Sunday, June 26, 2005

Are you a Collector?

In an effort to write about a topic that has little to do with politics, religion or the media, I was inspired by looking at Erinberry's collection of miniatures the other day. She displayed these amazing and visually stunning little pieces that she has collected. See for yourself. EDITED: Here is the link: http://jesuswasnotarepublican.blogspot.com/

If the truth be told, everything I buy, to some extent or another turns into a collection of sorts. What I mean by this statement, is that it is difficult to stop at one, and consequently, I have many bottles of fragrances, eyeshadows, handbags, lipstick, etc. But when I look at it honestly, these items do not make up a collection. They are a result of obsessive and compulsive buying and spending, something that I am proud to say has diminished substantially today.

But in all truth, I do have a collection and I will tell you about it. My son started playing the violin at the age of 5. As someone who loves music, especially the violin, this made me jump for joy as I shleped him to all of his lessons and concerts when from the time he was 6 years old. What also surfaced from his playing was my love of anything that had to do with the violin. As a result, I have a collection of art, figurines, statutes, sculptures and old world chakas of men and boys playing the violin from all over the world. Everytime we went traveling, from the windy city of Chicago, to the cultural gates of New York, and beyond to Prague, Austria, France, England and Canada, Hungary I picked up something that had to do with the violin. I still remember buying what I thought was a beautiful hand carved wooden figurine in Budapest of a man, who was dressed in a folk costume, playing the violin only to be told by my husband that he resembled Stalin, and why would I buy this particular piece. The answer was simple: I collect violin pieces. Among my items include lithographs of Chagall, dancing Hasidic figures, men dressed up in coats and tails, metal objects, and an original lithograph by Groper of an old world fiddler dressed in the style of an Eastern European Jew.

So here is the question for the day: Are you a collector? What do you collect and how did your interest in these objects get started?

Thank you for your minds.

11 Comments:

Blogger Niobium said...

I collect blogs.

*smirk*

7:14 AM  
Blogger Annieytown said...

I collect aurora borealis jewelry,Hall Autumn leaf and Fireking Jadite china,vintage silverware and 1920's vanity accessories. I started to collect vacation magnets and shot glasses. I think it is silly and fun. I want to start to collect something that is fun and is a challenge. HAGD B!

8:34 AM  
Blogger Urban Chick said...

ooh, please post your lithograph, barbara! (btw, i posted sth else today, dedicated to you! it was about parenthood and vivid imaginations: two things it seems we have in common!)

9:46 AM  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

Beautiful! I love the idea of collecting violin-themed art and objects. As you know, B, I collect perfume, but since I use every bottle I own, I'm not one of those "keepsake" collectors. I'm a practical collector.

My collection of bottles is up to 186 right now, displayed in special display boxes and shelves so I can enjoy the beauty of the bottles. It's a purely sensory experience -- olfactory and visual -- and it gives me a lot of pleasure.

My niece, who is almost 3 years old, visited this weekend. I caught her "huffing" a vanilla candle in the guest room. She's going to be a scent addict just like I am. I sent her home with her very own bottle of Demeter Sugar Cookie. :-)

12:18 PM  
Blogger dddragon said...

Since I was a kid I've collected patches of places that I've been to. Since high school I've collected dragon items (naturally). And since the CowParade came to town and I painted one, I've become the recipient of several cow-related items, and have bought quite a few myself!

2:18 PM  
Blogger yochanan said...

i collect wood cut prints, wood engraved prints, limited edition books with woodcut or wood engraved prints and wood type for letterpress printing.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

I'm a Cancerian... and YES!... Cancerians collect!

There was no link to your friend in paragraph one. I was all ready to go check out her collection...

Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's Kitchen

3:11 PM  
Blogger TLP said...

I collect glass paperweights. I don't know how many I have, but it's quite a few. One of my sons-in-law made me two lighted show cases for them.

5:30 PM  
Blogger erinberry said...

In addition to the portrait miniatures, I love mid-century design and 50s kitsch. I have quite a collection of lamps, china, and glassware from that period; I love that stuff! I'm also acquiring more of that style furniture as it comes along.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Why do we hoard? Anyway, I collect art, books, and eclectic cool looking things.

4:39 AM  
Blogger Sand said...

I'm both a collector and a hoarder! I've collected Teddy Bears since childhood and Hello Kitty items, for a short time I was also a Barbie collector. I've had a fortune cookie slip collection for a number of years as well as a small pressed penny collection.

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home