And ice cream too.

Other than that, Roman Stoic Philosophy isn't bad either, so is putting on my t'fillin

7:53 AM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Exercise, blogging, reading and music.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A great big hug, or sex... which jus distracts my mind from what i is nagging me.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

A warm bath comforts me, when I can lie back and switch off.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Sober @ Sundown said...

This in an interesting topic. I have been thinking about how I have felt comforted in my life, and it is not so easy to answer. For me there are different levels of comfort - intellectual, physical and comfort to my very soul.

I love to figure things out; find a solution to a problem or a smoother process. Mashed potatoes comfort me when I am sick, and bubble baths lift me up when I am worn out.

I could have listened forever to my lover's breathing while she lay in my arms. Listening to her kept all the calamity at a distance. Time would pass before me, and I was at peace with doing absolutely nothing. Knowing I am loved gives me the greatest comfort of all.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Mia said...

Comfort for me is enjoying a movie with my kids, long walks with my dog.

And most definately, when my kids are happy, I am most content.

2:03 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I definitely see the distinction between physical, emotional and spiritual comforts.

For physical, I would say excercise, long walks. Emotional, a smile from someone, even a stranger, a hug, being told I am loved, and spiritual, prayer and contemplation.

2:09 PM  
Blogger concerned citizen said...

Mashed potatoes!!! That's a good one. Yummm with gravey.

5:02 PM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

M husband is like a drug. I think just being in the room with him lowers my blood pressure.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Bluebell Vanilla Bean Ice cream with chocolate sauce on top can be a very good comforter for me. I also like talking to friends, praying, listening to music and taking a walk. Sometimes a good nap helps. I try to stay positive and realize that I would rather have my problems than somebody elses.

I remember once when my dad and I went to the hospital to visit a friend. She was in really bad shape and on the way home my dad said, "I guess my problems are little compared to hers." He felt really good after that.

Help others and your problems will look small after that.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Geezerette said...

United we lay, what a nice thing to say about your husband.

I guess it depends on why I need something to comfort me as to what it might be. To relieve stress, I go for a good comedy that makes me laugh a lot.

If I am lonely, I pick up the phone and call someone, or go and see someone.

If I am tired, then nothing beats a nap.

If I am worried about something, then physical work accompanied by prayer seems to do it for me.

Comfort foods are a big hit with me, too. Mashed potatoes and Lots of gravy! (got that from LT) Chocolate! Homemade pea soup! Hot fudge sundae! I think I will stop here and go get something to eat. :-)

8:49 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

gardening definitely! Sometimes shopping... Cooking a huge meal... It used to be running and tennis but since my knee is injured I cant do that! I agree with the comment that a random act of kindness goes a long way too... but that is, well, random and cant be counted on lol... To that avail I think I am going to go out and do some good deeds! That will make me and someone else feel better!! GREAT TOPIC!!

I may actually blog myself! I am in need of some real comfort! I too have had a rough few weeks (ok the entire year really....lol)

I think I may need to try some other tricks as mine are not terribly comforting anymore!

7:32 AM  
Blogger Scott W said...

Putting my head on the pillow every night knowing I have had all I needed for that day. Not once have I not been provided for.

12:40 PM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

He makes me laugh, too. I think we're probabl a perfect match, though not perfect people. I think in a marriage you need someone who compliments and counteracts your flaws. In a lot of ways we're opposites, but there's no one else I'd rather be with. I hate to use cliches', but I think he might be my soul mate.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Lila said...

Comforting... being at home, drinking green tea... being with my doggie... reading a good book... having lunch with a friend...

4:43 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

200th post party going on at my place!!!

Have a great day!!!

12:21 AM  
Blogger I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

Manual labor comforts me. There's something very comforting about molding a bowl or painting a wall and being able to see the result of the few hours of labor. There it is... physically... proof.

But that's just the half of it... the immediate gratification provides a boost when you feel like your wheels are spinning yet not gripping the asphalt... but the best part is the process.

The mediatative quality of a manual project is where things all come together in my head. Not only am I instantly rewarded by every stroke of the paint brush, or every weed pulled from the garden... but it gives me time to communicate with myself...

And through the tedium of the project, my inner dialogue inevitably turns inward ever deeper. I might be outisde ripping up weeds when I'd rather be tearing off my husband's nutsack.... or painting a room and cursing my children for doing handstands in the living room with their shoes on...

But it doesn't take long for my frustration to subside enough that I can recognize my role... nad the REAL reason I'm frustrated. I'm never as honest with myself as when I have a little dirt under my fingernails. That's the truth.

And that's how I find peace & comfort.

1:42 AM  
Blogger Turtleheart said...

I have a hard time finding comfort. Gardening helps. Digging my hands in the soil and touching the earth. Lighting a candle and incense on my altar and just breathing. Petting my cats and hearing them purr. And cleaning my kitchen. I don't know why, but when I am upset, I start to clean, especially the kitchen. I think it brings me peace to put things in order.

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a great blog you have here!

i'm comforted spiritually when i'm in prayer, meditation, connected with my flourite crystal, reading Osho or any self help books, being still and quiet, and working out (yes! working out does it for me spiritually)

emotionally, i comforted when i receive or give tight hugs, receive or give kisses, lay out in the sun (yes! black people do sun bathe (LOL), have passionate sex with my sweetness, eat delicious, healthy foods or drink freshly made organic juices, cry, laugh, and give myself full permission to feel, express, and honor my emotions.

physically, i'm comforted when i'm working out, drinking purified water (hydration ! yes!), laughing really loud, and making my dreams realized.


barbarafromcali--- i (heart) your blog!

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home